Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The lull before the storm

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hate this break, people say a nice rest for the run in, time for injuries to heal etc, but it seems to me that players like to play once or twice a week it gives them momentum.
I have no stats but it seems we don't do well after a break or its a very turgid affair at best, when everyone seems to think the players should be raring to go.

Just checked this for you. I remember it being one of the sticks many of us beat Hyypia with, how disorganised we looked after he had the players for two weeks with no games. The stats back this up.

Hyypia post ten or more days break:
P4 W0 D1 L3 F6 A9

Hughton post ten or more days break:
P6 W4 D1 L1 F8 A3

I have included first games of the season in these stats.

So, hopefully, you have nothing to worry about. The only defeat under Hughton after a break was last season against Norwich. This year four wins and a draw, with that draw being against Burnley if you are looking for omens.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Just checked this for you. I remember it being one of the sticks many of us beat Hyypia with, how disorganised we looked after he had the players for two weeks with no games. The stats back this up.

Hyypia post ten or more days break:
P4 W0 D1 L3 F6 A9

Hughton post ten or more days break:
P6 W4 D1 L1 F8 A3

I have included first games of the season in these stats.

So, hopefully, you have nothing to worry about. The only defeat under Hughton after a break was last season against Norwich. This year four wins and a draw, with that draw being against Burnley if you are looking for omens.

And to be fair, you could pick any random 4 games from the Hypia reign and get stats like that - not sure that can be put down to the break! Amazing we scored 6 goals in those.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
And to be fair, you could pick any random 4 games from the Hypia reign and get stats like that - not sure that can be put down to the break! Amazing we scored 6 goals in those.

True, but I am not trying to prove it was the break, more just give a reason why Raileigh Chopper feels the way he does about the Albion post breaks. I just remember the Brentford away game in particular was when I decided he wasn't up to the job. No one seemed to know what they were doing despite Hyypia having two weeks to drum the system in to them.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
True, but I am not trying to prove it was the break, more just give a reason why Raileigh Chopper feels the way he does about the Albion post breaks. I just remember the Brentford away game in particular was when I decided he wasn't up to the job. No one seemed to know what they were doing despite Hyypia having two weeks to drum the system in to them.

I can't remember which game it was, possibly Millwall at home, but I remember watching Elliot Bennett looking totally confused as to why he was spending most of the game filling in at right back while Bruno bombed on. Never seen a bunch of players look quite so much like they had no clue where they were supposed to be or what they were supposed to be doing.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No storm I'm afraid,just a wet weekend and a lot of wind,our board showed its real lack of ambition yesterday by not singing a big name striker.
We'll hobble over the playoff line (just) but anyone who's dreaming of automatic is a fool.
#togethermyarse
Six 1-0 wins, followed by Bobby scoring the winner v Derby at the Amex, and we might just have a bank holiday promotion party in Brighton.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I will be glad when it's over as it s starting to take over my life. Spend most of my time reading NSC and any other Albion related stuff. Working out all possibilities and equations. Sad for a bloke of my age.

It almost has a feeling as being as big as the Hereford match and run in.

Yep for me I just want the storm to be over.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think our fate will be sealed prior to last game of the season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As usual BIG talk and NO action , we will do well to HANG onto a play off place now

Been quaffing a bit earlier than usual due to Easter, dear boy

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It almost feels cruel to have this enforced break just when we were flying, and sitting pretty in an automatic promotion spot once again (games in hand, schmames in hand).

But I think it is the lull before the storm of what could be the most important, and most exciting month in the life of this lovely old football club.

Between April 2nd and May 2nd we have 7 games which could change the fortunes of the Albion more than almost anything that has gone before it. Depending on what happens in those 7 games, we will then head for the North-East for what could be a "winner takes all" game of epic proportions.

I can't bloody wait. You?

Although I agree with the vast majority of what you say here, I don't think it's remotely cruel to have the break, when we're second, have won the last two, and are unbeaten in a good while. It's far worse to go into an enforced break on the back of a bad result or run of form. We can regroup, recover from any niggles, refresh and then focus on the task ahead. How lucky we are to have these players, management team, and the ethos that permeates the club. Whatever happens, the club is in position of strength and it will be a surprise if we don't attract better players in the close season.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Yep me too. Brentford was early in the season as well and yet it was plain as day he wasnt up tobthe job. Poor Sami.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Isn't this about the time we usually spectacularly blow up, and NSC explodes in rage and frustration?

The current love-in fest will last as long as the next dropped point.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
It almost feels cruel to have this enforced break just when we were flying, and sitting pretty in an automatic promotion spot once again (games in hand, schmames in hand).

But I think it is the lull before the storm of what could be the most important, and most exciting month in the life of this lovely old football club.

Between April 2nd and May 2nd we have 7 games which could change the fortunes of the Albion more than almost anything that has gone before it. Depending on what happens in those 7 games, we will then head for the North-East for what could be a "winner takes all" game of epic proportions.

I can't bloody wait. You?

For those of a certain age, probably 45 and under won't even remember 79 so this could be absolutely immense for many. Well the prize on offer these days is beyond comparison anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here