Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Thanks for posting. Am umming and ahing about Big Thief which costs £36. As much as I want to see them, that's pricey especially at a shite venue like Chalk (which, in turn, is less shite than its predecessor).
I did think it was a bit expensive but probably worth it.
I actually quite like Chalk. The sound for Dry Cleaning last week was top notch and you can see the stage from wherever you are- unlike the Haunt days. I think Concorde 2 may be suffering as a result of Chalks success. It seems to host a large number of dodgy sounding cover bands and only the odd gem these days.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I actually quite like Chalk. The sound for Dry Cleaning last week was top notch and you can see the stage from wherever you are- unlike the Haunt days. I think Concorde 2 may be suffering as a result of Chalks success. It seems to host a large number of dodgy sounding cover bands and only the odd gem these days.
Think you're right about C2, and Chalk's effect. Will test your sound thesis next time I'm there. It hasn't stood out in the past, but might be just my Haunt-prejudices influencing my view on Chalk.
I take your point about being able to see, which constitutes an improvement, but it's very difficult to move around when full.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I remember watching Basement through what felt like a Letterbox back in the Haunt days as I was slightly late, still have some of my first gig memories there though.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Made it to my first gig of the year last month.

Gojira at Ally Pally with support from Employed to Serve and Alien Weaponry.

Employed to Serve opened the show with some metalcore and post hardcore that got the crowd moving. Absolutely massive vocals from their lead vocalist Justine Jones, you wouldn't think it was a woman producing those sounds but she's great at it.
PXL_20230222_190256774.MP.jpg

Second support Alien Weaponry are a groove metal band from New Zealand and they really bring their culture with them. Opening their set with a Haka and singing in both English and te reo Maori they bring so much energy they could have headlined. A must see band if you get the chance.
PXL_20230222_195034404.MP.jpg
PXL_20230222_201949396.MP.jpg

Last but by far not least, Gojira.

The best live band on the planet, their mixture of albums of death metal, prog and softer, almost rock elements make for a treat of a set.

The whole crowd singing lyrics and guitar riffs only add to the experience of seeing such an amazing band who bring attention to massive causes. Amazonia a particular highlight, all record sales went to a charity helping indigenous people of the Amazon and it features native instruments and throat singing.
PXL_20230222_210603114.MP.jpg
PXL_20230222_220236515.MP.jpg

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Two great announcements today:
Big Thief- Chalk 13th April
Protomartyr- C2 9th August.
Thanks for the heads up on those. Big Thief is deffo pricey. Decent live but not great or anything.

Quick question: Since Resident Records stopped selling tickets I’ve struggled to always keep on top of gig announcements in the city. How do people track them? Both Songkick and Dice notify me of bands based on my Spotify listening (I think). But that doesn’t cover everything I like and certainly not new bands currently undiscovered by me.

What I’m after is a weekly list of new announced gigs in the city or something similar. Does such a thing exist?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Thanks for the heads up on those. Big Thief is deffo pricey. Decent live but not great or anything.

Quick question: Since Resident Records stopped selling tickets I’ve struggled to always keep on top of gig announcements in the city. How do people track them? Both Songkick and Dice notify me of bands based on my Spotify listening (I think). But that doesn’t cover everything I like and certainly not new bands currently undiscovered by me.

What I’m after is a weekly list of new announced gigs in the city or something similar. Does such a thing exist?
Songkick and Dice list 90% of stuff. Skiddle as well for smaller gigs. Venue websites have them first. Quite often look on Chalk, Komedia and C2 to find stuff I had no idea was on. My job back in the prehistoric age was keeping track of it all and it’s got a lot harder since Resident stopped ticketing. Bring back the Rounder Records board.

Actually while I’m at it, Resident website events are worth checking. Sometimes have outstores at Chalk with fairly big bands for album launches. Tend to be shorter promo gigs but the price usually reflects that

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just started live on Sky Arts … Peter Hook & The Light from the IOW Festival.
Peter Hook is stealing a living singing my God he is shockingly shit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I use a combination of band social media, Songkick and email mailing lists from the ticket agencies I have used in the past.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Peter Hook is stealing a living singing my God he is shockingly shit

This is heaven for me. Joy Division and New Order are my youth, the sounds, instrumentation, lyrics ……… perfection.

He’s a bassist, Ian then Bernie were the vocalists, I’ll forgive him for not being their equal.

Who’s your favourite band of all time?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This is heaven for me. Joy Division and New Order are my youth, the sounds, instrumentation, lyrics ……… perfection.

He’s a bassist, Ian then Bernie were the vocalists, I’ll forgive him for not being their equal.

Who’s your favourite band of all time?
Sorry but he is hardly singing he is just an old man shouting

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You can’t piss on my parade, I’m dancing, on cloud 9 :lolol:.

39 years ago I watched New Order perform Temptation at Portsmouth Guildhall, one of the greatest nights of my life. They just played it brilliantly.
Went to see him live last year with massive reservations but absolutely loved it. They have pretty much nailed the sound and I can put up with his singing!

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
15/06/2023

Lorna Shore supported by Ingested at Engine Rooms, Southampton.

Unbelievable show, so much energy. Ingested was a constant mosh pit and acted as a great warm up.

Then the main act, Lorna Shore. Will Ramos is arguably the best vocalist in modern metal and sounds as good live as on the record. The breakdown of To The Hellfire might be the best bit of music I've witnessed live. The whole show had constant crowd surfing but was incredible. 10/10.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Went to see him live last year with massive reservations but absolutely loved it. They have pretty much nailed the sound and I can put up with his singing!
Keep meaning to get along and see him live. He plays at the Concorde 2 pretty regularly and has released a lot of concert stuff on vinyl.
On a completely different subject- very sad to hear the news that Woody has left Seapower. Expecting Tom White to step in?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Keep meaning to get along and see him live. He plays at the Concorde 2 pretty regularly and has released a lot of concert stuff on vinyl.
On a completely different subject- very sad to hear the news that Woody has left Seapower. Expecting Tom White to step in?
Yeah, very sad news. They certainly won't be the same without him. Not sure if Tom is a permanent replacement - but he'll be doing the upcoming dates for sure.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yeah, very sad news. They certainly won't be the same without him. Not sure if Tom is a permanent replacement - but he'll be doing the upcoming dates for sure.
One of my favourite BSP moments was when Woody queued up outside The Freebut along with all the punters pre show. He will be missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here