Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just come back from Gilla Band at Chalk. Probably up there with the best gigs I’ve seen this year. An attack on the senses, the sound was literally shaking the foundations of the building.
Sad to have missed that but will be at Chalk tomorrow for Crack Cloud.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Then I would watch out for your ears...... I went to many gigs in small venues in my 20s and 30s including early doors of the Great Escape and got some tinnitus from it - I remember the exact gig when my left ear went wrong, Gang of Four. Ringing in your ears after may be a sign of damaged hairs in your ears dying, never to be replaced. If I could turn back time....
Regular ear plug wearer since the pandemic, yes my friends call me a loser

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Missing crack cloud myself, but I’ve got plenty coming up with Mutations next week on Thursday and Friday, got a very decent lineup.
Mutations Festival has a more than decent line up this year. Really looking forward to seeing Squid again and BC,NR for the first time. I know from this thread you attend a lot of gigs - any recommendations of things further down the bill? Only Opus Kink are a 'must see' outside of the headliners at the moment for me.

Don't often travel outside of Brighton for gigs as there's no real need but went up to London last night for Bon Iver. As a live proposition he's been a bit hit and miss for me over the years however last night was absolutely incredible. It included the surreal moment of Taylor Swift turning up to sing 'Exile' and the place absolutely losing the plot.

BonIverTaylorSwift.jpg

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Mutations Festival has a more than decent line up this year. Really looking forward to seeing Squid again and BC,NR for the first time. I know from this thread you attend a lot of gigs - any recommendations of things further down the bill? Only Opus Kink are a 'must see' outside of the headliners at the moment for me.

Don't often travel outside of Brighton for gigs as there's no real need but went up to London last night for Bon Iver. As a live proposition he's been a bit hit and miss for me over the years however last night was absolutely incredible. It included the surreal moment of Taylor Swift turning up to sing 'Exile' and the place absolutely losing the plot.

View attachment 153156
I’m only doing the Thursday and Friday due to the Wolves match, but for me personally I’d go for Pip Blom, Penelope Isles and Do Nothing on the Thursday. Bodega, Pozi, Warmduscher, Squid O., Personal Trainer, and Crows on the Friday, quite a few of these clash so I’ll have to make a decisions myself on those. Lynks and JOHN are good on the Saturday. If you can get to Shame’s headline show they are always fantastic entertainment, and while it’s a shame (if you’ll pardon the pun) to miss them, I’ve seen them 5 times before and they’ve always been superb. If you can catch Egyptian Blue they are well worth the listen, and I think many on this thread can attest BCNR are always good value, I’m seeing them at a sit down matineé in December in London which should be good. Really stacked lineup this year and I’m intrigued who the secret set will be, but I expect I’ll be ten beers down in central Wolverhampton then. I always think these festivals are good for getting to see names you’ve seen on lineups but would never be intrigued enough to see on their own, Jessica Winter for example always seems to support bands I like, but this gives me the opportunity to see them. I’ve never heard of Opus Kink, so that’s a recommendation for me as well.

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
I’m only doing the Thursday and Friday due to the Wolves match, but for me personally I’d go for Pip Blom, Penelope Isles and Do Nothing on the Thursday. Bodega, Pozi, Warmduscher, Squid O., Personal Trainer, and Crows on the Friday, quite a few of these clash so I’ll have to make a decisions myself on those. Lynks and JOHN are good on the Saturday. If you can get to Shame’s headline show they are always fantastic entertainment, and while it’s a shame (if you’ll pardon the pun) to miss them, I’ve seen them 5 times before and they’ve always been superb. If you can catch Egyptian Blue they are well worth the listen, and I think many on this thread can attest BCNR are always good value, I’m seeing them at a sit down matineé in December in London which should be good. Really stacked lineup this year and I’m intrigued who the secret set will be, but I expect I’ll be ten beers down in central Wolverhampton then. I always think these festivals are good for getting to see names you’ve seen on lineups but would never be intrigued enough to see on their own, Jessica Winter for example always seems to support bands I like, but this gives me the opportunity to see them. I’ve never heard of Opus Kink, so that’s a recommendation for me as well.
Yeah Shame and JOHN were already on my schedule. Thanks for the tips - Egyptian Blue have been added to my schedule. Opus Kink released an ep earlier this year that 6music got behind - ‘St.Paul’s of the Tarantulas’ is a killer track. I saw them live last year and they were good.

On another note, I’ve been looking at flights for Primaevra and from Gatwick are insane cost. Aren’t you a regular? How do you get around that? Can maybe justify it for me and my wife but our friends won’t pay £500 each. Do easyJet add flights nearer the time?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
On another note, I’ve been looking at flights for Primaevra and from Gatwick are insane cost. Aren’t you a regular? How do you get around that? Can maybe justify it for me and my wife but our friends won’t pay £500 each. Do easyJet add flights nearer the time?
Book flights to another city further away and get the train. Trains are good value in Spain, and you could enjoy a different place for a day or two.

For instance, flights to Bilbao at that time are about £40 each day, and you could visit San Sebastien, a superb city.

Loads of other options!

Mutations: I assume you're not going to miss the magnificent Bob Vylan on Sunday?

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Book flights to another city further away and get the train. Trains are good value in Spain, and you could enjoy a different place for a day or two.

For instance, flights to Bilbao at that time are about £40 each day, and you could visit San Sebastien, a superb city.

Loads of other options!

Mutations: I assume you're not going to miss the magnificent Bob Vylan on Sunday?
Mutations: Of course not 😀. That said, my expectations are lowered - nothing beats his show at TGE. Sad that Benefits cancelled - they were the one thing on the undercard I was interested in. I’ve seen the rest live before and not been bothered.

Thanks for the tips around Primaevra. Need to give it some more thought. We have 2 young children and can’t justify more time away from them then Thurs-Sun (grandparents would also collapse with exhaustion!). So extra travelling not really viable.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah Shame and JOHN were already on my schedule. Thanks for the tips - Egyptian Blue have been added to my schedule. Opus Kink released an ep earlier this year that 6music got behind - ‘St.Paul’s of the Tarantulas’ is a killer track. I saw them live last year and they were good.

Sorry for not getting back about Primavera, I went for the first time last year and it was decent, slightly corporate, but very good lineup none the less. It didn’t really seem a family festival to be brutally honest, but then what am I to know. Moshing on the concrete certainly takes it out of you. I actually got my travel there for free, as I work for a certain train company which is very popular with so many on here, so I get free European train travel, so the overnight route via La Tour Du Carol is what I used. We managed to get a cheap Vueling flight back about 5 days later, and stayed in the area and had a decent few days (including Peru v New Zealand at Espanyol’s ground). Barcelona was pretty cheap for drinking as well, but most of Europe is.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Getting my ticket to see Pulp in Finsbury Park 1st July. On sale at 9.00a.m
£75!!!! But got to be done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m going to a gig tomorrow night and it’s Gorilla Toss, Crack Cloud (my band and album of the year so far) and the superb Black Midi…all for 29 euros. Gig bargain of the year.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I’m going to a gig tomorrow night and it’s Gorilla Toss, Crack Cloud (my band and album of the year so far) and the superb Black Midi…all for 29 euros. Gig bargain of the year.
Thats pretty good going. I don't know much Guerilla Toss but Crack Cloud and Black Midi both great live. Crack Cloud seem to be playing as a much smaller unit these days. There were seven of them when they played Brighton recently but they incorporated the support saxophone and harpist.
On a different note I saw Porridge Radio on the second of their Hove dates. Not quite as intimate as the Chalk show but brilliant all the same. I just love her vocals.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thats pretty good going. I don't know much Guerilla Toss but Crack Cloud and Black Midi both great live. Crack Cloud seem to be playing as a much smaller unit these days. There were seven of them when they played Brighton recently but they incorporated the support saxophone and harpist.
On a different note I saw Porridge Radio on the second of their Hove dates. Not quite as intimate as the Chalk show but brilliant all the same. I just love her vocals.
She's one of the best performers around, I think. I saw them most recently at EotR, their main set was thrilling, but we also stumbled across them playing an acoustic on the secret stage. So, now seen them 4x at EotR which is where I saw CC and IIRC there were nine of them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair, I only started listening to Guerilla Toss after I saw their name on the line-up. I am very familiar with the other two however.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Bodega, Do Nothing and O. the highlights of Mutations for me. Bodega and Do Nothing are great live so much energy, Bodega seemed to be having a huge amount of fun on stage, even playing a 30 second bonus track for us all. O. have their debut single out next week which should be really decent. Squid played a lot of new stuff which sounded really good, a lot of ambient stuff which I thought sounded very good. Warmduscher were incredibly chaotic but a fantastic show. Sad I missed Pozi, but they were in a tiny venue so didn’t think we’d get in.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Placebo last night in Portsmouth. Finally caught up with them in a reasonably small venue. Good mix of old and new stuff. Strangely, the biggest reaction was for their cover of Tears for Fears 'Shout'. Lights/backdrop were impressive but thought the sound could have been better, seemed a bit messy - set up probably works better in the bigger venues.

They requested that phones/cameras weren't used and pretty much the whole audience adhered to that. It was like being at an old school gig where everyone actually watched the performance in the moment. Hopefully it'll catch on!

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
PXL_20220921_211151261.MP.jpg

Haven't been to too many this year. Ghost in April was amazing.

This shot was from the last one, Oceans Ate Alaska in The Joiners in Southampton, tiny venue that was a constant mosh put the whole set.

Got Electric Callboy at Chalk next week which will be good fun and then it's February for Gojira at Ally Pally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here