Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just got back from seeing Broken Bells. Another gig with impeccable sound and that Danger Mouse fella is one cool, and very self-effacing, dude. I also had my first foray into free jazz a week ago with Peter Brötzmann.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Goldfrapp were excellent last night, certainly helped make up for the disappointment of Friday nights balls up.

Started of with 6 tracks from the new album, and then started going a bit more glam-rock towards the end, highly enjoyable.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How did it go?

Interesting, fascinating and enjoyable. The closest my personal listening has come to this sort of stuff is a bit of Sun Ra. There is a hell of a lot to take in at these gigs and it was an aural assault at times and I cannot claim to have totally understood everything I witnessed but I will certainly go again. I had a facinating chat with a local guy who explained a lot of what free jazz is all about after the gig. It's quite an interesting scene.

Just bought a ticket to see East India Youth who is playing in a small bar I go to.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Youthful post-punkers Grasshopper play a free gig at the Seven Stars tonight, around 9pm. Worth popping your head around for an hour if you are in town. They are very young and very raw but have the songs and an outstanding frontman. Resident are keen

http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=28337

Spit Shake Sisters who I've been banging on about for a while play the Cowley Club tomorrow night for £3 - I wrote a few words here

http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/listing?p=78692&t=p

Next weekend looks amazing for gigs. I've got Forest Swords on Friday night, Jospehine Foster Saturday night, Esben and the Witch & Thought Forms Sunday lunchtime and then Stephen O'Malley/Aluk Toldo/ Lutine to finish it off.

And an Albion game!

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Next weekend looks amazing for gigs. I've got Forest Swords on Friday night, Jospehine Foster Saturday night, Esben and the Witch & Thought Forms Sunday lunchtime

Any idea what time Esben are on ? I used to work with Thomas and havn't seen them since they played the Pavilion Theatre a couple of years ago. Thought they were great that night and expected big things for them .

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Next weekend looks amazing for gigs. I've got Forest Swords on Friday night, Jospehine Foster Saturday night, Esben and the Witch & Thought Forms Sunday lunchtime

Any idea what time Esben are on ? I used to work with Thomas and havn't seen them since they played the Pavilion Theatre a couple of years ago. Thought they were great that night and expected big things for them .

They play the Hope at a matinee show, tickets availble if you buy the split record (which is very good) with Thought Forms from Resident I'd imagine they'd be on around 1.30-2.00 pm. Thought Forms are worth seeing as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was really impressed with EIY earlier this year

http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/listing/?p=72347

His album presses a lot of my musical buttons and seeing him at a bar I frequent should be excellent according to your review. I have read a few interviews with him and he seems a sharp kid; he's going to go a long way I think. Oh, and having been in Berghain at 6am I'll let you know if Hinterland is out of place or not :wink:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
East India Youth is supporting British Sea Power at KOKO London this Wednesday. No suprise it is sold out. I don't have a ticket sadly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Next weekend looks amazing for gigs. I've got Forest Swords on Friday night, Jospehine Foster Saturday night, Esben and the Witch & Thought Forms Sunday lunchtime and then Stephen O'Malley/Aluk Toldo/ Lutine to finish it off.

And an Albion game!

That's some weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here