Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Bonfire Thread

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
If you want tickets for the Cliffe firesite, you'll need to buy them in advance.

None for sale on the day. And none for sale after they've all gone.

It goes without saying that they run a membership scheme.

:)
Is it a Blue membership, or Gold?

I won't be there this year. How did Firle go at the weekend? First one I've missed in 8 years as I was moving house!! Won't be missing next years though.

What did "the guv'nor" blow up this year, or have I got to go on Firle's website tonight to find out?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If you do have to come to Lewes on the fifth, avoid places like the War memorial, If you go further up the town towards the prison, it does become a little less crowded, but still busy.

It goes without saying that due to the nature of the event, and the noise of fireworks and the crowded streets, its best not to bring dogs (seen done many a time), and be wary of bringing young children, especially in push chairs.
But also if driving in, be aware that there are crowded roads full of people leaving firefields, and processions back straight after the fireworks, so you should expect a long wait to leave Lewes, it would be better to leave after the procession has passed, as the crowd will likely follow the procession back into town.

It is probably better to be part of the processions than stuck at the back of a crowded pavement struggling to see + you get closer to see the fireworks being let off too.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I can see every firework display from my back garden which backs onto commercial square's fire site.

As for people coming into Lewes.....you've all beeen told to f*** off...it ain't for you. Infact, if you live in Lewes and are going to watch the procession, you can f*** off too as i've been told by numerous Cliffe members that they don't want crowds there because it's an evening for the members....and if you get a firework thrown in your face, tough titty...you shouldn't be there.

Oh and if the Cliffe decide to hold up the proceedings for two hours...."it's because they can" is the explanation i've had many times over.

What an absolute bunch of ****s

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can see every firework display from my back garden which backs onto commercial square's fire site.

As for people coming into Lewes.....you've all beeen told to f*** off...it ain't for you. Infact, if you live in Lewes and are going to watch the procession, you can f*** off too as i've been told by numerous Cliffe members that they don't want crowds there because it's an evening for the members....and if you get a firework thrown in your face, tough titty...you shouldn't be there.

Oh and if the Cliffe decide to hold up the proceedings for two hours...."it's because they can" is the explanation i've had many times over.

What an absolute bunch of ****s

Just as predictable as HB&B posting about pride

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Since when was Lewes a no go zone? If you've never seen it before then go, it's the biggest and best torchlight procession in the world.

Is it a Blue membership, or Gold?

I won't be there this year. How did Firle go at the weekend? First one I've missed in 8 years as I was moving house!! Won't be missing next years though.

What did "the guv'nor" blow up this year, or have I got to go on Firle's website tonight to find out?

The pictures are here:-

http://allthingsbrightonbeautiful.com/gallery/firle2007

If you look VERY carefully, you might see a small seagull dangling from the sign to Falmer.

fbs07036.jpg

Does anybody know anything about the one in Newick on Sat 3rd where and how much etc.
First procession 6.15pm
Main procession 7.15pm
Firework display 9.00pm on the Green

Newick Bonfire Society have invited 20 other bonfire societies, a brass band, a samba band and some pipers.

All free of charge. The A272 road is closed from 7.30pm until 11.00pm.

The Bull, the Royal Oak and the Crown all tend to get a bit crowded.

Last time I went, I bumped into .....

.... looney :eek:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Since when was Lewes a no go zone? If you've never seen it before then go, it's the biggest and best torchlight procession in the world.

It's not a no-go zone but given the numbers attending and the robust policing (since all leave is cancelled, it's not a very popular event with some of the constabulary who have been drafted in from all over Sussex) spectators should be aware that the evening may not be as enjoyable as they expected. It's totally unsuitable for small children and anyone who dislikes crowds or loud bangs! It's slightly quieter at the top end of the town but expect absolute mayhem at the more popular sections of the procession routes.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There was a write up in the Telegraph yesterday, apparantly due to a change in the law the practice of dropping fireworks is now illegal and police will hand out instant fines - should be an interesting evening then

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went to the Newick one last night it was excellant apart from driving home and 1 arsehole walking in the middle of the road stopping traffic as to quote him' the road is closed until 11.00pm'. The traffic was moving at walking pace as people left and most people were walking on either side of the road and the cars, myself included were driving down the white line in the middle of the road as the way from HH was blocked off. One walker suggested running him over as the road was closed the car insurance wouldnt have been in force and he would have had to sue somebody who hit him. Not sure if that is correct but it was tempting.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

We do not want people to come to Lewes on the 5th because Lewes is only a small market town with narrow streets, large crowds impact on the processions, which have to try to pass down the streets through the crowds. This often means that there are areas where there are too many people who end up standing in the road, which can lead to problems, especially if an emergency vehicle then has to pass through the procession which can't really move out the way because of the crowd. The message has always been for people not from Lewes to stay away. Could you imagine how many would turn up if it was advertised and all welcomed. We in the bonfire societies have been in discussions with train companies etc, to try to stop extra trains being put on to limit numbers arriving.

If you want to come to Lewes on the fifth, join a society and join a procession or stay away is my advice

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
If you want to come to Lewes on the fifth, join a society and join a procession or stay away is my advice

Which is exactly why I've never been!

Little boys clubs to let off some bangs and colours and burn stuff all under the name / banner of some age old 'members club'.

Pathetic.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There was a write up in the Telegraph yesterday, apparantly due to a change in the law the practice of dropping a monster turd on the pavement is now illegal and police will hand out instant fines - should be an interesting evening then

:D:D:D:D

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

Oh do f*** off.

people come in to Lewes on the 5th to enjoy themselves. If the crowds disappeared, so would the spectacle and then the societies.

On second thoughts, please stay away

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Having been to Lewes as a spectator, and in the procession the best times are when you are part of the procession. It's very well organised, and very much done for the people in the societies.

This clap-trap about if people didn't turn up then it wouldn't happen is nonsense. Some of the societies run their own processions with a very low attendence, especially when the weather is bad. Still, members turn up in full costume (not always mud friendly either - Balcombe(?) a few years back comes to mind when you could barely get in the firesite) to enjoy their evening.

Oh, and Robertsbridge... I have some very nasty memory blanks from that one!!! Urgh!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here