Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Bonfire Amex/Seagull Effigy

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
By The Borough Bonfire Society of Lewes.
Quite good attention to detail, could have been bigger...

Thoughts?

IMG_1178.jpg

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Do they choose effigies simply because they are topical or do they choose stuff they want to burn because they're not big fans?

Do they choose effigies simply because they are topical or do they choose stuff they want to burn because they're not big fans?
This isn't an "effigy". It's a tableau.

Tableaux can be celebrations or they can be condemnations. They are usually, but not always, topical. This one was a celebration.

Other themes this year:-

Cliffe - Gaddafi in a Toyota Hilux driven by the Devil and the Grim Reaper
Waterloo - Rebecca Brooks riding Murdoch as a dinosaur
Commercial Square - Cameron putting the Uk through the wringer
Southover - The Pig Society and Riots
South Street - Harry Potter

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Tableaux can be celebrations or they can be condemnations. They are usually, but not always, topical. This one was a celebration.

thanks for that, in that case, very good.

I saw a picture online of last year's cameron and clegg. That was amazing.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I was only going by what I was reading and seeing in The Argus. Clearly states it was one of the effigies on the night

This is the Argus - last week in their story about racism in football they couldnt tell the difference between 'condone' and 'condemn'

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I dont think they were objecting - it's just a newsworthy story that they're commenting on in firework form.

Really ? I'm not so sure myself. I don't recall any burnings of Norman Baker and his cronies when the battle was being fought and now all of a sudden they are "celebrating" the new stadium ?

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick

There must be more than a few people on this board who would have liked to have seen Glenn Murray on this list.........

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Probably a bit of both with the condemn/condone (and more of the former), but we've got to have some sense of humour about it.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Really ? I'm not so sure myself. I don't recall any burnings of Norman Baker and his cronies when the battle was being fought and now all of a sudden they are "celebrating" the new stadium ?

I'm guessing your recollection of Bonfire history is not top notch. That aside, what part of the tableau is 'objecting' to the stadium? Is it the "Home to Roost" on the side? Or the smile on the seagull's face in his new home? Or is it the fact you don't actually understand Bonfire?

Dandyman

In London village.

South Street did burn the evil two during that era. I presume you have also forgotten the support given by the Rooks and the significant number of Albion fans that are Bonfire members.

Dandyman

In London village.
:
I'm guessing your recollection of Bonfire history is not top notch. That aside, what part of the tableau is 'objecting' to the stadium? Is it the "Home to Roost" on the side? Or the smile on the seagull's face in his new home? Or is it the fact you don't actually understand Bonfire?

Is the right answer. :thumbsup:

Lewes Seagull

Jan 23, 2010

That's very big brush you need to tar us with the same ideas of a few local councillors. Get your facts straight before you try to condemn every Lewes resident. A lot of us Lewesians were as pissed off with them as you were.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's very big brush you need to tar us with the same ideas of a few local councillors. Get your facts straight before you try to condemn every Lewes resident. A lot of us Lewesians were as pissed off with them as you were.

Which was demonstrated when the Seagulls Party got 28% of the local council election votes in 2005.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
ugc-

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here