Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The level of literacy on NSC...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
...is quite appalling.

Could we only have literate, coherent, articulate drivel, please? Threads and replies need to be written in full sentences containing a subject, object, an active verb, and featuring a well thought out intelligent term of abuse.

I am not one of those pedants who would argue the case for or against splitting infinitives; a rule made up by snobbish scholars who believed that an out-of-date, unused and largely irrelevant language should govern the rules of sentence construction, vocabulary and grammar.

However, the use of punctuation, especially the apostrophe, is quite scandalous. It should be used for contraction (e.g. "you're" for "you are", "it's" for "it is"), or for possession relating to the noun (e.g. Dave's) - but not the pronoun (e.g. its, his, hers).

Get it right, you illiterate wankers.

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
The Large One said:
an active verb, containing a well thought out intelligent term of abuse.

ps you don't need a comma there,

marvellous :angry:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Large One said:
...is quite appalling.

Could we only have literate, coherent, articulate drivel, please? Threads and replies need to be written in full sentences containing a subject, object, an active verb, containing a well thought out intelligent term of abuse.

And these are good examples ?

Your use of the comma is woeful !

Clown :jester:

I must admit I am terrible with spelling and punctuation.

I was never that bad at school, but since working, I have become very lazy. I have spell check and grammer correction automatically on my email and word documents.

I blame technology!:lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Actually, Redland and Titanc, the use of the comma in those sentences is perfect. It is sloppy teaching in secondary schools that has mistakenly altered the use of the comma. When constructing a list within a sentence, you should always put a comma before the 'and'. It's true, I'm afraid.

Having said that, I did miss out the word 'and' between 'verb' and 'containing'.

Oops!:shootself

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Was that a deliberate malapropism? Or are most posters on here bastards?

*struggles to find 'malapropism' in dictionary*

Yes, it was deliberate.

Last edited:

Sam

Formerly "Sambo"
Jul 22, 2003
Oxfordshire
SHUT IT LARGE ONE:angry:

oh, and u've pressed the comma key way too many times for my liking!

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sam said:
SHUT IT LARGE ONE:angry:

Shan't (a contraction of "shall not").

The above statement was not a coherent sentence, more a brief, unrehearsed comment of dissent and non-conformity to an actively hostile suggestion of censure.

By the way, Voroshilov, that second statement was interrogative, and should therefore have a question mark at the end.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

Sam

Formerly "Sambo"
Jul 22, 2003
Oxfordshire
for fcuk's sake large one, no one is fcukin arsed about using stupid commas:angry:

that comma is there by habit only

Last edited:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I'm not happy with your use of the hyphen in your penultimate paragraph.

Shouldn't " However, the use of punctuation, especially the apostrophe, is quite scandalous. It should be used for contraction (e.g. "you're" for "you are", "it's" for "it is"), or for possession relating to the noun (e.g. Dave's) - but not the pronoun (e.g. its, his, hers). "

actually read :-

" However, the use of punctuation, especially the apostrophe, is quite scandalous. It should be used for contraction (e.g. "you're" for "you are", "it's" for "it is"), or for possession relating to the noun (e.g. Dave's), but not the pronoun (e.g. its, his, hers). "

You got it right with the first set of brackets, why not the second ?

BTW most of the problems ( excepting FG's who obviously attended East Brighton College of Media Arts ) arise from a lack of touch typing skills.

Your quiet write about the missuse of apostrophe's.

example69.jpg

example80.jpg

example81.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here