Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"The legendary Scouse humour"?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Actually Ken Dodd IS funny.

Happiness, happiness the greatest gift that I possess...

The joke in that song is that the lyrics are actually......

A penis, A penis, the greatest gift, that I possess
I thank the Lord that I've been blessed
With more than my share of A Penis

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ken Dodd - shit.
You might not find him funny, I don't, but I know he'll still make me laugh, at something.

Dodd definitely isn't shit.

Remember Ricky Gervais having to fill for 5-10 mins at one of the Wembley charity things.
He couldn't even do that, and ended up gooning like a simpleton.

We all know the likes of Dodd, Tarbuck, Monkhouse would have needed crow barring off the stage after an hour, even with no prepared material, and crucially, you would have laughed.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I worked in Liverpool for 14 years and loved it. There is an element of double standards, (Hilarious 'Munich 58' references when I first went there..........until they realised what it was like to suffer tragedy themselves in a football context) but no worse than many other towns in that regard.

What I would say is that the girls there always made a BIG effort on a Saturday night out to spam themselves up.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Not a commedian by trade but very witty: John Lennon

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Ken Dodd: outsold only by The Beatles
New research shows that Ken Dodd was one of the biggest selling chart stars of the '60s, beaten only by The Beatles.

Ken Dodd was one of the biggest selling chart stars of the '60s, beaten only by The Beatles. His hit single Tears was the third biggest selling single of the decade, according to a newly compiled chart which brings together sales data from the era.

Unsurprisingly The Beatles dominated the chart, which was counted down by BBC Radio 2 yesterday, with five tracks in the top 10.

Comedian Dodd scored a string of hits in the early 60s, including what became his signature tune Happiness, but the biggest of them was Tears. The single went to number one and was the highest seller of 1965. Sales data compiled by The Official Charts Company shows that it outsold monster hits such as Can't Buy Me Love and I Feel Fine by The Beatles, which were placed in fourth and fifth position in the new chart.

The largest selling single of the 1960s was She Loves You by The Beatles, followed by I Want To Hold Your Hand.

It means that the entire top five is taken by acts from Liverpool. :guitar::guitar:

The Radio 2 programme, presented by Tony Blackburn, spanned the period from January 1 1960 to December 31 1969.

The Beatles take up six places in the top 20 and made up nearly a third of the 60 tracks played by Blackburn, with 18 entries.

But the list shows that it was more than guitar groups which dominated the charts. Alongside Dodd, other big sellers included yodelling Frank Ifield, Engelbert Humperdinck, Acker Bilk and Rolf Harris. And the highest female artist is Cilla Black with Anyone Who Had A Heart.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No. I came close to shitting myself, and left as quickly as I could. Why, what would you have done?

Fortunately, the sight of the gun sobered the lass up pretty quickly, too.

We had a similar experience at Charlton away in the 70s Hansy when we were 4-0 up with a few minutes to go. (Ronnie Howell hatrick) After a Brighton fan had told a Charlton twat to clear off because he had a gun the fellow did exactly that but came back on 90minutes and showed us that he had one as well. I think he lived local and had nipped home to get his one when the gates had opened. I was pretty young at the time and looking back it might have been a starting pistol but it certainly had the desired effect. I`ve never run the 100 metres in 10 seconds since.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Strange. I lived there for 4 years, went out in town 3 or 4 nights a week, and nobody ever once tried to fight me. Perhaps it was just you!

doubt it fella never thrown the first punch in my life or started a fight sorry to disoppoint you, but never judge a book by its cover. Funny I did also get shot at once at a set of traffic lights near Kirkby town football club.

seperate note anyone go in the pink parrot and club x in Liverpool town centre, and I must admit the best record shop ever was in Liverpool Probe records fantastic shop.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Another vote for Lexei (especially for the Fish People Tapes); & Mr Nigel Blackwell of HMHB. Marvelous Merseyside Scenes.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Another vote for Lexei (especially for the Fish People Tapes); & Mr Nigel Blackwell of HMHB. Marvelous Merseyside Scenes.

whatever happened to this little fella
images

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
mine was nothing to do with football. It was in my local, (the Bell Inn, in Aigburth) where this local crackhead was hassling one of my missus' college mates. She was pretty pissed, and not doing a very good job of sending him packing, so I politely asked him to leave her alone. So he got all agitated and pulled a gun on me. As you do.
There isn't a Bell Inn in Aigburth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here