Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Laughing Onion

Sorry to read in the Argus that this Kemp Town restaurant is closing.

Don't know if the food was the best you'd ever find in Brighton but it was always a great place to take people who wanted a slightly different atmosphere.

Happy retirement to Jean-Jacques, the crooning cook :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The food was borderline attrocious but I don't think people went there for that, deffinately will be missed.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Went there once, when my dad booked the place out for his birthday. Jean-Jacques was, and probably still is, an utter fruitloop.

It'll be a shame to see another bit of Kemptown individuality lost (probably) to something corporate and expensive. At least we can still drink in the Bristol :thumbsup:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
terrible terrible food ( a cassoulet with baked beans and frankfurters!) a choice of red or white wine (yes a choice of two wines) but great to see the old fella singing.

i reckon he's made the right choice in retiring now, thanks jean-jacques...the memory of you singing les feuilles mortes while letching at our friends tits will not be forgotten!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
WAVE if you can be seen in a picture in the window! :wave:

A BRILLIANT singer, seriously - Frank Sinatra wouldn't sound great in that environment but Jean-Jacques really, really knew what he was doing. As for the food, well, it was better the last time I went, about six months ago (I suspect the pianist may have been getting more involved with it), but that was hardly the point of the place.

If I've ever had a more mental, unforgettable night than my mates' birthday about two years ago in there, I can't remember. Bravo, JJ!:bowdown: :bowdown:

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I used to live in Kemptown and went there once. I remember the food being ok, certainly no worse than that, but it was a cracking little atmosphere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here