Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Oh - I see.

People investing in banks who are profiteering and making large amounts of money out of homeowners ('good profits out of high interest rates') and so on have taken a one day decrease in their investments.

Maybe they could invest in something more ethical?
Let's hope that any pension or savings funds you have are not affected, and invest in things that you might approve of.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh come on HT, does it really matter that he said ‘ took a mauling’ when ‘took a tumble’ would have sufficed.
I thought the word Telegraph would get you going, just like the word Guardian does it for me! Have another good German beer and chill.
I had quite a few cans of Hacker-Pschorr in the fridge and just went to get one only to find there were none left. I should have known, my youngest was down from London recently and the little so and so has finished the lot!🍺😳
My beer supplies have surely taken a real mauling! He may say they have taken a tumble.😁
I personally think it does matter; it is vitally important to choose the correct words to convey one’s thoughts. Otherwise you could be mistaken for using hyperbole to drive an agenda….which I’m sure isn’t the case with @Is it PotG?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And who is responsible for the shitshow that has enveloped the Government following Rachel Reeves clumsy decision re the WFP?
I think quite a few on her own side would say Starmer and Reeves. There was always a case to be argued re the universality of the benefit, but the way this has been done is, quite frankly and from a Labour Government, pretty dismal.
I am with you on this. I can't believe there isn't more low hanging fruit she could have grabbed before the WFP.

But compared to the damage, incompetence and corruption of the past 14 years, it is a drop in the ocean.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I am with you on this. I can't believe there isn't more low hanging fruit she could have grabbed before the WFP.

But compared to the damage, incompetence and corruption of the past 14 years, it is a drop in the ocean.

There really is no need for old folk to freeze this winter .

Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 10-07-05 (11) Home _ X.png

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The total desperation of some posters on this thread is absolutely superb :laugh:

Here's something they can print out and frame to comfort themselves through these difficult times :wink:

View attachment 188048
To be fair, none of those took away the Winter Fuel Payments for someone like my 87 YO (Labour member/supporting, Labour leaflet dropping) mother-in-law, pensioner, lives in Whitehawk, just above the 'threshold' which she will now lose.

Sometimes you have to acknowledge when the Govt. has f***ed up - and RR has done so on this one.

Last edited:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
The veiled threat to tax big bank profits hit much harder on Lloyds and and NatWest this week because for each of the, the vast majority of their profits are generated from UK banking. Unlike HSBC and Santander whose share prices were barely hit, as UK revenues/profits represent only a small slice of those banks worldwide profits.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
To be fair, none of those took away the Winter Fuel Payments for someone like my 87 YO (Labour member/supporting, Labour leaflet dropping) mother-in-law, pensioner, lives in Whitehawk, just above the 'threshold' which she will now lose.

Sometimes you have to acknowledge when the Govt. has f***ed up - and RR has done so on this one.
Haven't they just and Rachel thieves will do everything to stuff up the economy fuel Tax will be great to get the economy going.......not. never mind the public sector will have fat wallets to go on shopping sprees.
COVID, The Ukraine War and now Reeves & Starmer, just how deep will that black hole be?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Early days yet for this administration. Plenty of time for things to go wrong, get worse or get better. There will be the inevitable cock-ups that all Governments make from time to time. Party politics apart, I hope they make a success of Government for the good of the country, but I can’t say I am brimming with confidence or enthusiasm at the moment.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Haven't they just and Rachel thieves will do everything to stuff up the economy fuel Tax will be great to get the economy going.......not. never mind the public sector will have fat wallets to go on shopping sprees.
COVID, The Ukraine War and now Reeves & Starmer, just how deep will that black hole be?
By increasing Tax and sending Billions overseas we can reverse "climate change" so we will all be better of in the end

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is a significant hit, totally unnecessarily.

I'm sure you'll agree,.
I see Nat West shares are up again. Will you give credit to the Labour government for this? Or do you only associate them with bank stock when they take a slight dip?

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Same as when the Tories tried it, I don't get the tightening of smoking laws (Don't smoke/Vape) it will just drive people to the black market/doing it in their own houses, which is worse.

The only change I would make to the existing rules is having an exclusion zone outside health care buildings.
The damage was done when smoking was banned in both bars, this law change will prob push smokers onto the street. As an ex-smoker who gave up over 15 years ago I do sympathise with smokers as they pay a lot of tax so should be accommodated but the percentage of people who smoke has been heading down over the decades. I don't really want to swerve crowds of pavement smokers even though I am well over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here