Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Genuinely, I don’t know about that.

In the 70’s we really were sh1t. It probably passed everyone here by at the time, because kids/teens/20’s were having a good time being young.

Very different scenarios. The last 25 years has been notable for greed, wealth built on just owning a decent home in southern England, BTL’s, holiday homes in Spain/France/West Country, and the ever growing numbers (10m’s) of have-nots.

The last few weeks have seen the beginnings of rebalancing.

The next step …. far closer trading, scientific, r&d ties with the EU.

Obviously, we're all grown ups so i'm not going to insult anybody by putting up graphs but we all know that wealth inequality is increasing hugely year on year and has been for the last couple of decades. You either have to believe that is justifiable and try to capture the people who have suffered from it, with simple slogans :wink: or it is not, and if not, where should it be regulated. And how should that regulation be defined ?

I appreciate that for both yourself and myself this isn't quite as intense as it may be for some others, and wouldn't suffer as much and consequently not be so susceptible to simple grifters but it's an interesting question ???

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Once we start our journey back to single market and eventually the EU we will start to see improvement in the U.K.

Luckily Starmer is forging ahead with closer links to the EU.

I know that will anger some but to you I say this;

We let you have a choice and you chose poorly. You’re not to be trusted so it’s time to let the educated make choices for you.
I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you.

👍

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Obviously, we're all grown ups so i'm not going to insult anybody by putting up graphs but we all know that wealth inequality is increasing hugely year on year and has been for the last couple of decades. You either have to believe that is justifiable or it is not, and if not, where should it be regulated. And how should that regulation be defined ?

I appreciate that for both yourself and myself this isn't quite as intense as it may be for some others, but it's an interesting question ???

In a non Stalinist state. By a series of capital taxes increases, new high end bands of council tax, UK second homes to betax heavily eg council tax. Using that revenue to help build social and affordable homes. Higher personal allowance, get the 850,000 not claiming pension credit to claim it.

In the medium to long term really shrinking the private rented sector through the supply of new homes lessoning demand and tax tweaks making it a less attractive investment.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In a non Stalinist state. By a series of capital taxes increases, new high end bands of council tax, UK second homes to betax heavily eg council tax. Using that revenue to help build social and affordable homes. Higher personal allowance, get the 850,000 not claiming pension credit to claim it.

In the medium to long term really shrinking the private rented sector through the supply of new homes lessoning demand and tax tweaks making it a less attractive investment.

I didn't come here for a lecture in communism :wink:

But I agree, after the last 20 years we need some radical thinking :thumbsup:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

What if that house is rented as the occupiers pay the council tax, not the owner?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Keep it between the two of us, but I think @Weststander may be the red under the bed I was warned about in the 60s :wink:

Plus:
75% IHT on estates over £750k.
Pension pots brought into IHT estates at all ages.
Scraping of the potentially exempt transfers and gifts regimes.
BHCC’s highest three council tax bands - the annual charge quintupled.
An annual wealth tax of 2% on all households with total wealth greater than £1m.
:fishing:

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
Once we start our journey back to single market and eventually the EU we will start to see improvement in the U.K.

Luckily Starmer is forging ahead with closer links to the EU.

I know that will anger some but to you I say this;

We let you have a choice and you chose poorly. You’re not to be trusted so it’s time to let the educated make choices for you.
I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you.

👍
Wow, so everyone who voted for Brexit was uneducated. Do you ever stop and think before you post ridiculous statements like this?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Plus:
75% IHT on estates over £750k.
Pension pots brought into IHT estates at all ages.
Scraping of the potentially exempt transfers and gifts regimes.
BHCC’s highest three council tax bands - the annual charge quintupled.
An annual wealth tax of 2% on all households with total wealth greater than £1m.
:fishing:
Commie!

(I'm IN!)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wow, so everyone who voted for Brexit was uneducated. Do you ever stop and think before you post ridiculous statements like this?
Good point. A businessman mate of mine thought he'd make a few quid out of Brexit, and he's not stupid.

Mind you, he lost a few quid and wishes he'd (you can guess the rest).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We have to face up to the fact there are a lot of people in this country that are easily persuaded to act against their own interests.

I would say poorly informed rather than uneducated

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Those wishing to discuss Brexit are cordially invited to vacate this thread and head over to the smouldering bin fire that is the Brexit thread.

This thread is for discussion on the current Labour government.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The irony is, of course, we’d pay way less tax if we weren’t propping up the monarchy, who are shafting the working class, train drivers included.

The other irony is that if you don’t give pay rises to high earners they eventually get caught up by the low earners. Well done comrade.
How much less tax would we pay? According to this site, which claims that the cost of the monarchy is far more than the official figures, the monarch costs £345m per year. That's £5 per head per year, or 10 per person per week. How would that translate into tax cuts?

Also, would it become necessary to provide other expenses that would reduce the savings, eg. cost of state visits and maintenance of palaces?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How much less tax would we pay? According to this site, which claims that the cost of the monarchy is far more than the official figures, the monarch costs £345m per year. That's £5 per head per year, or 10 per person per week. How would that translate into tax cuts?

Also, would it become necessary to provide other expenses that would reduce the savings, eg. cost of state visits and maintenance of palaces?

Why would you pay for state visits or palaces if you abolish the monarchy? You’d save on that and generate income by turning any sites that weren’t lived in to either tourist attractions (money to state) or rented property (money to state).

And you’d suddenly have a family of rich aristocrats paying tax.

Is someone from Burnley really saying 345 million isn’t a lot of money? I suggest you look up how much The Amex cost to build and translate that into hospitals.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Do you Brexiters ever bother looking at evidence and facts instead of basing your views on emotions and wallowing in a feeling of victimhood?
Leavedu.JPG

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here