Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He just acts like a dictator that is my opinion, but it is also the view of probably most of the left on here who read the Guardian.
Please watch to the end that little rascal really gets stuck in to lying Starmer,

Don't confuse being strong with being a dictator - there is a whole range in between.
Anyway - if that's it, and it's from a year ago, I think we'll file it under the 'nothing to see here' category.

Can I now please have my questions answered?
Provide a list and I'm sure some of us will have a go.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
He just acts like a dictator that is my opinion, but it is also the view of probably most of the left on here who read the Guardian.
Please watch to the end that little rascal really gets stuck in to lying Starmer,

Can I now please have my questions answered?

I'm on the left & read the Guardian. I think Starmer's doing an excellent job & that Owen Jones is a ridiculous, dishonest little grifter, with the moral compass & compassion of a scorpion.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Don't confuse being strong with being a dictator - there is a whole range in between.
Anyway - if that's it, and it's from a year ago, I think we'll file it under the 'nothing to see here' category.

Provide a list and I'm sure some of us will have a go.
But doesn't Owen have a point in what his saying?

A year or not you don't just change from being a dictator.

I have a list for sure , thanks for engaging, I will have to search for all the others, I'm pretty it wasn't necessarily you that avoided them all.

The one question I did have above is, how many far right do you believe are in Britain ❓

I'm on the left & read the Guardian. I think Starmer's doing an excellent job & that Owen Jones is a ridiculous, dishonest little grifter, with the moral compass & compassion of a scorpion.
I thought anyone who wrote for the guardian was the nuts, according to some on here?

Another thing Ronnie got wrong then.

As you're a left person can you explain the word grifter please ❓ as I have seen it used several times on here, but never heard of it before. I assume it's a left word ❓

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Discuss 😂

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I have a list for sure , thanks for engaging, I will have to search for all the others, I'm pretty it wasn't necessarily you that avoided them all.

The one question I did have above is, how many far right do you believe are in Britain ❓
Probably fewer than voted Reform, so under four million. Quite a lot of Reform voters may well have voted for reasons other than deep-seated far right beliefs, whereas some who could align with far right tendencies probably didn't vote (turnout was low). Less than 10% of the population I would think. And it may actually be even smaller. If you just counted the violent rioters, it would actually be a pretty small percentage.
I thought anyone who wrote for the guardian was the nuts, according to some on here?

As you're a left person can you explain the word grifter please ❓ as I have seen it used several times on here, but never heard of it before. I assume it's a left word ❓
Con-merchant, swindler - basically comes from the old fairground 'gambling' booths where you paid, but never won.

It's been more recently applied to Farage because he appears to espouse views that he may or may not believe in (ie: we should be out of Europe, all immigration is bad, but I want to be able to travel to Europe and marry / live with a European partner - and other such contradictions) mainly, it seems to many, just to get money for his limited company called Reform. Or to hold some form of power for financial gain.

As an example https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/eddie-mair/nigel-farage-not-refund-dropped-candidates-mair/

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably fewer than voted Reform, so under four million. Quite a lot of Reform voters may well have voted for reasons other than deep-seated far right beliefs, whereas some who could align with far right tendencies probably didn't vote (turnout was low). Less than 10% of the population I would think. And it may actually be even smaller. If you just counted the violent rioters, it would actually be a pretty small percentage.

Con-merchant, swindler - basically comes from the old fairground 'gambling' booths where you paid, but never won.

It's been more recently applied to Farage because he appears to espouse views that he may or may not believe in (ie: we should be out of Europe, all immigration is bad, but I want to be able to travel to Europe and marry / live with a European partner - and other such contradictions) mainly, it seems to many, just to get money for his limited company called Reform. Or to hold some form of power for financial gain.

As an example https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/eddie-mair/nigel-farage-not-refund-dropped-candidates-mair/
I'm guessing, you are a fifth form teacher, practicing sensible answers to disingenuous questions from 14 year old Herberts who plan on disrupting the class all next year till they leave and team up with the old man in his white van?

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North

Thanks for your replies.
Honestly I think you're miles off on the far right figures. A perception that there are more than a tiny minority is given by people such as Starmer shouting a narrative which just isn't true.
I would guess at far right people being 10k at max, it's tiny and know one wants them, but we have so many more other extremist in this country too.

So grifter could be applied to Starmer then? It's just chucking about rhetoric for the sake of it, I believe again this rhetoric is being driven from the left and they are the main instigators of hate in our country, not the tiny percent of far right, I'd be happy if they all cleared off to their own destination for a full on dust up.

What has Britain become? It's just a battlefield, that will go on for ever now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

OJ’s gone too early. In the wings hoping it all goes wrong for a centre-left government, but nothing has.

Come 2029 he’ll be well and truly ignored as a cry-wolf, other than by his always bitter echo chamber.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Have you heard of Google?
Or a dictionary?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Starmer the Dictator, things are falling apart we're falling off a cliff, terrible start, blah-de-blah. Yet he seems to have brought to end another long running industrial dispute.

ASLEF have just announced (2 days after your comment- also 2 days after agreeing to recommend the pay deal to their members) 22 DAYS OF STRIKE ACTION starting September 🙄
Over an unrelated matter !!!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I happened to see this exchange looking on the forum, so excuse this interjection. :) I wanted to point out that I’ve near enough only ever seen grifter used in reference to various leftists, Owen Jones being one, starmer another, a lot of feminist polemicists. I’m sensing some people will object to starmer being called a leftist, so I’ll say perceived leftist, though i feel that speaks of the polarity of comtemporary culture more than anything else

likewise I have also heard people say it’s used for perceived far right figures (a term which seems to be appended to anyone they disagree and is rapidly becoming populist left wing tabloid rhetoric). How things change, and how nothing changes at all.

i think like everything now, the answer to that question is: what’s your algorithm?

the queers for Palestine/palestine for queers contradiction is one of many similar to the farage one afflicting the Flipside of this equation.

i also felt compelled to respond as someone who cannot abide the right or conservatives and has fought and beat them in tribunals three times in order to be able to physically survive but would have voted reform, and probably will do, without any far right beliefs. the only time’s I voted were yellow or green or once red though these were when I was younger and read and thought less deeply about things other than playing guitar and piano and the universe, just voted on what seemed at the time safe assumptions - these are the good guys, these are the bad. That has since proven to be the most inimical part of the whole charade. being severely disabled most of my vote was based as I mentioned on how do I survive, how do I help get rid of the tory kill all the disableds perma-policy. That i will probably vote reform despite this says a lot about the significance of other issues. Issues I can’t even talk about such is the gag our current regime has enforced.

i find the whole thing absurd. If I find someone who feels similarly to me on one issue they will have absolute contempt for me on others. I dont like trump/farage but they are the only people addressing issues more popular politicians find unpalatable. My opinion as I’ve got older has drifted through all its minor tonal changes to one inexorable remaining modal conclusion: that Reality doesnt exist to service our self image and demands decisions that are difficult and necessarily challenge any kind of false motive or identity that may be present in our thinking. Is it for the best? Not, does it sound the best or make me sound the best?
there are honest people. And there are dishonest people. And they will be drawn to different political poles depending on the cultural climate not any value inherent to those poles.

i keep out of culture and all the currents that repeat themselves endlessly, switching sides and parties unnoticed.

my feelings on climate, the pandemic and welfare make me a pariah/soyboy to one half of the clamouring horde, just as my experimece and knowledge of the reality of modern feminism/blm/quotas/particular religions make me ‘literally Hitler‘ to their counterpart on the other end of the horseshoe. I don’t like the term woke because it trivialises the damage being done to fairness, opportunity and people’s lives by that culture as though it’s just a bit annoying or something, or people who have gone ‘a bit too far but mean well’. The same people who spend a fair amount of their time excoriating Christian conservatives and the catholic church will in thensame breath scream abuse at anyone raising objections to Islam and Islamic culture for exactly the same reasons (except with greater justification).

are people really telling the truth? Or are they painting a picture of themselves that they find most flattering. Humans are very disappointing

if i want to fit into any group I have to keep quiet about half of my views. That says something too of the medium and what it’s exposed to though I can’t be bothered to think what.

I wrote something a long time ago on this and someone said of one of the extremist characters, ‘but her heart’s in the right place.’ I said no. No, her heart is in the wrong place. That’s the point of the entire thing. That people can’t feel this is a bad thing… but the majority of the time I sense that people can feel this, and ignore it because the gravity of whatever is their agenda/affiliation is so much stronger. And that’s the evil of our age, in my lowly, digital opinion.
:whistle:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
ASLEF have just announced (2 days after your comment- also 2 days after agreeing to recommend the pay deal to their members) 22 DAYS OF STRIKE ACTION starting September 🙄
Over an unrelated matter !!!
There are strikes with one company, LNER, over management bullying. Other train services duplicate those routes, such as Lumo, Grand Central and Hull trains, so there won't be a great inconvenience to the public.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I happened to see this exchange looking on the forum, so excuse this interjection. :) I wanted to point out that I’ve near enough only ever seen grifter used in reference to various leftists, Owen Jones being one, starmer another, a lot of feminist polemicists. I’m sensing some people will object to starmer being called a leftist, so I’ll say perceived leftist, though i feel that speaks of the polarity of comtemporary culture more than anything else

likewise I have also heard people say it’s used for perceived far right figures (a term which seems to be appended to anyone they disagree and is rapidly becoming populist left wing tabloid rhetoric). How things change, and how nothing changes at all.

i think like everything now, the answer to that question is: what’s your algorithm?

the queers for Palestine/palestine for queers contradiction is one of many similar to the farage one afflicting the Flipside of this equation.

i also felt compelled to respond as someone who cannot abide the right or conservatives and has fought and beat them in tribunals three times in order to be able to physically survive but would have voted reform, and probably will do, without any far right beliefs. the only time’s I voted were yellow or green or once red though these were when I was younger and read and thought less deeply about things other than playing guitar and piano and the universe, just voted on what seemed at the time safe assumptions - these are the good guys, these are the bad. That has since proven to be the most inimical part of the whole charade. being severely disabled most of my vote was based as I mentioned on how do I survive, how do I help get rid of the tory kill all the disableds perma-policy. That i will probably vote reform despite this says a lot about the significance of other issues. Issues I can’t even talk about such is the gag our current regime has enforced.

i find the whole thing absurd. If I find someone who feels similarly to me on one issue they will have absolute contempt for me on others. I dont like trump/farage but they are the only people addressing issues more popular politicians find unpalatable. My opinion as I’ve got older has drifted through all its minor tonal changes to one inexorable remaining modal conclusion: that Reality doesnt exist to service our self image and demands decisions that are difficult and necessarily challenge any kind of false motive or identity that may be present in our thinking. Is it for the best? Not, does it sound the best or make me sound the best?
there are honest people. And there are dishonest people. And they will be drawn to different political poles depending on the cultural climate not any value inherent to those poles.

i keep out of culture and all the currents that repeat themselves endlessly, switching sides and parties unnoticed.

my feelings on climate, the pandemic and welfare make me a pariah/soyboy to one half of the clamouring horde, just as my experimece and knowledge of the reality of modern feminism/blm/quotas/particular religions make me ‘literally Hitler‘ to their counterpart on the other end of the horseshoe. I don’t like the term woke because it trivialises the damage being done to fairness, opportunity and people’s lives by that culture as though it’s just a bit annoying or something, or people who have gone ‘a bit too far but mean well’. The same people who spend a fair amount of their time excoriating Christian conservatives and the catholic church will in thensame breath scream abuse at anyone raising objections to Islam and Islamic culture for exactly the same reasons (except with greater justification).

are people really telling the truth? Or are they painting a picture of themselves that they find most flattering. Humans are very disappointing

if i want to fit into any group I have to keep quiet about half of my views. That says something too of the medium and what it’s exposed to though I can’t be bothered to think what.

I wrote something a long time ago on this and someone said of one of the extremist characters, ‘but her heart’s in the right place.’ I said no. No, her heart is in the wrong place. That’s the point of the entire thing. That people can’t feel this is a bad thing… but the majority of the time I sense that people can feel this, and ignore it because the gravity of whatever is their agenda/affiliation is so much stronger. And that’s the evil of our age, in my lowly, digital opinion.
Well done.

You made it to two posts before we worked it out.

Looney.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

tl:dr

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
14% for Rail Workers spread over 3 years including payouts for Train Drivers who have left their jobs in the last 2 years , and with the average salary for Drivers hitting £70,000 pa hopefully that should mean that there will be less reliance on food banks for them for a while .

abc

Jan 6, 2007
There are strikes with one company, LNER, over management bullying. Other train services duplicate those routes, such as Lumo, Grand Central and Hull trains, so there won't be a great inconvenience to the public.

“over management bullying….”

Management: ‘Ok gentlemen, would you mind terribly and if we ask very nicely, considering doing your jobs and think about driving the odd train every now and then”

Drivers “😱

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
“over management bullying….”

Management: ‘Ok gentlemen, would you mind terribly and if we ask very nicely, considering doing your jobs and think about driving the odd train every now and then”

Drivers “😱
Yes, that's exactly it. Train drivers are such well-known wusses. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here