Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This is what happens when broadcast media is allowed to give undue prominence to Farage during the General Election. The far right now have Reform as their best mate.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
All the times before the election when I was questioning what the Labour policies would be, I was constantly shouted down that they shouldn’t be made public.

Of course if I’d known the policies would include increasing taxes, letting out the prisoners, giving the junior doctors 22% and taking away the old age pensioners free bus passes - I would’ve understood.

One month in and the country’s on fire- literally

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
All the times before the election when I was questioning what the Labour policies would be, I was constantly shouted down that they shouldn’t be made public.

Of course if I’d known the policies would include increasing taxes, letting out the prisoners, giving the junior doctors 22% and taking away the old age pensioners free bus passes - I would’ve understood.

I see... so you feel that these policies are not ones that you would approve for saving the country money in such dire financial times.

Please provide a short term/immediate alternative to help improve the financial situation that you would approve. I for one am interested in such constructive criticism but not in your tribal faux outrage....

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I see... so you feel that these policies are not ones that you would approve for saving the country money in such dire financial times.

Please provide a short term/immediate alternative to help improve the financial situation that you would approve. I for one am interested in such constructive criticism but not in your tribal faux outrage....
Perhaps one that doesn’t compromise people’s health or safety, would be a start

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

I've been on holiday, when was this announced?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The last thing this country needs is a bunch of angry, gammon faced racists being trained by professional soldiers.
I'm sure these hypothetical rules would apply to black yobboes as well. They do exist, even if they aren't taking much part in the current riots.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

That would be a better argument if the Tories didn't also put into practice higher taxes and letting out the prisoners. And it's the pensioners' heating allowance that's gone, not the bus passes. The only one you have the right of, is the junior doctors' pay, which I agree is not going to help either the economy or the health service - as soon as the junior doctors get what they will (one hopes) accept, then the GPs are out.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Just wait until you find out which Government had to start doing that because of their own incompetence...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That would be a better argument if the Tories didn't also put into practice higher taxes and letting out the prisoners. And it's the pensioners' heating allowance that's gone, not the bus passes. The only one you have the right of, is the junior doctors' pay, which I agree is not going to help either the economy or the health service - as soon as the junior doctors get what they will (one hopes) accept, then the GPs are out.
Agree.

The GPs are an interesting case. My understanding is they operate as small businesses outside of the NHS (thanks to Thatcher and chums, sadly not checked by Blair - Labour have always been frightened of GPs), and their services are bought via a contracting process. Perhaps that needs to be looked at.

We have two 'NHS healthcentres' in Faversham where all the local GPs work. They are very plush. The number of secretaries operaing at mine has increased over the years, and most patients are now seen by hoards of nurse practitioners, physiotherapy practitioners and the like. My old GO spends much of his time doing worthy outreach (including overseas).

There is sadly a great deal of GP churn as youngsters go through their training. One of them got my HDL and LDL mixed up ten years ago and told me I had a 40% chance of sudden death in the next ten years. Grossly unprofessional - he gave me the news over the phone.

It seems that once you are 'in' and part of a GP practice you a re made for life. Getting there is the tricky bit.

I would like to know how the salary structure works for GPs. I may look it up...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
GPs are, in effect, self employed, under the banner of the NHS. Practises are given a budget to employ staff whether that is a nurse practitioner, a GP or a receptionist.
Just before the election, they were told, their budget would be increased but only if they employed physician associates, rather than fully qualified GPs. Health on the cheap.
Thankfully, that proviso has gone.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Perhaps one that doesn’t compromise people’s health or safety, would be a start
I am a pensioner and many of my friends are similar age; all received the payment and all feel that it is important to accept that we can do without it in these times of dire need. No one felt her/his health or safety was being compromised. I accept that a means tested approach is essential to ensure that vulnerable older people are not excluded but in principle I believe this is the right move, as I say, in these extremely difficult times.

What have you got to countermand that comment? I am keen to hear from you.....

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I am a pensioner and many of my friends are similar age; all received the payment and all feel that it is important to accept that we can do without it in these times of dire need. No one felt her/his health or safety was being compromised. I accept that a means tested approach is essential to ensure that vulnerable older people are not excluded but in principle I believe this is the right move, as I say, in these extremely difficult times.

Not the person you’re replying to but someone who has shared that poster’s sentiments, the key is the means testing bit. I think it’s very simple, it needs to be means tested OR the cap needs to be raised from the frankly paltry £11k cut off to make up the difference.

For some it’s unneeded, for others it’s life and death and shouldn’t be handled as a blanket cut, when ironically blankets are likely to be needed more than ever.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Martin Lewis, founder of MoneySavingExpert.com, said: "The targeting of Winter Fuel Payments is too narrow with the winter we have coming. Pensioners were already due to get less as this will be the first time since winter 2022 they haven’t got the up to £300 extra winter fuel cost of living top-up.

"The Energy Price Cap is likely to rise 10% this October and stay high across the winter, leaving most energy bills nearly double those pre-crisis, at levels unaffordable for millions.

"Many pensioners eke out the £100 to £300 Winter Fuel Payments to allow them to keep some heating on through the cold months. While there's an argument for ending its universality due to tight national finances, it's being squeezed to too narrow a group – just those on benefits and Pension Credit. Yet again, those just above the thresholds will be hardest hit.

"This is often justified as there's a 'lack of household income data' to allow other targeting. However, there's a usable precedent from the emergency energy crisis measures announced in April 2022, which I'd urge the Government to look at.

"Then, a payment was made to homes in council tax bands A to D – as an imperfect but workable proxy for lower household incomes. That'd allow an additional group of lower to middle-income pensioners to keep the payments and mitigate bill shocks. Councils' discretionary funds could also be funded as in April 2022, for the limited numbers who still need help but don't qualify.

"Plus, with this announcement, the Government has a huge moral imperative to ensure the 800,000 people eligible for Pension Credit who don't get it, are informed, educated and helped through the process. It is planning an awareness-raising campaign, but it needs to ensure that reaches every corner – and if possible proactively and personally contact people.

"Pension Credit is a crucial gateway benefit, giving access to a host of other entitlements, and now with the link to the Winter Fuel Payment, it makes it even more important to ensure fewer miss out."

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Not the person you’re replying to but someone who has shared that poster’s sentiments, the key is the means testing bit. I think it’s very simple, it needs to be means tested OR the cap needs to be raised from the frankly paltry £11k cut off to make up the difference.

For some it’s unneeded, for others it’s life and death and shouldn’t be handled as a blanket cut, when ironically blankets are likely to be needed more than ever.
Totally agree! That's why I put in the 'short/medium term' phrase. It would be scandalous if anyone is so cold this winter that they are endangered due to lack of State support, but just as the funding needs to be calibrated, I think so too do our responses.....

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Martin Lewis, founder of MoneySavingExpert.com, said: "The targeting of Winter Fuel Payments is too narrow with the winter we have coming. Pensioners were already due to get less as this will be the first time since winter 2022 they haven’t got the up to £300 extra winter fuel cost of living top-up.

"The Energy Price Cap is likely to rise 10% this October and stay high across the winter, leaving most energy bills nearly double those pre-crisis, at levels unaffordable for millions.

"Many pensioners eke out the £100 to £300 Winter Fuel Payments to allow them to keep some heating on through the cold months. While there's an argument for ending its universality due to tight national finances, it's being squeezed to too narrow a group – just those on benefits and Pension Credit. Yet again, those just above the thresholds will be hardest hit.

"This is often justified as there's a 'lack of household income data' to allow other targeting. However, there's a usable precedent from the emergency energy crisis measures announced in April 2022, which I'd urge the Government to look at.

"Then, a payment was made to homes in council tax bands A to D – as an imperfect but workable proxy for lower household incomes. That'd allow an additional group of lower to middle-income pensioners to keep the payments and mitigate bill shocks. Councils' discretionary funds could also be funded as in April 2022, for the limited numbers who still need help but don't qualify.

"Plus, with this announcement, the Government has a huge moral imperative to ensure the 800,000 people eligible for Pension Credit who don't get it, are informed, educated and helped through the process. It is planning an awareness-raising campaign, but it needs to ensure that reaches every corner – and if possible proactively and personally contact people.

"Pension Credit is a crucial gateway benefit, giving access to a host of other entitlements, and now with the link to the Winter Fuel Payment, it makes it even more important to ensure fewer miss out."
Martin Lewis is as usual spot on; I am not sure this 'countermands' my point but as I say a form of calibration is needed to the principle as I always believed to be the case ..... Thank you for the quotation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here