Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's POTG under a different username.

Btw, folks, Rishi Sunak had issued enough North Sea licences to last for a couple of decades, so SKS saying he won't issue new ones isn't going to make us desperate for a while. The oil produced is sold on the open market in any case, so not the preserve of those living here.
What it does do is give us time to invest more in renewables.
Oh! Thank you. It would be futile of me to try to educate the terminally ignorant then.

And yes, we sell off the North Sea oil to other countries. It's not being produced for the direct benefit of UK energy consumers.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
I always appreciate people using the wrong "there/their/they're" when doing a comedy simpleton parody.
Simpleton I hear you say, only a simpleton would not understand the strengths or weaknesses of a person who has dyslexia.

Do you understand the word discrimination ?

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
So the only comparison we will have is in the action, we will have to see who is the worse government for making our streets unsafe, we will have a very good idea after labours term. I know where I will put my money if Starmer stays top dog.

Starmer insisted that Biden was moving at pace and detail, but Biden called Harris, Trump and Zelenskyy, Putin!

We have to question Keirs judgement or whether he is just blatantly lying.

Whatever it is it's certainly worrying having him in control of our country, wouldn't you say?

It's still his honeymoon, I have no doubt his mask will drop time and time again, but happy to be proved wrong.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So the only comparison we will have is in the action, we will have to see who is the worse government for making our streets unsafe, we will have a very good idea after labours term. I know where I will put my money if Starmer stays top dog.

Starmer insisted that Biden was moving at pace and detail, but Biden called Harris, Trump and Zelenskyy, Putin!

Whatever it is it's certainly worrying having him in control of our country, wouldn't you say?

It's still his honeymoon, I have no doubt his mask will drop time and time again, but happy to be proved wrong.

After 14 years of absolute cnutery and incompetence - no

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Simpleton I hear you say, only a simpleton would not understand the strengths or weaknesses of a person who has dyslexia.

I think that the vast majority of people don't fully understand the strengths and weaknesses of people with dyslexia.

Nothing to do with intelligence or being a 'simpleton' and more to do with the complexities of the condition and the variations in how it affects people.

Maybe you should try typing your responses as research shows this to be less of a challenge for people with dyslexia.

"Research has shown there is no difference between Dyslexic and non-Dyslexic children when work is typed, but a significant difference when it is hand-written."

There is also some good proof reading software available if necessary. My daughtrt has some, I can PM you the name of it if you like?

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
I think that the vast majority of people don't fully understand the strengths and weaknesses of people with dyslexia.

Nothing to do with intelligence or being a 'simpleton' and more to do with the complexities of the condition and the variations in how it affects people.
He is happy to use the simpleton phrase, and worse still the moderators will let him.

Dyslexic people face this discrimination all their lives, if I was a person of colour or different sexual preferences it would get pick up on by society, it can be a hidden talent or disability. The guy is naive.

Face to face people would think, he is direct, but at least I know where I stand with him, there is no bullsh*T.

Words and grammar I am probably amongst the bottom few percent, but in managing people and problem solving I am right towards the top end.

Do you know what is worse? teachers and schools still don't support kids, there are a tiny percent to go the extra mile to understand.

The decline of university are a blessing for the whole picture society and an increase of apprenticeships are a better leveler in my opinion.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill

There's a decent discussion to be had around the whole prisons/sentencing/licenced release/probation service/rehab etc. worthy of it's own thread. Can't pin anything on Labour (yet) on this but will be interesting to see if and when they manage to get a solution longer term if they set the process back to 50% again.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

that's nowhere near as good as your earlier material.

and when did you start to get touchy about discrimination?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

BANG ON FORM!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
He is happy to use the simpleton phrase, and worse still the moderators will let him.

Dyslexic people face this discrimination all their lives, if I was a person of colour or different sexual preferences it would get pick up on by society, it can be a hidden talent or disability. The guy is naive.

Face to face people would think, he is direct, but at least I know where I stand with him, there is no bullsh*T.

Words and grammar I am probably amongst the bottom few percent, but in managing people and problem solving I am right towards the top end.

Do you know what is worse? teachers and schools still don't support kids, there are a tiny percent to go the extra mile to understand.

The decline of university are a blessing for the whole picture society and an increase of apprenticeships are a better leveler in my opinion.

Heres hoping that your new Labour government improves funding for schools so they can improve outcomes for us neurodiverse folks.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

reality check, potty. you are a terrible judge of character

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

OK. I'll give it a go (but I'll try to stay on-topic reference the proposed early release).

For many years those serving prison time for non-violent offences (and sometimes violent offences) are told by judges that they will be eligible for release after they serve 50% of their sentence. You can read the judges sentencing remarks here for all cases going back years.

14 years of Tory incompetence has resulted in new prisons not being built. We now have more prisoners than we have space for those sentenced to imprisonment. So if we have the prisons filled up with those serving sentences for criminal damage, motoring offences, fraud etc we will eventually have nowhere to bang up the murderers, rapists, terrorists and nonces.

Labour has no choice other than to reduce the minimum prison time from 50% to 40% - because surely that is better than having to have the aforementioned murderers, rapists, terrorists and nonces on the streets?

Do I like the idea? Absolutely not. Can I see any other short-term "fix"? No I can't.

Do I have concerns. Yes, I do. The Probation Service has been crippled by lack of investment after 14 years of Tory incompetence so I worry about what support the additional early releasers will get with housing, jobs/training, mental health, and general, overall supervision.

What is a "violent offence"? Someone banged up for persistent drink-driving or for stalking / harrassment haven't committed a "violent crime" but that certainly doesn't mean that they may not be extremely dangerous if they continue their offending after being released early. It is inevitable that eventually a 40% early releaser will go to commit a very serious crime.

I've answered your questions so please do me the courtesy of answering just two of mine.

1) Why didn't the Tories see this coming?

2) If we had a Sunak government today, what would he be doing to redress the problem?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
1) Why didn't the Tories see this coming?

2) If we had a Sunak government today, what would he be doing to redress the problem?
I know that’s directed at Rightside brain but:
1) They did
2) The Lord Chancellor under Sunak was commissioned to do an inquiry of the Prison overcrowding crisis - much of which is what the Starmer Government is proposing. The outcome of that inquiry is here

By the way- re some of the hyperbolic scaremongering going on about early release, more
than 10,000 prisoners were released early by the previous Home Secretary

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Keir Starmer’s government will release thousands of prisoners after they have served 40% of their sentences and recruit 1,000 probation officers to solve an overcrowding crisis that threatens “a total breakdown of law and order”, the justice secretary has announced.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Keir Starmer’s government will release thousands of prisoners after they have served 40% of their sentences and recruit 1,000 probation officers to solve an overcrowding crisis that threatens “a total breakdown of law and order”, the justice secretary has announced.
Ah! But I see a potential flaw here.

I presume that the 40% release will have to start very soon and certainly before they have recruited and fully trained 1000 additional probation officers.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Sunak called the early election was exactly because he did see this coming.

Tough to run a campaign when you've just let out 1000s of prisoners

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Sunak called the early election was exactly because he did see this coming.

Tough to run a campaign when you've just let out 1000s of prisoners
But 1000s of prisoners have been let out by successive Tory governments for years. The only difference is that Starmer has no option other than to reduce the minimum time served from 50% to 40% because of the complete lack of Tory investment (accompanied by a huge dollop of austerity) in the prison service.

Now please let Right Brain Ronnie have a go at the questions please :lolol:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Such a shame that Rory Stewart left the Tory party - he had just started to actually do something about the prison situation when he walked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here