Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Corporate tax avoidance is where I would be looking at first. Legislation to force the big guns and others to pay tax in the country where revenue comes from ought on the face of things be possible but acknowledge there are a lot of discounts given for infrastructure investments.

My worry about blanket wealth taxes on individuals is we really don't want to drive away those who we want to continue to invest in the country for growth and run a lot of our biggest companies. To be honest if they've already paid tax once it's unfair to ask them to pay again but I know that will have me lambasted as a capitalist swine by some. Proving asset ownership and then how to extract that tax if those assets are not able to be realised is also another major issue.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
You can post all the ideas you want on here. It makes absolutely no difference if Starmer and Reeves repeatedly state that there will be no mitigation.
What GB was suggesting was something I also posted 10 days ago on the Labour meltdown thread - perhaps it is more timely to mention it now the discussion has moved on to alternatives?

[Politics] - Labour Party meltdown incoming.......
Hopefully as you say action is taken in the budget. I worry that local Government having to step up is piling pressure on local services already at breaking point after years of budget cuts. It also leaves us in the same position of the most vulnerable being among the least likely to claim.

Think we're in agreement that a Labour government should be seeking alternative ways to balance the books.

The money is being earmarked to local government as extra funding (to the tune of over £4 billion) as the bold highlights in my post above. The key though is that it is not means tested which is the root of the problem here.

The low threshold of wealth and sudden cut off of £1,000s worth of grants/concessions/benefits/discounts for those just above the cut off means that means tested benefits pushes millions of excluded people into hardship when the cost of living increases but creates a poverty trap for those on benefits who can’t afford to give up their welfare income a go to work.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There is Warm Home Discount scheme which provides eligible households with a £150 reduction on their electricity bills annually & is available for anyone on benefits. The problem with this is once again you have to be on pension credit to qualify, so actually anyone of pension credit gets up to £450 per year. It's more a case of how you define 'vulnerable'. It could be argued that people on pension credit need the WFP less than people just over the £218 cut off as they have council tax & rent paid (I know not all their council tax), over 75 get free TV licence & as I understand it their income is made up to £218, obviously they should still get it but the way the government have done is completely wrong, ignorant, heartless & just cruel.
….and paid directly to the account with the energy company, so unless the company is asked for a refund it is spent directly on paying their energy bill

Reactions: cjd

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wrong thread.
I’d hazard a guess that this thread wouldn’t exist if that bus had been right, as we all awoke from our silken sheets to a bath run from our gold taps and breakfast of milk and honey, safe in the knowledge that President For Life Farage had given us not only an economy but also a health service that was the envy of the entire planet.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here