Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Politics] The Labour Government

Zeberdi

ā€œVorsprung durch Technikā€
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Good article. On ties with businesses and donors who'd very much their foot in the door, and why this should end.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...l-without-new-probity-rules-worse-will-follow
Yes, he is an excellent writer and has maintained for years that the funding and lobbying of political parties compromises democratic accountability - and I agree wholeheartedly. Itā€™s a rot in the system and particulary frustrating when you have been campaigning for example on climate change policies but you have oil companies donating to political parties

There is definitely an argument to come down heavier on cash for access and influence as well as big donors who have vested interests in policy outcomes

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Disgracefully, the BBC suggested this morning that the fact Starmer was an Arsenal fan meant this was now a conflict of interest, rather than the equally compelling argument that he's regularly among ordinary football fans (or was till moved for security reasons). Neutral my arse.
I'm kind of surprised you don't see a potential conflict of interest in the person who was likely to be implementing the Football Governance Bill taking hospitality from clubs up and down the land. You even said it might've been something discussed when he was our guest.

We know for example Labour dropped the recommendation to levy a 10% tax on Premier League transfers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I assume that he was there by invitation as a guest of the club. A one-off. That is totally different to effectively being given a FREE corporate hospitality season ticket by the club he supports.

But then you already knew that.
I have no idea how it works at the Emirates. All I know is heā€™s a season ticket holder of some description and due to the security he needs Arsenal felt it best to allow him the use of a boxā€¦.which he has declared in the register of interests. Should he be penalized because of who he is and his safety?

I have absolutely no issue with this other than I find it absurd others do. How come you havnā€™t pissed your pants over, for example, the royals getting freebies at Wembley? Just to be clear this is another rhetorical question as I probably know the answer.

Itā€™s Fridat, Iā€™m off to my balcony for a beer. Have a nice evening.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This

I bet Tony invited him to the Amex with open arms regardless of political persuations. It's in everyones best interest to have competent governance . . .a few footy/gig tickets is nothing compared to what's been bribed and embezzled this last 15 years.

our press/media is disgraceful.

What % of the UK read the Telegraph and Mail? It must be tiny. I realise you havenā€™t said them, but paranoid others obsess with those two titles.

This was inevitable. When lefties got the Vaseline out with Beth Rigby and Sam Coates relentlessly on the case of the last government, I think I was the only person here who said theyā€™d do exactly the same to Labour when in power.

Thatā€™s the media in 2024. Murdochā€™s Sky brought it to our shores. Now in competition with social media, bitchy political commentary on steroids was here to stay.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I have no idea how it works at the Emirates. All I know is heā€™s a season ticket holder of some description and due to the security he needs Arsenal felt it best to allow him the use of a boxā€¦.which he has declared in the register of interests. Should he be penalized because of who he is and his safety?

I have absolutely no issue with this other than I find it absurd others do.

Yep. I completely accept people getting annoyed about the winter fuel move.

But this is just WEIRD

Don't use your anger tokens on this one.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
FT has a headline of "Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves declared clothing donations as office support." a well-dressed office party?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, Victoria Starmer looks rather cute in that white polka dot number she was gifted.

Surely we can all agree on something?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Itā€™s true though, isnā€™t it, that Winter Fuel Benefit didnā€™t have to be spent on fuel. Some people gave it away. Itā€™s perfectly possible that people with small, well insulated homes have used it for food or booze?

Whereas, if the government instead incentivised energy firms to cut their rates, that would be a direct cut to their heating bills.

I canā€™t imagine it would end up sending a company that turned over billions bankrupt.

I hope Iā€™ve answered your point as represented by your well argued and brilliantly structured emoji.

Zeberdi

ā€œVorsprung durch Technikā€
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Itā€™s true though, isnā€™t it, that Winter Fuel Benefit didnā€™t have to be spent on fuel. Some people gave it away. Itā€™s perfectly possible that people with small, well insulated homes have used it for food or booze?

Whereas, if the government instead incentivised energy firms to cut their rates, that would be a direct cut to their heating bills.

I canā€™t imagine it would end up sending a company that turned over billions bankrupt.

I hope Iā€™ve answered your point as represented by your well argued and brilliantly structured emoji.
tricky, incentivise lower energy prices when countries have been trying to reduce demand for energy. though yes, what Brown should have done was offer all registered pensioners a discount direct to energy company. could have limtited to those on some other benefit, permiting more for those that actually need it. just dont have the same political outcomes though.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

What the government do need to do is restructure how the energy markets work. Under the current model (if I understand it correctly), even if the country produced 99% renewable electricity and 1% from gas, the suppliers would be paid at the gas price for all of it, hence the reason why firms producing renewable energy are currently raking it in.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Not really but keep going as I find your attempts at defending this government amusing to say the least

Of and forgive me for the emoji ..it seemed apt and I was finding trying to stop the dog eating the grandkids dinner more challenging ..priorities sunshine

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not really but keep going as I find your attempts at defending this government amusing to say the least

Of and forgive me for the emoji ..it seemed apt and I was finding trying to stop the dog eating the grandkids dinner more challenging ..priorities sunshine
Another flawlessly well argued post, addressing every point with rapier like wit. šŸ‘

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here