Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The just got back from Watford Thread....

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Far from panicking, but that was shocking.

Struggling to think of a single positive.

Really poor tonight - just got back,

Didn't look like having an effort on goal let alone scoring!! - is that now 4 games without a goal??

Can't really put my finger on tonights performance but we don't appear to be moving the ball quick enough. Very dissapointing and at this rate it's hard to see where the next win is coming from

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
Worst I've seen us for some time. Desperately need a win and build a bit of confidence. That and a few of our injuries back will help. Not getting the rub of the green at the moment.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well not over reacting but that was waste of every penny spent. We were bloody awful. Not being funny but if painter from Leeds is the answer, then we have got the question very wrong indeed.

Yes ok we ave a few to come back, but that was the backbone of our side out there and if we play like that against a half decent team, we will get mullered. They should have been two up within 10 minutes and I can't remember their keeper saving one shot.

Pathetic and in future ill save my money

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Back from the game

Wow. What do you say about a performance as dire as the one we put out tonight?
Well, it became once again blatantly obvious that our midfield is simply not good enough. Harley showed no enthusiasm whatsoever and was muscled off the ball so easily. As for Sparrow, I'm really not sure what he contributes to the side at all.
We didn't even play football tonight. Every time the defence got the ball, it was hoofed upfield in the hope that Paynter or CMS would somehow reach it. They didn't.
The goal was sloppy, but it did look like there was a foul on one of our defenders in the box. The referee was never going to give it though, as he seemed to have a policy of not giving free-kicks when Watford's huge lumps of players were all over ours when going for the ball.
None of our corners even cleared the first man- the deliveries were simply awful once again.
CMS had no service again.
Noone was the only player that really looked interested tonight, and he played alright, but once again lacked that end product.
Oh, and Lua-Lua may have only played the last 10 minutes or so, but he just does not look like the same player he used to be.

On the positive side, we do still have Buckley, Hoskins, Vicente and Dunk to come back, and Vincelot had a pretty good game.
Gus is clearly very, very pissed off with this performance, and rightly so. Let's hope something changes for Sunday.

Last edited:

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Awful performance

Our play is too slow, we make defending against us quite simple.

Our inability to create anything from setpieces (or seem to have any routines, other than the front post flick back) has become more than worrying - it's actually alarming.

Harley - too weak defensively, not good enough creatively. often fails to see the runs and why is he not taking our set-pieces? isn't that partially a reason we bought him? and frankly a huge disappointment to date.
Sparrow - another central midfielder who is getting out-muscled in this division.
CMS - it worries me that his body language (in between another of his fruitless runs) is one of pure frustration that we refuse to play to his strengths.

Positives.
1. After hoofing it for 30 mins, we got the ball down and played some good football, controlled the game for quite a long period.
2. With four or five top quality players injured, we will surely do better in this sort of game with a fully fit squad.
3. Sparrow was instustrious and committed.
4. Er, that's it.

Negatives.
1. We still play too slowly with the ball. No penetration in the final third, and no shots to mention in the whole game.
2. A workmanlike 11, but we were devoid of attacking flair, and couldn't break down a very average side.
3. Why wait 10 minutes after conceding to bring KLL on?
4. Still missing Murray and Bennett especially away from home.
5. Paynter. Not a fan of his, his touch is poor and he doesn't win many headers for a target man.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Worst I've seen us for some time. Desperately need a win and build a bit of confidence. That and a few of our injuries back will help. Not getting the rub of the green at the moment.

U have to deserve the rub of the green!! 0 shots on target tonight suggests we didnt deserve anything from a pretty woeful performance.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Didn't go tonight due to a bereavement but this was my local game so would have been there. Well done all that went. Was it really worse than e.g. Hull (think carefully before answering) home performance as a qualifier for those of us who couldn't go?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Where oh where are our goals gonna come from.

Zero shots on target tonight.

Lots of disgruntled fans standing near me tonight.

Not sure I agree with the booing the lads at the end of the game tho.

DBL

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Just back & still livid.

Outplayed, out muscled & out classed.

What is becoming of more concern is that we are getting worse.

9 games without a win & should have been 2-0 down after 10 minutes.

Fail to win at home against Barnsley & the frustration may turn to more against Gus.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Where oh where are our goals gonna come from.

Zero shots on target tonight.

Lots of disgruntled fans standing near me tonight.

Not sure I agree with the booing the lads at the end of the game tho.

Not that I want to start a is it ok to boo conversation but you'd understand if people did. No wins in 9 and in many of those games we've gone from not winning to not scoring either to not scoring or even having a shot on target too. What next, we don't take to the field even? At that point I think I might boo. Having a shot on target isn't too much to ask and there's been hardly any for a number of games now. Not just tonight.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Awful, awful, awful performance.

Cannot believe that was Brighton I was watching. Resorted to hoof-ball most of the game.

Harper cannot kick the ball and seems to have taken all the confidence away from the defenders when playing across the back.

As for Harley....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Biggest tart I,ve seen in the stripes for a long , long time.

And what was the f***ing point of playing ONE recognised midfielder (Vincelot) and FIVE (Lua Lua, Noone, Barnes, Paynter and Mackail-Smith) forwards for the last ten minutes.

GUS......you need a proper midfield to win the f***ing ball first, so you can give it to the forwards....FFS...!

Last edited:

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Shit performance. Shit atmosphere. Never looked like scoring. Few odd decisions from poyet CMS looked knackered and needs a rest. BP looks crap, we have no midfield, we depend far too much on noone. Why have we started playing long balls.

Apart from that a briliant night. Only comparable to grating my bellend with a rusty cheese grater.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
That was the worst football I think I have ever watched and this includes watching the A-League... Both teams looked like they should be in league 2.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
Far from panicking, but that was shocking.

Struggling to think of a single positive.

Yeah, I don't want to panic because we are entirely capable of turning this round, but the winless run continuing against a poorer side in this league, and the performance itself were worrying. We looked really short of ideas and confidence at times, you could tell with the hesitancy of the passing and throw ins etc. As someone that doesn't manage to get to loads of games I hadn't seen us play that bad in a long time. Took my dad as well who's only a casual football fan and almost never goes to matches, hope it hasn't put him off much!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I don't think I have ever really disliked an Albion player before, but Harley really gets my goat. He just kind of minces around doing nothing, and when he loses the ball, which was very often today, he just jogs away as if he has better things to do than get the ball back. I swear he didn't actually break into a sprint once tonight.
The boy clearly has an attitude problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here