Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

In a nutshell. Part of the reason is the 1922 Committee. It's a group in the parliamentary party for which Labour has no equivalent, it's fiercely independent, hugely influential and its job is to essentially to keep Tory unity and ensure that the leader and his/her cabinet are doing their job effectively and because it's so much smaller than the Labour NEC it can act far more quickly.

Away from the leadership crisis, this happened:

"Labour failed to mount a fight last week against the £1,200 charge for employment tribunals, which has seen a 70% fall in claims. Richard Burgon, the new shadow lord chancellor, simply missed its huge significance, and with no whip the government won by an astounding 135"

That there is a huge attack on employment rights, especially for the poorest in the UK. So, whilst Ernest and the likes revel in this mess, big important stuff is going unchallenged.

More misleading crap, Burgon fought against it and this vote was an early stage procedural vote that parliamentary convention dictates is not whipped. Such feeble propaganda

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Read Point 3 of the above, especially the above. It's very clear.

prehaps read the rest of the schedule for context? even within point 3 its clear it doesn't mean duty as in "must" but duty as in "responsibility". taking your very literal interpretation, the committee would have to find another candidate to stand even if none came forward.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But if you change your views to get elected you are not implementing any of the policies you believe in!

interesting point, the leader has changed not necessarily the views of MPs since the last election. whats the difference between views and beliefs? to be effective in politics you have to make your case, but must be willing to concede something, often for something else in your favor. idealistic policies are no use if you cant implement them or even compromised versions.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
More misleading crap, Burgon fought against it and this vote was an early stage procedural vote that parliamentary convention dictates is not whipped. Such feeble propaganda

Haha! Right, gotcha. So no-one bothered to try to kill off, delay or just generally be awkward and make a big song and dance about a really pernicious piece of legislation because there's always time later on and there's more important stuff that Labour should be dealing with right now than trying to stop the cutting back of employment rights.

As for feeble propaganda, there's a reason why I put that in quotes. I didn't write it Polly Toynbee did. Talk about paranoid if you think Toynbee is some sort of mouthpiece for the right-wing.

Haha! Right, gotcha. So no-one bothered to try to kill off, delay or just generally be awkward and make a big song and dance about a really pernicious piece of legislation because there's always time later on and there's more important stuff that Labour should be dealing with right now than trying to stop the cutting back of employment rights.

As for feeble propaganda, there's a reason why I put that in quotes. I didn't write it Polly Toynbee did. Talk about paranoid if you think Toynbee is some sort of mouthpiece for the right-wing.

You literally don't have a ****ing clue how parliament works

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Isn't it about time this thread title was changed to something more factually accurate rather than the flawed opinion of the original poster.

I suggest Corbyn stays and has the momentum.

Isn't it about time this thread title was changed to something more factually accurate rather than the flawed opinion of the original poster.

I suggest Corbyn stays and has the momentum.

Yes he will win by 70%. If the stupid £25 tax on the poor is overturned it will be 80%.

The Tory press are busy trying the Plan B of presenting Theresa May as some kind of born again centre ground liberal because they are still worried about Corbyn (see today's poll with Tories and Labour neck and neck even with all those MP wasters trying to knife him in the back).

We start the battle to remind the British public who May really is with her racist vans and her abolition of human rights and her crappy role as Cam's yes girl

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Corbyn - time to go! That should have been the start and end of this thread but hey no! 96 feckin pages later wtf!!!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
UNIONS are trying to get round the new £25 charge to vote in the Labour leadership by offering Jeremy Corbyn-supporters a special £2 membership so they can flood the contest.

His supporters were left outraged when the party’s ruling body decided to increase the cost of having a say in the ballot, and bringing in a six-month cut-off period.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14357...emy-corbyn-supporters-a-special-2-membership/

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Yes he will win by 70%. If the stupid £25 tax on the poor is overturned it will be 80%.

The Tory press are busy trying the Plan B of presenting Theresa May as some kind of born again centre ground liberal because they are still worried about Corbyn (see today's poll with Tories and Labour neck and neck even with all those MP wasters trying to knife him in the back).

We start the battle to remind the British public who May really is with her racist vans and her abolition of human rights and her crappy role as Cam's yes girl

I doubt he will win by quite that much, if indeed he will win at all. I think many members can see he is not up to the job. I know several myself.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That's only partly true. He does want to nationalise the railways (line by line rather wholesale seizure) and he does want to take a public stake (as opposed to complete nationalisation) in the steel industry. But last September he dropped plans to nationalise the energy/oil industries and

I've certainly not heard of any plans to take financial services into public ownership - even the nationalisation-obsessed government of 1945 didn't go that far

I think he could be persuaded especially if it's a very left wing party and subsequent government. There are a lot of people out there who do not think capitalism has worked for them...and not just the normal labour voters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here