Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "I've seen us beat Spurs thread"

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who saw Tony Towner nutmeg Steve Peryman, and Perryman punch him in the face?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Lush said:
I've been to WHL with my dad - can't remember the score but I do remember it was the first time I ever saw someone headbutt someone else - there were a couple of Spurs nutters in our end.

:eek:
Wonder if it was the same one who punched me in the face?

And I was in the North Stand in 1978 before we won 3-1.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
sams dad said:
April 1978
3-1 to the Albion
Spurs "fans" tried to get game abandoned

I was there. That was a hell of a rough weekend, kicking off all over the place.

Also went to the 0-0 at WHL earlier that season - 48,000. That wasn't a pleasant day either!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
m20gull said:
Wonder if it was the same one who punched me in the face?

And I was in the North Stand in 1978 before we won 3-1.

Precisely the reason behind my irrational hatred of Spurs - their fans. My only experience was that friendly (supposedly Klinsmann's debut for them but he didn't play) in the mid/late 90s when a couple of their big knuckleheads stood outside the North Stand with a large THFC flag daring anyone to challenge their 'taking' of little Brighton's territory. A bigger bunch of patronising, arrogant, self-important twats you couldn't wish to meet. My dream since? For the massed Albion away following at WHL to launch into the chant of "Who the fvcking hell are you?" as a way of returning the compliment and bringing the wankers down to earth.

....and breathe.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've seen us beat Spurs three times, once at their place....

'78, 3-1 at home
'81, 1-0 at WHL
'83, 2-1 at home

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Cheeky Monkey said:
Precisely the reason behind my irrational hatred of Spurs - their fans. My only experience was that friendly (supposedly Klinsmann's debut for them but he didn't play) in the mid/late 90s when a couple of their big knuckleheads stood outside the North Stand with a large THFC flag daring anyone to challenge their 'taking' of little Brighton's territory. A bigger bunch of patronising, arrogant, self-important twats you couldn't wish to meet. My dream since? For the massed Albion away following at WHL to launch into the chant of "Who the fvcking hell are you?" as a way of returning the compliment and bringing the wankers down to earth.

....and breathe.

Yes, because they do sound utterly unique to any football clubs and yet obviously representative of everything Spurs...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
SussexSpur said:
Yes, because they do sound utterly unique to any football clubs and yet obviously representative of everything Spurs...

He did say irrational....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
1982-3 at home, they took the lead through (I think) Graham Roberts, and we got two late goals to win. Then it turned a bit nasty in the North Stand.

diggs

Jul 28, 2004
Austin, TX
I remember the '82-'83 game - spurs fans singing 'your going down again ...' at 1-0 up.
and the abuse that lot got as we hadnt actually never been down from that league - well, at that time anyway....

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
1977/78 season, the year we were 'stitched up' by Spurs and Southampton passing the ball to each other for a 0-0 draw on the last day of the season. We won 3-1 at the Goldstone and drew 0-0 at WHL. Both games were marred by violence on the terraces, for the Goldstone game the Spurs fans invaded the North Stand ('took it' as I think the hooligans say) and the ref had to take the players off for a while. Because I'm incredibly, stupidly stubborn I refused to leave my usual place in the North Stand even though I was surrounded by Spurs. I didn't celebrate the goals though!

The WHL game was just as nasty and is one of the mercifully few times when I've ever had to punch somebody.

Just editing as I think I got the season wrong! I originally said 78/79

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Somehow I missed the infamous 3-1 game but there was always loads of trouble when we played them. I remember one year four or five Albion and Spurs skinheads had a fight at the bottom of the east stand, close to where the Spurs fans were based. They battered the hell out of each other for what seemed like ages. I was in the north stand at the time and I think the whole stand just stood enthralled as the fighting carried on. It was surpising that it kicked off there and not in the North. I can't remember anything about the game or even what year it was. 0-0 I think but so many games are a bit of a blur now.

Last edited:

nomad_seagull

Jul 27, 2004
The 83 game I think saw us win with 2 late goals after playing c**p all game.

I was in the old chicken run and walked past the Spurs fans in the North East terrace. They were in a complete frenzy of anger at the result ... ahhh memories.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I was at WHL in 1981 when Robbo scored in front of us. One of the great all time Albion goal celebrations. PG:bounce:
Spurs had a really good team (they were FAC holders) including Hoddle, Crooks, Archibald at their best.

Mate and I hitched back to Warwick Uni. to see the free band on in the Students Union that night - A Flock of Seagulls!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I remember the 82/83 game, the Albion win was daylight robbery.

I also remember a Spurs v Albion pre-season match around the same time that Spurs won 4-0.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I remember the 2-1 win at the goldstone, was on of my first ever matches. We were losing 1-0 until the last 5minutes. There was an almighty ruck between the players, both sides had 1 sent off (very rare in those days) and Albion scored twice in quick succession! Almostmy first real footballing memories! Marvellous stuff. And was sitting in the south stand next to the segregated spurs fans who were jeering all match at us. They went very quiet by the end!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Buzza said:
I was there. That was a hell of a rough weekend, kicking off all over the place.

Also went to the 0-0 at WHL earlier that season - 48,000. That wasn't a pleasant day either!

I was at both of them games

Tottenham scum all over Brighton...huge trouble...fighting in and out of the ground........seem to remember the friday night being a bit naughty in Brighton too. 3-1 fabulous result..the Yiddo's had one player sent off too i recall

Tottenham away...train arrived late, brighton fans put below the shelf..huge punch up. We were at other end having banter with neanderthals who all looked like chaz and dave.

Ah memories

Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling
I remember a great 2-2 draw at WHL when Gordon Smith scored both equalisers. Was that 81/82 or 82/83?

Me and my mate got there late and ended up in the Spurs part of the ground surrounded by a load of 7 foot apes. Remember leaping up when we scored then remembered I was trying to pretend to be a Spurs fan so quickly turned the joyful leap into putting my head into my hands in "disappointment", while moaning at the lino that it was offside. Happy days!

Weren't any of you there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here