Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "if Poyet leaves, the next Albion manager should be..." thread

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I don't believe Gus will go and I don't want him to.

However, IF he does, I think the clever appointment would be OGS. Not a lot of experience but very highly regarded as a coach at Old Trafford and won the Norwegian Championship in his first two seasons at Molde.

A lower level I know but, if managing at OT is the ultimate aim, then we might be just the right vehicle to enhance his reputation.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
IF Gus goes then maybe one of these, they are not in any order of preference.

Karl Robinson

Certainly not McCleish, Adkins, Warnock or RDM

Why on EARTH would you rather have Karl Robinson than RDM or Adkins?

RDM has taken clubs out of this league, and won the CL with Chelsea (albeit only a couple of games, but he held the team together).

Adkins took Southampton up twice from league one to the Premier league, and did wonders with Scunthorpe.

Karl Robinson has done NOTHING at MK Dons. He talks himself up far above his actual achievements, which is failing 3 seasons running to get one of the most financially sound clubs in that division out of it. Every week he repeats how his side are the best in the division, despite being mid table. But you'd rather have him than two proven managers?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I would be happy with £2.5 million and Di Matteo in as his successor. Adkins would be a decent second choice, but it would be quite horrible seeing his goofy face in charge of our team..

Adkins was first manager to figure us out back in L1. They played us off field at Amex until Lamberts dismissal and arguably made some shrewd signings on entering Prem, such as Rodriguez.

Don't like the guy but he's proven himself to be a decent manager.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Given the brand of football we have invested in with Gus, I can't see anyone other than one of his old gang being a next manager when he eventually goes (I still don't think it will be Reading).

So on the basis:
Gianfranco Zola - might be up for it after an interim appointment if Watford don't go up.
Robert Di Matteo - Destined for a top flight club but you never know.
Gianluca Vialli - I heard him interviewed the other day virtually begging to get back into management. Could be ideal.
Dennis Wise - Gus rates him, Tony like him. Fans don't.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Its not like getting one player where you are happy to get a year or two out of them. A manager should be setting the club philosophy and you don't want to go changing that every year.

So, I don't really care who we get as a manager as long as
- they stay for 3+ years
- they want to pass the ball (otherwise our squad would need a massive overhaul)
- they aren't too 'big' for the club and constantly on the lookout for bigger opportunities

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Why on EARTH would you rather have Karl Robinson than RDM or Adkins?

RDM has taken clubs out of this league, and won the CL with Chelsea (albeit only a couple of games, but he held the team together).

Adkins took Southampton up twice from league one to the Premier league, and did wonders with Scunthorpe.

Karl Robinson has done NOTHING at MK Dons. He talks himself up far above his actual achievements, which is failing 3 seasons running to get one of the most financially sound clubs in that division out of it. Every week he repeats how his side are the best in the division, despite being mid table. But you'd rather have him than two proven managers?

OK - you've convinced me. Take Karl Robinson off that list. I am still NOT convinced about Adkins or RDM though

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Adkins was first manager to figure us out back in L1. They played us off field at Amex until Lamberts dismissal and arguably made some shrewd signings on entering Prem, such as Rodriguez.

Don't like the guy but he's proven himself to be a decent manager.

I agree with most of that, but Jay Rodriguez, SHREWD? The guy's scored 4 goals in the Premier League and cost them £7m from Burnley, that's not a great example. I reckon you may mean Ramirez?

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
not my choice by any means but i think Richie Barker's a possible. my choice Give Gus a pay rise and a war chest!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Posted earlier about wanting Solskjaer (if he'd come) and after a day of pondering he'd still be my first choice...now, that all said, if we were to appoint any of Adkins (shut up, look at his record), Bergkamp, Rosler, Coppell or (in all seriousness) Hope Powell then I'd be happy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Rangnick
Zola
Rossler
Di Matteo
Adkins

would be my initial shortlist

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Jose Mourinho - where's he going to go after Real Madrid!?!
Not Chelsea. Not Manure. Not Man City cos he wants to manage Manure. Not Arsenal for the same reason. Not Barca.
Why not Brighton!?!?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Posted earlier about wanting Solskjaer (if he'd come) and after a day of pondering he'd still be my first choice...now, that all said, if we were to appoint any of Adkins (shut up, look at his record), Bergkamp, Rosler, Coppell or (in all seriousness) Hope Powell then I'd be happy.

Solskjaer ,Adkins ,howe,rdm

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It this the time for the GLORIOUS return of Pints of Whisky, Mark Edward McGhee ?

The MESSIAH's second coming ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here