Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The I have seen England win a World Cup in England thread

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was delivering the Argus that afternoon and the one major memory was how deserted the streets were. I got back in time for the extra time and to hear the immortal words... Kenneth Wolstenholme:

"There are some people on the pitch. They think it's all over. It is now...."

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bumped into Jimmy Greaves and a hoard of press/admirers outside the ground. Didnt occur to us at the time that he shouldnt have been there but in the dressing room. He'd been dropped in favour of Geoff Hurst!

Greaves has been injured in the game against France and Hurst took his place as he wasn't fit. I think he was also out for the semi-final but was definitely fit for the final but Ramsey preferred Hurst by now.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Watched it on TV with my Dad, extra time made me late for my Argus paper round in Shoreham. It was worth the bollocking I got from the miserable old git who ran the newsagents.
:lol:

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
I remember getting in a Watney's Red Barrel Party Eight for the final. Fortunately my taste in beer has improved since then.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Greaves has been injured in the game against France and Hurst took his place as he wasn't fit. I think he was also out for the semi-final but was definitely fit for the final but Ramsey preferred Hurst by now.

The press slated Ramsay for not putting Greaves back in the side when he was fit again but Ramsay had the last laugh (although you rarely saw him smiling)
I watched most of the games on the tv as our family liked football. I was entrenched on the settee throughout the final and I swear I didn't breathe during extra time until the Russian linesman gave that 3rd goal. That evening was party time everywhere.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Didn't really watch it but it inspired my interest in football.

I remember earlier games and shopping with my mum. not everybody had TV's back then so TV shops had huge crowds outside watching the screens.

When the final was on, I was out in the garden kicking a ball around and been mad on footie ever since. If we get the chance to host it in 2026 I'll be 71.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I remember wearing my World Cup Willie badge to school, (I was 5). Can barely remember lots of excited adults when we won. 4 years later though, I remember every kick of that WC. Best team EVER won that one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When the final was on, I was out in the garden kicking a ball around and been mad on footie ever since. If we get the chance to host it in 2026 I'll be 71.

When Weber equalised in the last minute I was so upset that I thought I'd burst into tears. I then went outside and kicked a ball around the garden for 10 minutes to relieve the tension - got back to the game a couple of minutes before Hurst's third goal.

I think China's nailed on for 2026 and it will be N or S America for 2030. Our next chance is 2034 when I'll be 77.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I remember how lucky we were against Portugal and Eusebio was the 1st foreign superstar footballer I was aware of.

Maybe we weren't lucky but at the time I expected us to lose whilst watching

Yes Eusebio was a class act. I think he got clogged a bit, as did Pele for sure in the Brail games. Nobby probably showed him the England styles..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here