Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The I have seen England win a World Cup in England thread

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
:bigwave:

Although I was a kid in Germany, I saw it on TV. Not the best place to watch.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I was lucky enough to attend one of the games, which was England v Argentina.
They had their captain Rattin sent off and Sir Alf threatened to take his side off the pitch.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I watched it although I don't remember much.
Just before my 5th b/day.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Saw it on TV at the tender age of 10 and remember the dirty Argies and the brilliant final win with all the tension. Didn't appreciate at the time the significance of the fact it was being held in England and probably wouldn't be again in my lifetime!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I was 13 and family were sat around the TV, all bar my late Mum who was on tea and biscuit duty. Will always remember her "disinterest" in the game being just at tad betrayed by the amount of times her head peered around the living room door during the game. When all over we rushed up to Perrymount Park where clair hall is now, and met up with all our mates to relive the final, though very hard to re-enact the Hurst goal that hit bar

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I remember how lucky we were against Portugal and Eusebio was the 1st foreign superstar footballer I was aware of.

Maybe we weren't lucky but at the time I expected us to lose whilst watching

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It was a great time and I hope younger people have the chance to experience something like it in the future..............then they too, can bore to death their grandchildren with the stories...LOL..!

To be fair though, there were only 16 teams in the '66 World Cup....every game for England was at Wembley.........and the players/staff were not under the spotlight, anything like they are today.

The 'press' were wankers, exactly the same as they are today....( England were slated after only drawing the first game 0-0).

We watched it all in black and white.. (no colour TV).

The war was still relatively fresh in my parents minds.....so it was OK to say nasty things about the 'bloody nazis'.

Looking at the Wembley crowd........amazing to see how many were dressed in jacket, collar and tie......virtually no football shirts in those days.

The introduction of the 'wingless wonders' from England, that set a pattern, that changed the way football was played. No longer just pure skill....but run, run, run, until you drop.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was lucky enough to attend one of the games, which was England v Argentina.
They had their captain Rattin sent off and Sir Alf threatened to take his side off the pitch.

Impressive, someone on NSC who actually attended a game :bowdown: Ramsey's comments caused a serious diplomatic incident I believe. I don't think calling the opposition "animals" was seen as acceptable in those days :lolol:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Impressive, someone on NSC who actually attended a game :bowdown: Ramsey's comments caused a serious diplomatic incident I believe. I don't think calling the opposition "animals" was seen as acceptable in those days :lolol:

He was correct, they tried to kick lumps off us that day and that was when men were allowed to tackle unlike today's don't touch me type of football.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yup, remember it well. Saw most of televised England games, (not sure if they were all televised but I'm guessing they were) and I remember being allowed home early at least once from school by an incredibly far-sighted teacher who said it was a 'once in a lifetime' event. I missed the Argentina game as I went to Withdean Stadium that afternoon. (Cub Scout Jamboree re-enacting the relief of the siege of Mafeking! OTLW was also there.)

Kinda hoping now we DON'T ever get it again in my lifetime as I don't want any footballing failure sullying my memory.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
He was correct, they tried to kick lumps off us that day and that was when men were allowed to tackle unlike today's don't touch me type of football.

remeber every crunching tackle!!! Howard Webb would have had the lot off

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Nobby Stiles would never play again and even our Des Tennant at the Albion would be permanently be suspended today.

mind you i am not sure if there were any more broken legs then than today? Recall Dave Mackay up against Bremner at White Hart Lane. Think Mackay had already broken his leg twice. I was at the game and it was the one that heralded quite a famous press photo of Mackay clenching Bremners collar, if i recall it well

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I have seen England win the World Cup.

I was eighteen,and life was great.I don't think Qatar was Qatar then,and I don't think the Soviet Union would have got a World Cup,either.(Nor S Africa,the USA or Australia.)

Someone I knew then went into the police and had just come out of training and his first bobbying job was walking the Wembley perimeter during the Final.What a gig ! Better than dragging women along by their hair,or beating up young protesters.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I have it good authority from my old man that i was sat on the sofa when it was on at just about exactly 2 years old, not surprisingly I can't remember I thing though.....

I was working in a hotel in Epping and we were full with Brazilian supporters.

When they were knocked out they gave us their tickets when they went home. I must have had 5 tickets for the final in my pocket but I couldn't go as I was working from 6pm. And if I went to Wembley and England won I knew I wouldn't go back to work!

When I finished at 11:00, the coach driver for the Brazilian supporters (he was English and had been hired for the entire tournament) took me and one other friend - the manager of the local off licence, fortunately! - into central London. We left Epping empty, by the time we got to Trafalgar Square the coach was packed. A copper told us we could not park up outside the National Gallery, we told him to shut up and have some champagne; he did and we did.

What a great night! How we got back to Epping I'll never know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here