Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The " I am so confident Poyet would not leave us for Reading that i will never post on NSC

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm surprised by this confidence you reckon he will stay. We may be heading in different directions at the moment, but in the long-term, I'm struggling to see how Brighton would be a better proposition. Money talks nowadays I'm afraid.

Forget "long-term" as football management is anything but. Over the next 3 seasons, Readings potential is really no better than ours, and certainly not sufficient to keep Gus for very long. If he did make the move, then some minimal success and bigger clubs like Villa, Everton, Spurs and maybe even Chelsea may not be too far away. Once they come in for him he's off as their potential is so much bigger than Readings or Brightons.

I'm confident that he will stay, rather than go to Reading because Reading wouldn't only be a stepping stone, but with 2013/14 looking like The Championship for Reading, it will be a sideays stepping stone, and I just don't see the point of that.

Viva Calderon

Apr 29, 2010
Gus Will Stay

All that taken on Board, we are Not talking about Next season We are talking NOW! Reading want someone in before their next game! So Next seasons If's, But's & May be's do Not come into the equasion. Cards on the Table Now. Poyet would be a Fool to take the Reading Job, when he has every chance with Brighton of reaching the play off's and by the way we ripped Palarse apart last Sunday!! maybe even an Automatic position.

Reading have a Much Much harder task of staying in the Premier Ship than Brighton do of getting promoted to it, Then we are Not talking of parachute payments for religation but much Much more millions for getting promoted. Plus there is one more twist to The Story? Who is to say that if Reading are religated that they will actually get promoted again the Following season ?? .. Gus Will Stay.. Give the Job to Adkins - I will Join The " I am so confident Poyet would not leave us for Reading that I will never post on NSC ever again and close my account! .. Viva Gus! Viva Tano! Viva Charlie! Viva Vicente Rodriguez Miguel! Viva Bruno Saltor! Viva Iñigo Calderón! Viva Andrea Orlandi Stabilin! Viva David López Moreno! Viva Leonardo Ulloa ! and all of the BHA Team .... :albion2: :bhasign: :rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::thumbsup: Viva Calderon....

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Gus would not up root and move to Wigan in a million years.

He was assistant manager at Leeds. Not sure a northern move would put him off a club. He wouldn't turn down Newcastle because it's north...

But again, lets not get tied up in this Wigan thing. I was purely making the point that even WIGAN would conern me more than Reading.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If Gus Does go, he goes, however i hope we build something into the deal that he cant come poaching our players for a season.

If he did go that would be a loss, but I could see him taking 3 or four players with him. losing the likes of Spanish Dave, Bridcutt and Ulloa would be a real gutter.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
He was assistant manager at Leeds. Not sure a northern move would put him off a club. He wouldn't turn down Newcastle because it's north...

But again, lets not get tied up in this Wigan thing. I was purely making the point that even WIGAN would conern me more than Reading.

Fair point, i just think that Dave Whealen would offer the resources that Poyet would demand, Its all hypothetical nonsense anyway as i dont think Poyet will be going anywhere.... i hope.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm surprised by this confidence you reckon he will stay. We may be heading in different directions at the moment, but in the long-term, I'm struggling to see how Brighton would be a better proposition. Money talks nowadays I'm afraid.

None, anyone can have the money, doesn't mean you attract the players into a relegation battle for ridiculous wages.

So, which is it? Does money talk, or not?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Got to admit the more this drags on I'm now thinking that he might be off.

I wonder whether him and Bloom have had a falling out.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The below was posted an hour ago on the Independent website.

Premier League strugglers Reading are close to appointing Brighton's Gus Poyet as their manager. There is a willingness on both sides to get the deal done and only the finer details of the Uruguayan's contract need to be finalised ahead of an announcement before the end of the week.

Poyet has now met the Reading owner Anton Zingarevich and the Russian has approved the appointment, which has been driven by the director of football Nicky Hammond. There is a compensation payment of just less than £2m payable to Brighton on the termination of Poyet's contract. The move will be a blow to the club who are outside the Championship play-off places only on goal difference.

There has been a longstanding agreement between Poyet and the Brighton chairman, Tony Bloom, that Poyet would be permitted to speak to a Premier League club if interest was shown in him.

While there has been surprise in some quarters that Poyet would leave Brighton, where he won promotion from League One as champions in 2011, the spending limitations placed upon him in recent months, as the team have tried to push for the top six in the Championship, have been a frustration. He signed Leonardo Ulloa in January but has encountered restrictions bringing in a new striker before the 28 March emergency deadline.

While Brighton have thrived in the Championship, finishing 10th last season, they have punched above their weight when it has come to the wage bill. The current squad has been developed by Poyet with a Spanish contingent, including the former Spain international Vicente. He has also had a major influence in attracting players such as loan signing Wayne Bridge and the midfielder Liam Bridcutt, who is in the current Scotland squad.

While Reading look doomed to relegation from the Premier League this season, the club are prepared to back their new manager with the funds to make an immediate return next season. Under the new television deal, the parachute payments that go to clubs relegated from the Premier League have been increased to £23m for the first year, a huge advantage to sides dropping down.

The expectation is that Poyet will come to an agreement with Reading in the coming days and take over the team in time for the next game against Arsenal away, a week on Saturday.

His first foray into coaching was under Dennis Wise at Swindon, before moving to Leeds with his former Chelsea team-mate. He then worked under Juande Ramos at Tottenham.

Reading are currently seven points from safety with eight games of the season left and still have to play, among others, Liverpool, bottom-placed Queen's Park Rangers and the champions Manchester City, though those fixtures are at home.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
shame there wasn't an opposite thread, we could have culled a few idiots.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The " I am so confident Poyet would not leave us for Reading that i will neve...

Seems our confidence was justified

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
No, but I watch them every week and see why teams would not take a risk on them. Pogrebnyak would be the only players that leaves and will free up £65,000 a week in wages, which would be nicely spent on Bridcutt :p

Bridcutt has openly said he would never play for Reading. Just coz he was born their, doesn't make him a fan. And why would Gus have chosen Reading over us? (Press leak last night says he is staying) The clubs are no different tbf, your club has levelled out, ours is growing and will eventually supass Reading. We have a bigger catchment area, bigger ground capacity now, and a new state of the art training ground/academy any premier league or top European team would die to have.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The " I am so confident Poyet would not leave us for Reading that i will never

I'm going to ban you all until Reading announce their new manager.

You can't be too safe in these situations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here