Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Honesty Conundrum

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I like to see myself as an honest person.

I took a trip to Sainsbury's to purchase the following items, well, just the steaks, but I got a bit carried away.

Lynx Shower Gel - £1.85
Gold Blend Coffee - £3.00
3 (Three) Strawberry Trifles - £1.49
Cookies - £0.65
Roasted Peanuts - £0.55
Wholemeal Bread (Loaf of..) - £0.85
Ciabatta Rolls - £1.49
Thin Cut Sirloin Steak - £3.59

The quicker mathmeticians will have gathered that the subtotal is indeed £13.47.

The slower Mathmeticians by now should have totted up the subtotal of £13.47.

The number dyslexic amongst you, should look away now.

There was a jam in the receipt dispenser and by the time this was rectified, the change amount had disappeared from the screen. So, the checkout operative had to rely on the receipt. Not hard, you might say. Instead of receiving the princely sum of £6.53 from my crisp £20 note, I was issued with the change consisting of one £10 note, three £1 coins, two 20p pieces, a 5p coin and a two pence piece (i.e. the orignal subtotal).

I only realised this fact when I returned home.

Ordinarily, I would return immediatly and rectify the error, but I am not quite so sure this time. The checkout assistant was a trainee and POTENTIALLY this error could be fatal to his Supermarket career. I have no means of telling whether he is on a last chance to impress. Do I want that blood on my hands? A honest employee trying to secure employment vs a ginat corporation who announced decent profits and will not go under for the sake of £6.94.

The question is....

Would you return to put right this callous error?

Over to you, NSC.

Ps Apologies for the boring thread. I am putting off some work and happily supping some Red Wine that was purchased earlier in the day. I should have waited to purchase at Sainsbury's...obviously.

f*** IT. That was meant to be a poll of a simple Yes/No. :dunce:

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
What line of work are you? What would you like one of your customers to do?

I say return it, its honest, will give you a good feeling and karma and all that.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What line of work are you? What would you like one of your customers to do?

I say return it, its honest, will give you a good feeling and karma and all that.

Currently in the building sector with dreams of becoming a writer.

I have always returned it, when it has happened in the past, but what if his career depends on this one error?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I call that a RESULT....but then I am an inherently dishonest person

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
If it had been a small corner shop giving you too much change, I would have said, be honest and take it back.

But as it's a corporate chain supermarket, which drives out smaller or independent retailers, I'd say, sod them: keep the dosh. They can afford the loss.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Result indeed.

Left face facts here, Sainburys make huge profits. Writing off such a little amount would probably be considered insignificant.

We have Sainburys deliver our weekly shopping and a couple of months ago they deliverd 12 bags of pear's ( approx £22 ) My wife only ordered one packet. I called the branch to let them know of the mistake and could they pick up the 10 unwanted bags.

They were very good, apologised and said they would refund the money ( for all 12 bags not just 10 ) and was told to give the bags to neighbours and that it was too much hassle for them to pick them up and easier to refund the full cost of 12 bags and not 10.

JP20

You shouldn't worry too much about the lad. Mistakes like this happen an awful lot and if they sacked everyone who did it then there wouldn't be any till staff left.

It won't impact on his career at all - the lad will get a 'refresher' training session to do thats all. (speaking as someone who works there)

So its really up to you - I'd keep it, but then thats just me!

scooter1

How soon is now?
I'd never have guessed you had dreams of being a writer.....After all any good writer would have spun that seemingly short episode into a much longer tale

Keep the money, f*** em. He's a trainee he's allowed to make the odd mistake, serves them right if they left him alone with a duff machine

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I am frankly appalled

what made you go to the supermarket TWICE in one day?
Couldn't you have got the wine and the steak at the same time?

Oh, and keep the dosh

:ban:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Stop_Thief_BWTHIEF1.jpg

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am frankly appalled

what made you go to the supermarket TWICE in one day?
Couldn't you have got the wine and the steak at the same time?

Oh, and keep the dosh

:ban:

The wine was from an alternative outlet, before I realised I needed something to go with it. :blush:

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Management will pick up the till discrepancy and keep him under observation. If there are no further problems on his till they will realise it was a blip and his job continues untroubled.
So now its down to you...if it worries and troubles you...return the money.
I always adopt the policy that these things need instant action, if spotted. If I only realise later what has happened, I tend to do nothing and put it down to luck.Don't forget there will be occasions when you are on the end of overcharging. ( The majority of people don't check their supermarket till receipts )
If none of this suits you....give the money to a charity of your choice.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Problem is, if you return it, it will only serve to highlight the error to management, whereas it might have slipped by if say 2 people were in charge of the till over any period of time, which possibly they might have seeing as he's only a trainee.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I like to see myself as an honest person.

I took a trip to Sainsbury's to purchase the following items, well, just the steaks, but I got a bit carried away.

Lynx Shower Gel - £1.85
Gold Blend Coffee - £3.00
3 (Three) Strawberry Trifles - £1.49
Cookies - £0.65
Roasted Peanuts - £0.55
Wholemeal Bread (Loaf of..) - £0.85
Ciabatta Rolls - £1.49
Thin Cut Sirloin Steak - £3.59

The quicker mathmeticians will have gathered that the subtotal is indeed £13.47.

The slower Mathmeticians by now should have totted up the subtotal of £13.47.

The number dyslexic amongst you, should look away now.

There was a jam in the receipt dispenser and by the time this was rectified, the change amount had disappeared from the screen. So, the checkout operative had to rely on the receipt. Not hard, you might say. Instead of receiving the princely sum of £6.53 from my crisp £20 note, I was issued with the change consisting of one £10 note, three £1 coins, two 20p pieces, a 5p coin and a two pence piece (i.e. the orignal subtotal).

I only realised this fact when I returned home.

Ordinarily, I would return immediatly and rectify the error, but I am not quite so sure this time. The checkout assistant was a trainee and POTENTIALLY this error could be fatal to his Supermarket career. I have no means of telling whether he is on a last chance to impress. Do I want that blood on my hands? A honest employee trying to secure employment vs a ginat corporation who announced decent profits and will not go under for the sake of £6.94.

The question is....

Would you return to put right this callous error?

Over to you, NSC.

Ps Apologies for the boring thread. I am putting off some work and happily supping some Red Wine that was purchased earlier in the day. I should have waited to purchase at Sainsbury's...obviously.

f*** IT. That was meant to be a poll of a simple Yes/No. :dunce:

Why didn't you simply say that the checkout lady gave you to much change and should i return it out of kindness? No need to write a story about it.
So she gave you a few pennies extra,big deal.They expect trainee's to make mistakes,thats life.Just pocket the money.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why didn't you simply say that the checkout lady gave you to much change and should i return it out of kindness? No need to write a story about it.
So she gave you a few pennies extra,big deal.They expect trainee's to make mistakes,thats life.Just pocket the money.

Those that are able to write stories, do. Those that struggle with dressing themselves, write the above quote. :love:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Give the money to me and clear your conscience.

I'll bear the weight of guilt...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Those that are able to write stories, do. Those that struggle with dressing themselves, write the above quote. :love:
The number dyslexic amongst you, should look away now:lol:

Perhaps you want to read your epic story again as there are a couple of spelling mistakes.Or perhaps you would like me to help here?

Sometimes Paul you do yourself no justice writing rubbish like that.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I doubt the young chap will get in trouble. When I worked for Tesco 20 odd years ago I was on the tills and sold a greenhouse, about £300. In those days the credit card was placed in the machine and hand swipped under carbon paper. I forgot :dunce: and customer got it for nowt. My punishment, called into section managers office told not to do it again.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The number dyslexic amongst you, should look away now:lol:

Perhaps you want to read your epic story again as there are a couple of spelling mistakes.Or perhaps you would like me to help here?

Sometimes Paul you do yourself no justice writing rubbish like that.

1) It is not meant to be taken seriously - I am putting off some work.
2) If you are referring to 'ginat', then that is a typo.
3) I do not think I would require your help. Ever.
4) I would not lose sleep over this thread sinking like a stone. It wouldn't bother me.
4) Stop taking everything so seriously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here