Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Histon Story

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Wikipedia has them down as Conference South winners 2006/7. Last year they finished 7th in the Conference National, 9 points off the play off spot. So this season was definately their second season

This is DEFINITELY 100% their first season in BSP.
They have never won BSS, they came second and won the play offs last year, whilst Lewes won the league.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think I missed the game, but I remember being told once that Beck's Cambridge side were the most one-dimensional team EVER to play at the Goldstone.

Relatively early days in my supporting career. 1-1 from memory. No idea who scored, but I remember it being a baking hot day for March and my dad was rooting for Cambridge as he was a student there. :angry: I seem to remember that they were sponsored by Fujitsu(?) and I thought they were a massive club.

Funny how one post can trigger off the most irrelevant of memories.

Last edited:

ijpemby

Sep 27, 2008
They have never won BSS, they came second and won the play offs last year, whilst Lewes won the league.

I Think he's talking about Histon and if so this information is correct!!!! They have followed a similar route to eastbourne borough, they were both promoted from the counties league about 10 years ago in the same season.
And lets hope there both league in the not too distant future

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I Think he's talking about Histon and if so this information is correct!!!! They have followed a similar route to eastbourne borough, they were both promoted from the counties league about 10 years ago in the same season.
And lets hope there both league in the not too distant future

I would hate for Eastbourne to be in the League. Living here is one thing but leaving a town with a league club to travel to another league club would feel wrong.

Useless fact about Histon - they share something with Grimsby, Chester, Manchester Utd, Chelsea, Rushden & Diamonds (anybody else?) in having a ground not in the place they are named after.

Although, as I was told recently by someone I know who is a councillor there, Histon and Impington are, to all intents and purposes, and certainly in the minds of everyone who lives there, two halves of one place (although officially they aren't).

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex

07-08?

Yeah Lewes got like 91 points and Eastbourne had about 6 or 7 points less.

06-07 found them 7th in the BSS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Conference_2006-07 Scroll down

07-8 found them selves winning the play offs to get to the BSP

Football Conference 2007–08 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia SCROLL DOWN

Wikipedia has them down as Conference South winners 2006/7. Last year they finished 7th in the Conference National, 9 points off the play off spot. So this season was definately their second season

What the bloody hell are you on about?

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
If he's talking about Histon that makes sense.
I would hate Eastbourne to be in the league as well. There all getting too big for their boots down here, just because they finished 13th in BSP.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Useless fact about Histon - they share something with Grimsby, Chester, Manchester Utd, Chelsea, Rushden & Diamonds (anybody else?) in having a ground not in the place they are named after.

Although, as I was told recently by someone I know who is a councillor there, Histon and Impington are, to all intents and purposes, and certainly in the minds of everyone who lives there, two halves of one place (although officially they aren't).

West Ham?

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
I would like to see another sussex club have success. Borough have built themselves up slowly and deserve their success for managing their resouces sustainably unlike many other confreence clubs. If they gain league status in the near future (which i doubt will happen) then well done to them and all there hard work. There are alot of volenteers who have been there since the sussex counties days. They and Histon are an inspiration to many lower place clubs and have gain much praise from other established confrence clubs this year.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Gloucester don't have a ground in the place they are named after, in fact they don't have a ground at all, they have just been promoted to the BSS after a season playing home games in Cirencester.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Slay (Lumberjack Song)

Nottingham Forest

Andredesweald. Forest in Sussex when we had more territory like bits of south London

London next season:

Wycombe
Brentford
Millwall
Charlton
Orient

I think I missed the game, but I remember being told once that Beck's Cambridge side were the most one-dimensional team EVER to play at the Goldstone.

As I heard it, they spent the entire match pumping long balls into the corners in the hope of winning throw ins or wanging in crosses for John Taylor and possibly Dion Dublin to get on the end of. The only side I can remember who were anywhere near that bad were Steve Cotterill's Cheltenham ensemble in about 2001.

That said, Dion Dublin's goal for Cambridge was one of the best I ever saw at the Goldstone.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
For reasons better known to the Psi Cops (shrinks) I can't actually remember ay good goals scored by the opposition, except perhap Ray Train's goal for Rochdale in the last game of the season circa 1971. Not a ripple of applause on account of being 34,000+ Albion fans and the Rochdale fans in a mid-week match were outnumbered. It was such a good goal, hat he did not get lynched!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here