Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The higher The Albion get ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not looking for a clown but you want your players to be taking joy from victory, rather than relief from expectation fulfilled.

I agree, but I think they hold back because they know that getting out of the group was considered to be the minimum expectation. Celebrate it too much and you'd get the "wow you'd think they'd WON it" brigade taking the piss.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Probably because they know of the type of attitude some of the people posting on here, knowing that they are basically despised and sneered at by large sections of their own fans, who are just sharpening the knives and waiting for the chance to pile on when they fail. So its not joy at progessing - its relief. Relief at holding off the backlash for a bit longer.

Fans of other countries enjoy the success of their teams progressing. Many England fans look on it as "our right", and woe betide the team if they fail us.

I suppose Ben White is now one of these "overpaid, overrated bellends" as well, now he's part of the squad.

I think you’re missing the whole point………. Ben White is not the enemy week in week out but the others are.

And that has come about because of Brighton’s rise to the top division.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know I may ruffle a few feathers by saying this, but the general attitude on this forum to England really repulses me. Why can’t we be club AND country? We don’t have to choose between both for crying out loud!

What’s ironic is that I imagine the failure of the “Golden Generation” is what turned many people off of England - a bunch of players who were criticised for consciously/subconsciously prizing club over country. And yet so many on here do the same!

Mate, I'm 63 and have seen it all, from world cup winners to failing to qualify for more than a decade, through shocking managerial appointments, not picking black players, not picking mavericks, to Football's Coming Home, then more mediocrity . . . . . despite Southgate and despite a team full of players whose clubs are our actual league rivals these days, watching England is, on average, far better now than it ever was (and before 66 we were basically a joke, still thinking we owned the game and blaming all defeats on cheating jonny foreigners). I think some people simply can't be bothered with the emotional investment in supporting the national team, have unrealistic expectations and/or are put off by some of the types that attach themselves to the support (with the strong whiff of lower league club allegiance that seems to typify them).

It isn't expected that we win anything, and, no, it doesn't 'feel' the same as following The Albion (but how could it? England don't play twice a week during a months-long season) and when we leave a tournament it doesn't sadden me like an Albion FA cup semi final defeat saddens me, but let's at least enjoy the ride. I put on an England shirt every time we play. I've been inspired by one or two acquaintances (at least two of whom post on NSC) who follow England home and away, and there is, at the end of the day, no need for miserablism. Fear of disappointment should actually be less of a thing if you aren't really that bothered, shirley? Come on England!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Mate, I'm 63 and have seen it all, from world cup winners to failing to qualify for more than a decade, through shocking managerial appointments, not picking black players, not picking mavericks, to Football's Coming Home, then more mediocrity . . . . . despite Southgate and despite a team full of players whose clubs are our actual league rivals these days, watching England is, on average, far better now than it ever was (and before 66 we were basically a joke, still thinking we owned the game and blaming all defeats on cheating jonny foreigners). I think some people simply can't be bothered with the emotional investment in supporting the national team, have unrealistic expectations and/or are put off by some of the types that attach themselves to the support (with the strong whiff of lower league club allegiance that seems to typify them).

It isn't expected that we win anything, and, no, it doesn't 'feel' the same as following The Albion (but how could it? England don't play twice a week during a months-long season) and when we leave a tournament it doesn't sadden me like an Albion FA cup semi final defeat saddens me, but let's at least enjoy the ride. I put on an England shirt every time we play. I've been inspired by one or two acquaintances (at least two of whom post on NSC) who follow England home and away, and there is, at the end of the day, no need for miserablism. Fear of disappointment should actually be less of a thing if you aren't really that bothered, shirley? Come on England!

george1.jpg

Prince George says "YES!!!!! Support England!"

"I've got to do something while I wait for my great grandmother, grandfather and father to die. Has any other king had to wait for 3 people to die while making sure his younger sister doesn't push him in front of a car?"

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think you’re missing the whole point………. Ben White is not the enemy week in week out but the others are.

And that has come about because of Brighton’s rise to the top division.

But they're not "the enemy" when they're wearing England shirts are they.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I know I may ruffle a few feathers by saying this, but the general attitude on this forum to England really repulses me. Why can’t we be club AND country? We don’t have to choose between both for crying out loud!

What’s ironic is that I imagine the failure of the “Golden Generation” is what turned many people off of England - a bunch of players who were criticised for consciously/subconsciously prizing club over country. And yet so many on here do the same!

I'm with you on this.

I genuinely don't understand why if you like football and you're English you don't support England.

In particular what I don't understand is the constant need to tell every one you don't care about England/you want them to lose/you'd rather watch another country because a Brighton player of a few months might be playing/all the England players are arrogant scum bags(apart from,presumably, Ben White and, when he was called up, Lewis Dunk)/etc etc

If, over the years you've been worn down by one too many false dawns, fine.

If you're not English, obviously fine.

If you only have a passing interest in football, fine.

If not, I don't get it. I really don't.

This is a club that fought tooth and nail to ensure it's survival and it's survival in Brighton and Hove. We fought to turn the tide in Sussex of kids supporting the big clubs and getting them to support Brighton. This is a club that is proud that it's succeeded in turning large parts of the county blue and white. This is a club that is proud to represent Sussex, that has a WWI Sussex marching song as its clubs anthem.

All of that to me makes sense. And it makes sense that the logical extrapolation of that is England.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
When he plays for England, why not?

When he plays for Villa, of course he's an annoying t**t, but when he, or indeed anyone pulls on an England shirt, I'll support them.

This seems to actually be Grealish's attitude too. I saw an interview with him the other day where he was asked if he was looking forward to playing in front of the England fans and what it meant to him. His reply was along the lines of he couldn't wait. They probably boo him most weeks when he's playing for Villa but it was great to hear their support when he's got the England shirt on.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
george1.jpg

Prince George says "YES!!!!! Support England!"

"I've got to do something while I wait for my great grandmother, grandfather and father to die. Has any other king had to wait for 3 people to die while making sure his younger sister doesn't push him in front of a car?"

Is that brake fluid on his hands? has he been practicing being a mechanic on Grandads car?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably far more to do with the older you get, the far less you care about your national team tho eh? Euros and World Cups come and go and in the end you realise that none of it really matters. Well not to a Scotland fan anyways. These tournaments only exist to teach our young kids the life lesson of crushing disappointment earlydoors :shrug:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Had great times watching England but enthusiasm at an all time low, I think the omission of Dunk and the inclusion of a not 100 % fit slab head was the final nail. Tbh interest in professional football is pretty low. Loved what I saw of Brighton last year but can't come to terms with salaries and ticket prices.

Moan about the omission of Lewis Dunk all you like, but l'm forced to admit, that Slab Head did pretty well last night in his first game back after injury. Tyrone Mings too even played well in the first couple of matches.

Other teams do have a few good players you know! Oh, and we do have Ben White in the squad too.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Had great times watching England but enthusiasm at an all time low, I think the omission of Dunk and the inclusion of a not 100 % fit slab head was the final nail. Tbh interest in professional football is pretty low. Loved what I saw of Brighton last year but can't come to terms with salaries and ticket prices.

I was walking the dog the other week and there was a game on in BUckingham Park. I stopped and watched for 10 minutes, it was a good watch, despite the quality. It's all about what you can comfortably relate to and subsequently enjoy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here