Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The HAWK out injured, Saturday?

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Maybe I have selective memory, but I didn't think Hawkins was such a major culprit when it comes to launching it upfield.

Me neither. If anything I thought (most of the time) his passing was very good, especially headers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hawkins tends to play it short to Elphick to launch it, or to Whing/Richards who usually lump it vaguely towards the corner flag.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Hawkins tends to play it short to Elphick to launch it, or to Whing/Richards who usually lump it vaguely towards the corner flag.

Possibly fair, but he was definitely guilty of hoofing on Tuesday night.

In the second half though, Loft and Livermore went looking for the ball from the defenders, and as a result, there was less hoofing.

Hopefully a similar midfield on Saturday will see similar results.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
It's great to have the choice between 3 quality centre backs.

Don't forget Virgo as well.

AND if Kuipers keeps his current form, shouldn't be any problems in defence this year.

Did you not notice Virgo's injury on Tuesday?

Albion are still sweating over how long Adam Virgo will be sidelined.
The left knee he damaged at Northampton on Tuesday is in a brace and he is definitely out of Saturday's home game against Scunthorpe.
Manager Micky Adams said: "The scan has showed no ligament damage, which is good news, but severe bruising in the joint and also something that we are not quite sure about, so we are going to get that checked out by the club consultant.
"That could be anything, a shadow, a bit of bruising or even a fracture.
"Until the consultant takes a look we won't know how long it is going to be but he certainly won't be available for Saturday."

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton
Hawkins out injured on saturday will be a big blow to us as he has in my opinion been the best player so far this season.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Albion v Scunthorpe United - Team News | Brighton and Hove Albion | Match | Preview
Albion v Scunthorpe United - Team News
Posted on: Thu 04 Sep 2008

Adam Virgo is ruled out of Saturday's home clash with Scunthorpe United (3pm).

The versatile midfielder limped out of Tuesday night's Johnstone's Paints Trophy victory at Northampton with a knee injury, but a scan has revealed he hasn't suffered any ligament damage.

Virgo will now see a consultant in the next few days to determine how long he can expect to be sidelined.

Meanwhile Steven Thomson has trained fully and could return this weekend.

More to follow.

No mention of Hawkins being out on the official site.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
From the Argus this am:

Albion wait on injuries

7:50am Thursday 4th September 2008

Colin Hawkins is in the wars again as Albion prepare for a major Withdean test.

The ever-present defender picked up a foot injury in Tuesday’s win at Northampton and will be assessed today as the Seagulls prepare to host Scunthorpe United in League One.

Results are also awaited today on Adam Virgo’s scan on the knee he injured at Sixfields but midfielder Steve Thomson could be back in training after missing the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie.

Scunthorpe were heading to the title when they visited Withdean two seasons ago and Micky Adams expects them to provide a formidable obstacle to his side’s bid for a first home win in the league.

The Albion manager said: “They are up there as one of the favourites to get promoted. That in itself should be a warning that we have got to be at our best to beat them.”

Albion go into the game without having conceded a goal from open play in five games. Joel Lynch slotted in comfortably at Northampton alongside Hawkins, who overcame a groin injury to play in the side’s last league gamne against Leyton Orient.

Adams is delighted with the way his side have been defending. He said: “That shows the work we have done on the training ground more than anything.

“We have tried to get a system that works throughout the football club, from the juniors to the reserves to the first team.

“Joel has had some decent reserve games and he knows what is required. He certainly knows how to defend.”

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
Some people are going way over the top about Hawkins.

Solid enough but no more than an average League 1 stopper but not the Baresi people on here seem to portray him as.

Was losing quite a lot in the air against Orient and a lot of his headers were going either straight out or straight to an Orient player.

He has been good and our squad is certainly better with him in it than without him.

But, I have not seen any evidence to suggest he is better than either Lynch or Elphick - both of whom coped with the majority of what this division could throw at them last season.

People are also forgetting Hawkins gave away the pen against Bristol Rovers and nearly dropped us in it against Southend with a horror pass back. Exactly the sort of lapses in concentration Lynch would be criticised for.

I think it is great we have three decent defenders at this level. I would just prefer the balanced partnership of Lynch and Elphick.

As for experience - it is not as if Hawkins has racked up hundreds of Championship games is it?

I can't help thinking that if Kuipers - who has been our outstanding player this season - was a little more off form than we would not been praising Hawkins et al quite so much. Against Orient for example we could have lost 3v0 were in not for Kuipers. The same could be said for Bristol Rovers. Were that the case I don't think people would be going quite so over the top about how good our back four is.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Some people are going way over the top about Hawkins.

Solid enough but no more than an average League 1 stopper but not the Baresi people on here seem to portray him as.

Was losing quite a lot in the air against Orient and a lot of his headers were going either straight out or straight to an Orient player.

He has been good and our squad is certainly better with him in it than without him.

But, I have not seen any evidence to suggest he is better than either Lynch or Elphick - both of whom coped with the majority of what this division could throw at them last season.

People are also forgetting Hawkins gave away the pen against Bristol Rovers and nearly dropped us in it against Southend with a horror pass back. Exactly the sort of lapses in concentration Lynch would be criticised for.

I think it is great we have three decent defenders at this level. I would just prefer the balanced partnership of Lynch and Elphick.

As for experience - it is not as if Hawkins has racked up hundreds of Championship games is it?

I can't help thinking that if Kuipers - who has been our outstanding player this season - was a little more off form than we would not been praising Hawkins et al quite so much. Against Orient for example we could have lost 3v0 were in not for Kuipers. The same could be said for Bristol Rovers. Were that the case I don't think people would be going quite so over the top about how good our back four is.

top post

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I think we are very lucky to have such great cover at the back.
In other positions a player missing would be a disaster (ie when McLeod and Murray were out) but in central defence we have quality to chose from.
Would still rather Hawkins was fit though.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor

Thank you.

I think there is the temptation for the big Hawkins fans to assume the pro Lynch brigade are criticising Hawkins. Not so in my case. I am glad we have him - would just rather he was used as back up.

That said, I guess it is a long season and I imagine all three will get a fair run at one stage. I just don't really see what Lynch did wrong.

There also seems to be a huge tendancy on here to follow the crowd. As soon as a couple of prominant posters start calling Hawkins THE HAWK and saying how great he is a lot of others quickly follow suit and before you know it Hawkins being amazing has become 'NSC fact'.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Thank you.

I think there is the temptation for the big Hawkins fans to assume the pro Lynch brigade are criticising Hawkins. Not so in my case. I am glad we have him - would just rather he was used as back up.

That said, I guess it is a long season and I imagine all three will get a fair run at one stage. I just don't really see what Lynch did wrong.

There also seems to be a huge tendancy on here to follow the crowd. As soon as a couple of prominant posters start calling Hawkins THE HAWK and saying how great he is a lot of others quickly follow suit and before you know it Hawkins being amazing has become 'NSC fact'.

you speak the truth. i suggested your latter point the other day and got told i was insulting the whole on nsc :laugh:

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
I don't think everyone follows the crowd but a number of, I suppose you would call them senior posters, do I think have a bit of influence on what others say without necessarily meaning to.

It is not just NSC though - you hear it at Withdean. As soon as someone shouts out something like 'Get the defence up, you're sitting too deep' or something about a certain player then you can bet your last pound that at least half a dozen people will start shouting similar.

Not sure it is even a conscious action - just one which seems to happen an awful lot.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
Thank you.

Lynch was injured, so Hawkins came into the first team, and what has he done wrong to deserve the drop? I agree people tend to follow the crowd. People always have to argue, someone says Hawkins is better others will say Lynch is. What i'm trying to say is All the criticism Hawkins gets isn't his fault such as; 'misplaced headers' - the midfielders should be battling for the second ball, 'the hoofing' when it isn't always sensible to play brazilian 1970's football from the back, get rid of the ball. I'm just saying that until Hawkins is forced out of squad by injury and Joel impresses, he should be kept in the squad, always play your best 11.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here