Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The half-time change

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I heard that and my heart cried , i really thought he had done the biz instead of just trying to shore things up . I hope he keeps playing positive attacking subs when we are ahead , instead of doing what Chris Hughton always did it didn`t work then and it wont now . The biggest truest i ever heard is " Attack is the best form of defence "

Apparently it did work as we are still in the league.

Burn was having a nightmare defensively, hamstring or not it was an excellent substitution by GP.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Exactly Bozza, he was forced into the right decision today. Let's hope Burn is out for a while because we looked much better without him.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Much praise from Danny Murphy and the BBC pundits about Graham Potter's tactical half-time change, and how it led to our second-half control of the game, and, ultimately, the victory.

Up steps Graham Potter for his post-match interview and reveals it was an enforced change as Dan Burn had a tight hamstring (I think that's what he said anyway, as BBC immediately cut him off to end the broadcast).

Feels like a bit of luck we were due.

This is not your first excellent thread start of the day :wink:
Agree, although it all depends on the extent of Burn's injury. If it's a bad one, not so sure being reduced to just three front line defenders constitutes luck.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This is not your first excellent thread start of the day :wink:
Agree, although it all depends on the extent of Burn's injury. If it's a bad one, not so sure being reduced to just three front line defenders constitutes luck.

Do you think he’d have subbed him otherwise?

He was asleep defensively for much of the first half. Clearly, would be better if he wasn’t injured, but IMO he shouldn’t be starting.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Burn defiantly pulled up momentarily holding his left hamstring in the build to the pass to Grob that resulted in his slip shot, it was only momentary and the ball broke which Burn run onto before the pass to Grob

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Do you think he’d have subbed him otherwise?

He was asleep defensively for much of the first half. Clearly, would be better if he wasn’t injured, but IMO he shouldn’t be starting.

Burn is not my favourite player and is no more than a decent squad player in the PL. For 2020, I was somewhat perplexed at the regularity in which he was starting, but I think he's done a decent job since being torn apart by Traore having been shifted to LB with weak cover from someone who isn't that good at defending.
But, to your question, no, I don't think he would, certainly not at half-time. As indicated in the previous post, we're now down to three proper defenders.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Made me laugh out loud when he said that. Shshhhh Graham!

That said. Given the options Ziqiri was still a tactical master stroker.

Exactly, even so, I don’t think any of us would have put Zequiri there. An inspired choice.

Thought zequiri was excellent . Fast up the wing , good in the tackle and much more of a goal threat than burn ( obviously) !

Maybe the change was forced, but the choice to bring on Zequiri was a very good one.

We looked so much better with a complete rookie left footed Swiss youth forward at LWB, god help us

Looks like Complete Rookie Left Footed Swiss Youth Forward is going to be a safer option than trying to spell Zeqiri correctly:)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
GP may have been being completely honest, protecting BDB, or a bit of both, but Zeqiri's performance certainly didn't give the appearance of someone 'covering' that position without a hell of a lot of work having been done on the training pitches :whistle:

Said the same thing to my Son. No way he could play there of the cuff

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Luck schmuck, he's protecting Burn, who played pretty well in the first half lest we forget, and subbing on Zeqiri is the arguably the least like for like swop he could have made, that was tactical.

I said to my Saints supporters co-watchers that it was tactical - attacking player for a defender. I also let on it was in my view “dangerous”...... for us. Very very happy I was wrong. Potter tactical genius.:albion2:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Burn was injured

Potter probably thought If I use Andy instead of Alzate we can still play those diagonal outlet balls.

Potter was right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Zeqiri is a left footer and has enthusiasm you can sense through the TV screen. He wants to be involved in the game and we need a whole lot of that. Gross at right wing back is a fairly natural fit given he can run forever, but Zeqiri at left wing back was a surprise. I would have thought Alzate would have been the option, but we needed some attacking threat on that side which you'll get with a striker playing there. It reminded me a bit of Michael Mahoney-Johnson being given a run at left back, having been signed as a striker - but Zeqiri clearly has something to his game rather than just a left foot. He did well and he should certainly be considered for future games in that position if required.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Also no coincidence that Propper came on to play in front of Veltman - when coming on as sub before he went to the right to play in front of Veltman there - Potter likes his combinations which often over ride what you would think is a players "normal" position

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Certainly thought Zeqiri did well upon his introduction. His willingness to get involved and get forward and considering he's only had a few brief chances to play so far, I certainly for one like the look of him. Could certainly be one of those almost unheard of players we sign every year to actually make it. Very promising and a great attitude.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
Five live called it at half time, was a hamstring issue. Still pleased for Potter, he deserved result today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here