Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The hacking plot thickens...

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Phone hacking isn't exactly world shattering news and it happens. It's all over hyped in the press and It's all out of proportion. It's not right but really................who does it effect. You.... me .... no.

Boring.

Sorry, don't accept the "doesn't affect me so it's not important" argument. I know, for example, plenty of servicemen, some of whom have recently been killed in action. Some of the phone hacking has been of relatives and wives of such people.

It only takes a tragedy in your family, the lowest point in your life, and then it's you they're after.

When they're hitting celebrities and politicians, I can see your point, but when it's normal people who have been hit by the worst kind of tragedy, I can't.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It would be quite amusing if it is found out Cameron hired Coulson to hack Ed Millibands mobile.

you don't think he has not tried..............somebody will have no doubt

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Sorry, don't accept the "doesn't affect me so it's not important" argument. I know, for example, plenty of servicemen, some of whom have recently been killed in action. Some of the phone hacking has been of relatives and wives of such people.

It only takes a tragedy in your family, the lowest point in your life, and then it's you they're after.

When they're hitting celebrities and politicians, I can see your point, but when it's normal people who have been hit by the worst kind of tragedy, I can't.

My point is that it's all out of perspective. Look whats happened in Norway. Thats far more devastating news but we will all say 'oh how sad' and continue griping over phone hacking.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Norway = another country, an event outside our control, the actions of a madman.
Phone hacking = in our counry, an event under our control, an issue fundamental to the British way of life, i.e. freedom of speech and the incorruptibility of the police.

I care much more about phone hacking.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My point is that it's all out of perspective. Look whats happened in Norway. Thats far more devastating news but we will all say 'oh how sad' and continue griping over phone hacking.

I'd dispute that on the basis that neither have any correlation to the other. And if you don't think people die through headline news you are sadly mistaken. Try being a multi tasker and you'll realise you can disseminate one story from another. And when the story goes to the heart of Government and the police that are supposed to be keeping our country safe then I would say it has as much importance as 92 people dying. Or do you prefer having an inherently bent system in your country? I'd prefer one nutter to a corrupt system.

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Phone hacking will have been undertaken by every newspaper and other "reputable" news organisations (BBC, ITV, SKY???) and the comeuppence is only now happening. There is a big difference however between a news item being in the public interest and one being interesting to the public which the NOTW pursued. The problem now though is that "proper" investigative journalists seeking stories that are genuinely in the public interest may think twice before using underhand means to expose worse criminal acts.

Councils have the power to do it !!

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Councils have the power to do it !!

Exactly.....This news started as a story about the hacking of celeb phones. No one was really interested. The NOTW paid them off and the celebs looked good by giving the money to charity. Add in so emotional content (dead servicemen's families, Millie Dowler) and suddenly the county is whipped into a frenzy of distaste. It's not the fact that someone has had their phone hacked that has kept this in the news, it's sensationalism and political posturing. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Hacking has been going on for many years and will continue despite what happens now. We are simply being used by the press.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Exactly.....This news started as a story about the hacking of celeb phones. No one was really interested. The NOTW paid them off and the celebs looked good by giving the money to charity. Add in so emotional content (dead servicemen's families, Millie Dowler) and suddenly the county is whipped into a frenzy of distaste. It's not the fact that someone has had their phone hacked that has kept this in the news, it's sensationalism and political posturing. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Hacking has been going on for many years and will continue despite what happens now. We are simply being used by the press.

Sorry I really don't understand your point. To me this is a massive story, and I HOPE a big kick up the arse for our press.

Doesn't interest you? Fine. Does me.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The "revelations" today can be summarised as key people are prepared to provide evidence that Coulson and the Murdoch's knew in detail what was going on and that they have been less than honest in their presentations to parliament. Personally I hope they get nailed for this, but it does seem a little like old news when compared to events last week.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Phone hacking isn't exactly world shattering news and it happens. It's all over hyped in the press and It's all out of proportion. It's not right but really................who does it effect. You.... me .... no.

Boring.

well it AFFECTS me, as my boss has just gone off to be part of the enquiry team

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The "revelations" today can be summarised as key people are prepared to provide evidence that Coulson and the Murdoch's knew in detail what was going on and that they have been less than honest in their presentations to parliament.

Is anyone really very surprised (should this be the case)

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I don't believe any intelligent person would have thought this was the exclusive domain of News international. Apparently there are now links to the Sunday Mirror doing it. Surprised? Not me. So how far will we dig down into the bucket of corrupt slime? Probably to the point where all media groups have done it. Makes me wonder who will be the first top politician and/or policeman who is indicted.

No wonder Diana is turning in her alleged grave, she isn't dead, the Express told you first!

It'll probably surface that Andy Naylor hacked Bozza's phone to get some dirt on this community.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here