Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The greatest Brighton-Japanese interaction of all time?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is the correct answer, I was lucky enough to be down in that corner when they went over the line....
Absolutely loved it, I went nuts, it was a personal victory for me, sticking it to all those horrible South African site managers I have come across over the years....

Take that.

I didn't go because I thought it would be too one sided...

I Feel Stupid Kurt Cobain GIF by Nirvana

Still, South Africa came quite close....

Dun Lurkin

Feb 20, 2023
I had my first ever sushi in Brighton. Does that count? (Not exactly earth shattering news though).

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
Looking at Brighton-Japanese relations through British and Swedish newspaper archives, not a lot has been going on.

These appears to be the two most important interactions between these worlds:

1. TODAY in 1982 there was a whale catching committe (IWO) meeting in Brighton where Japan said they were going to do everything they could to keep fishing whales. People were protesting outside hotel Metropole. In the end some sort of agreement was reached to stop fishing wales at the end of the 1985/86 season.
2. Two years earlier, in 1980, it seems there was another discussion on the same subject. Japan, Russia, Korea, Chile and Canada all said no to the worldwide ban the UK, US and a few other nation wanted.

And thats it.

If you're as disinterested in whales as I am, this means today - unless someone can find something more powerful - will be a historical day for everyone in Japan and/or Brighton.
hey! I was at that (season defining) protest. There was a huge inflatable whale y’know.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The father of one of my friends was a Brightonian who was in an internment camp in Japan at the end of WW2.

He was about 13 years old and fluent in Japanese and translated the surrender message to the others in the camp.

There's a cherry tree in his memory in St Anne's Well Gardens.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I have a proper link between Brighton and Hove and Japan: many of the commanders of the Japanese fleet that destroyed the Imperial Russian Navy at Tsushima in 1905 were trained at the King Alfred Centre. They are seen as the fathers of the Imperial Japanese Navy that became infamous in WWII, through Pearl Harbour, the conquest of much of South East Asia and the Pacific. Fortunately they were ultimately defeated and the King Alfred was subject to several revamps.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
The 9th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment fought in Burma against the Japanese from about 1942 onwards……………

Plenty of interactions there, albeit not everyone in that battalion would be men from Sussex.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
The 9th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment fought in Burma against the Japanese from about 1942 onwards……………

Plenty of interactions there, albeit not everyone in that battalion would be men from Sussex.
My dad was sent to Burma in 1944, aged 18, to fight, pretty sure he wasn’t in that battalion though.
He was never a fan of the Japanese after that…..

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Quite a lot of Sussex men, my grandfather included, had interaction with the Japanese between 1942-1945. EDIT: others beat me to it!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Are you able to download that photo? Pretty sure my grandfather was in that Battalion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here