Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I could be completely wrong but I would be surprised if interest from the likes of Elche would have much to do with anything. Surely he and his people would know absolutely full well that there would be interest from within Spain with him back playing and seemingly fit. Indeed, one would think he would be disappointed that the only (public) interest has come from Elche and relegated Villarreal. I still think that they are just annoyed that they lost out in the contract expiry game of bluff.

Agreed .. having demonstrated his fitness he must have known that he would find something reasonable in Spain, just a question of where. He probably played us along a while whilst understanding the options available. Think the baby is a convenient smoke screen, not as if there are any health problems or schooling issues and we're hardly 3rd world. The Mrs could even stay in Spain and there could be a bit of a commute angle for what would only be 10 months, it's only a 2 hour flight ... disruptive I agree but not exactly life changing

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I think this boils down to trying ourselves feel better about him leaving. He'd be a huge loss and a top quality player I'm afraid.

In my case I disagree. I REALLY am not sure he fitted into our team.. at least the team we had last season. No one questions his ability but sometimes the best player in the world doesnt fit in a team and our form with him playing was not great.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think this boils down to trying ourselves feel better about him leaving. He'd be a huge loss and a top quality player I'm afraid.

Agree with this too ... he will be a huge loss. Peeps talk about us building and this was one pretty bloody good building block. Thankfully my made up version of events will soften the blow of him not returning for me!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
In my case I disagree. I REALLY am not sure he fitted into our team.. at least the team we had last season. No one questions his ability but sometimes the best player in the world doesnt fit in a team and our form with him playing was not great.

I quite agree. This Lionel Messi chap is simply BEGGING to play for us, but Gus has rightly told him to piss off because he doesn't fit in to our team.....what?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Because he was our only real outlet and it seemed like everything had to go through him. I was hoping to see someone equally (or nearly) capable alongside him and another ahead of him then I think we would have really seen some great stuff

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I quite agree. This Lionel Messi chap is simply BEGGING to play for us, but Gus has rightly told him to piss off because he doesn't fit in to our team.....what?

One win in about 13 games Vicente started suggests he has a point. He's arguabiliy the best to ever wear the strips, but if the manager is incapable of picking a team around him, and one win in 13 suggests he's not, then maybe we are better off without him

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Point one is that Vicente owes Brighton nothing and as for comments for loyalty, he was an employee of ours for just under one year. That doesn't make him a lifelong supporter.
With regard to the comments on contract, yes he signed a one year contract with an option to extend. It was very clear in the press, and no doubt reporters can substantiate when GP said what he did, that BHA were not going to invoke that extension if Vicented didn't want that. As far as I am aware, that is not a hearsay comment and hasn't been denied. On that basis, a court may well find in favour of Vicente, who would argue that if he did not want to come back he would be free to talk to other clubs. Unfortunately this appears another mismanagement of contracts by the club. What they should have done is invoked the extension straight away and then offer to negotiate a new contract, rather than the other way around. Vicente would not have got ideas in his head that he could go elsewhere and would probably be, at this moment, on a route march over the south downs with the rest of the squad!!!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Because he was our only real outlet and it seemed like everything had to go through him. I was hoping to see someone equally (or nearly) capable alongside him and another ahead of him then I think we would have really seen some great stuff

Well it maybe this has all come to a head because that person you were waiting for hadnt signed by the time Vicente had to make a decision. He may have thought the same way as you.

I think hes being ungrateful and I think he is a fantastic player (lets be honest he could be the equivalent of Messi at this level) but there are just too many ifs to the whole thing. I have a feeling that Gus may already have moved on and the only ones going on about it are the fans.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
One win in about 13 games Vicente started suggests he has a point. He's arguabiliy the best to ever wear the strips, but if the manager is incapable of picking a team around him, and one win in 13 suggests he's not, then maybe we are better off without him

And if we are to be without him then someone else will hav to step into the breach who has some flair ..as we relied too much on last 5/10 minute goals at home....I'd suggest he gave us opportunities of doing better in those 13.

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Not entirely sure he had a whole load to pick from

Im having trouble understanding why you disagree with my earlier point.

I agree with the right players in, Vicente would be fantastic
I agree maybe the right players weren't/aren't available.

Ergo... with the side weve got its not going to work? That's my fear and that's why Im not crying into my pint about him leaving. We have to work matching the tools we can get together. One player doesnt make a team.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Im having trouble understanding why you disagree with my earlier point.

I agree with the right players in, Vicente would be fantastic
I agree maybe the right players weren't/aren't available.

Ergo... with the side weve got its not going to work? That's my fear and that's why Im not crying into my pint about him leaving. We have to work matching the tools we can get together. One player doesnt make a team.

I don't really disagree except in the context of the statement that "Rome wasn't built in a day" I think we took a punt on Vicente and it seemed to be working and therefore Gus might have thought something along the lines of "right I can now dump the idea of a Billy Barn Door or Vokes find myself another playmaking MF and another livewire slightly ahead and we can really play the type of football that I'm advocating.

As [MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION]couldn'tshoot says maybe Vicente was waiting for the names to appear and didn't so he's done a runner, don't thinks so but some possibility.

So I don't neccessarily disagree with you, if we aren't going to strengthen in those areas maybe he won't be a loss ... but if not then I might ask WTF are we going to do ... bring back Dicker, Harley and Sparrow?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Tottenaham didn't win about 30 games when Gareth Bale started, does that mean he's shit too?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Certainly the 'smoke' suggests he is going. If so, there has to be a transfer, even nominal and if necessary it will means Vicente's wages being lower. TBH its no point doing a Tevez here as we dont have the money to throw away like Man City.

Ill still stand to the fact that he may not be much of a loss. NO guarantee hell stay fit and no guarantee we can afford to have such a player in our team (a flair player who doesnt contribute defensively... or just is too clever for the rest of the team to read)

Tevez didn't cost City a penny while he was sulking in Argentina - he was breaching his contract and therefore the club didn't pay him. I think it was reported that he lost out on £9.3 million or something. No reason why we can't do the same with Vicente IMO.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I don't really disagree except in the context of the statement that "Rome wasn't built in a day" I think we took a punt on Vicente and it seemed to be working and therefore Gus might have thought something along the lines of "right I can now dump the idea of a Billy Barn Door or Vokes find myself another playmaking MF and another livewire slightly ahead and we can really play the type of football that I'm advocating.

As [MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION]couldn'tshoot says maybe Vicente was waiting for the names to appear and didn't so he's done a runner, don't thinks so but some possibility.

So I don't neccessarily disagree with you, if we aren't going to strengthen in those areas maybe he won't be a loss ... but if not then I might ask WTF are we going to do ... bring back Dicker, Harley and Sparrow?

Cant disagree with this....... Gus might be thinking the same thing.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Tevez didn't cost City a penny while he was sulking in Argentina - he was breaching his contract and therefore the club didn't pay him. I think it was reported that he lost out on £9.3 million or something. No reason why we can't do the same with Vicente IMO.

This is exactly what we should do, stop paying him and hold onto his registration until next June. He can either come back and honour the contract he signed last year, or waste a year in spain.

Another option might be that we loan him to Elche with some sort of loan fee attached, although not sure whether they have the funds for that.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Yep, just read the paper myself.

Sounds like he's very keen to sign for Elche, same story he sold us in that he doesn't need the money so signing on the 6k a week for Elche (rumoured in the paper) isn't a problem to him. Only thing stopping this is that we have Vicente under contract now, which has annoyed both him and his agent.

Gus said he wouldnt keep a player who didnt want to play for us, if he sticks to that, Vicente's gone. Time to move on to new targets IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here