Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great St James' Street cash machine CRISIS

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Has anybody else noticed that for about 3 weeks now the two Abbey cash machines at the bottom of St James' Street have been out of service?

Now considering there is ALWAYS without fail a queue to use these machines, it's causing considerable frustration that they never work anymore. The only other machine anywhere near is the Co-Op machine further up the road, but this machine is in operation about as often as Mark McCammon scores sublime 30-yard piledrivers.

These machines are the closest to my home and to where I work and their being out of service is making it a right pain in the preverbial, as it means I have to either stroll across the Old Steine to the RBS machine at the bottom of North Street or pay £1.75 at one of them poxy newsagent machines.

What is it with this town and the lack of cash machines? You rarely ever find one without a queue, no matter what time of day or the year and there are so many places where your only convenient option is one of the dodgy con machines that charge you for getting at your own money. Makes me MAD with capital letters.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
What did we do before them? I remember the ones with the orange digital numbers in the little square peep hole - but can't remember them never existing?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
At least you don't work next to Oxford Street.

Practically every week someone from my office gets their card skinned (or whatever it's called) at one of the cashpoints round here. You just can't use them any more, have to go to M&S or somewhere like that and get cashback instead.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't know EXACTLY where you are living but have you considered the Lloyds TSB machine in Kemp Town? There are two machines there and rarely do you have to queue.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I don't know EXACTLY where you are living but have you considered the Lloyds TSB machine in Kemp Town? There are two machines there and rarely do you have to queue.

Must be no coke on the £20 notes then? :lol:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
burgess hill is AWASH with cash machines. it makes it a jpoy to live here

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Fourteenth Eye said:
what about the one 50 yards up the road next to the co op ?? or does it hurt your masculinity to walk past the bulldog ???

Re-read in order then....

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town

Those ones are ok if I'm coming from home but when on my lunch break from work it takes up valuable drinking time to mission it all the way up that end of Kemp Town.

I've almost always had to queue for them though, perhaps I just always seem to pick peak cash withdrawal hours

It's a pain in the arse, today there was a massive que only for me to realise when I eventually got to the machine that it was doing balances only. I've started buying 10p Space Raider Crisps from the Co-Op and getting cashback.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think I've ever had to queue for a cash machine in Brighton.

There are loads of them on London Road and they're nearly always free.

Why don't you just take more money out each time, save you going back?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Bluejuice said:
What is it with this town and the lack of cash machines? You rarely ever find one without a queue, no matter what time of day or the year and there are so many places where your only convenient option is one of the dodgy con machines that charge you for getting at your own money. Makes me MAD with capital letters.
Before dougdeep does it.....

CITY

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Bluejuice said:
or pay £1.75 at one of them poxy newsagent machines.

???

They're free here... They only let you get somewhere from 50 to 200 euro, whereas my bank has a 700 euro limit, but theres no fees on them.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
It's a pain in the arse, today there was a massive que only for me to realise when I eventually got to the machine that it was doing balances only. I've started buying 10p Space Raider Crisps from the Co-Op and getting cashback.

I work right near Danny and Bluejuice, I have the same problem. I can't pay for my lunch with a card so when the ATMs are out it's a bloody pain in the arse.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Brighton is a TOWN.

f*** what the Queen says.

Erm, strange attitude to take.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Because we were granted City status...which makes us a City, not a Town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here