Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Great Escape Festival

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Ticket required to get an armband that allows entry. Think day tickets are sold but could try website

Thanks, was hoping if I just happened to be in the pub and a gig broke out I might be OK.

I've got tickets to his gig in October at Hope and Ruin so I'll wait till then

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
In a bit of a coincidence i just recently discovered the Amazons and notice they are performing at Chalk. I presume you have to go to the whole event to get a ticket?

A shame to miss out but it always looks bloody good fun

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not going myself, as I am otherwise occupied, very jealous of anyone going, some great bands but I'd recommend, for some of the smaller names, The Lounge Society, Sofy, Enola Gay, The Bug Club, CMAT, English Teacher, Honeyglaze, Pozi and Wu-Lu to anyone going all very decent bands. A very good festival, with some of my first exposure to some of my favourite current bands being at the festival, Black Midi, Working Mens Club, Pip Blom, Snapped Ankles, The Murder Capital, Shame, The Beths amongst many countless others

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Are there any day tickets still available? If so I might make a last ditch effort to get down
I recommend Douglas Dare if you like Thom Yorke's solo piano stuff, mixed with a bit of Olafur Arnalds.

Think day tickets have now all gone. Douglas Dare is on my 'B list'.

I'd highly recommend Crows and Coach Party. Unfortunately they are playing back to back at different venues Velvet Hands, who are playing as part of the free Alternative Escape, are also great.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Got my ticket carried over from 2020.
Not made any kind of plan yet but I did see that The Bug Club are playing Friday afternoon.

I was told 'Do not see Bug Club under any circumstances'. I think they may well divide opinion!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Best weekend of the year in Brighton. I know some on here think it isn't quite what it used to be, however I don't see it.

Acts at TGE generally fall into three categories; undiscovered, breaking or established but needing a boost. I avoid the latter category, not least as it can draw the causal punter and thus queues.

Like many in this thread, I've attended great gigs in tiny venues at TGE including Squid, IDLES, Sam Fender, London Grammar. Alabama Shakes, etc.

Thanks for the recommendations in this thread; Mattiel and The Bug Club have been added to my list. Beyond the obvious such as Yard Act, I'd recommend Pist Idiots, Bob Vylan and Gabriels.
There must have been all of 30 of us squeezed into that seafront arch to see Squid in 2019!

I bought super early bird tickets for £25 a pop at the end of the 2019 TGE and have been eagerly anticipating ever since. Can't wait. BC Camplight top of my list.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Does anyone else have trouble playing clips from the TGE app? It tells me I'm not connected to t'internet when I am.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
A mate who'd seen them who obviously88 thought they were rubbish. Suppose I'm going to have see them now to find out...

It’s annoying they play when they do as won’t be able to escape work that early in the day. Enjoy and let me know the verdict.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Does anyone else have trouble playing clips from the TGE app? It tells me I'm not connected to t'internet when I am.

Yep, me. The app is not working on iPhone. Very annoying.

Anyway Grandma's House at the MVT stage my start point today and will take it from there and see where I end up. Annoying Katy J Pearson and Muna clash this evening I think there will be a lot of that this weekend.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Just back home, having rushed from work to start with Malaki at The Albert at 4. So good to have TGE back, a truly wonderful evening.

Malaki was great, The Voodoos were brilliant (after leaving Sarpa Salpo 2 songs in...). Milo Clare disappointed, but then had fun watching SummeRR.

Massive queues meant The Goa Express and Yard Act were a non starter, so went to see Fever at The Albert, which was fun.

Roll on tomorrow, and the Amazon New Music Stage from 4.15 until Priya Ragu finishes, then off to Coalition.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Great first day, Katy J Pearson, Muna, Crown Lands, Dea Matrona, Grace Cummings, Kathryn Joseph, Kills Birds all highlights for me. Quite enjoyed Daisy Brain, Ultra Q, George O’Hallohan, Grandmas House, Voodoos, Crawlers and The Vanns. Roll on day 2

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Saw MEMES, Mykki Blanco, Graham Coxons new thing (pretty good), Penguin Cafe in St Mary’s Church (amazing) and Kam-Bu who was really good fun downstairs at Patterns. Tactical early finish after that.

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Great first day for me too. Highlights were English Teacher (with Big Jeff in the audience) and Yard Act. Just about to leave for day 2!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here