Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Great Albion Midfield Rebuild - Summer ‘24 edition

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I like Billy Gilmour and have always wanted him to do well for us, but I question how much end product there has been. We've never really seen anything approaching the sort of performance he gave for Scotland against England at Wembley. That said, the reported offer from Napoli of only £8m is a derisory one for a 23-year-old with so much PL and European experience. No wonder we turned it down. £10m plus a sell-on might be a reasonable starting point ...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I like Billy Gilmour and have always wanted him to do well for us, but I question how much end product there has been. We've never really seen anything approaching the sort of performance he gave for Scotland against England at Wembley. That said, the reported offer from Napoli of only £8m is a derisory one for a 23-year-old with so much PL and European experience. No wonder we turned it down. £10m plus a sell-on might be a reasonable starting point ...
Personally I think that's a low price. Gilmour is very creative, I think it was @Han Solo who quoted the fact that when he was out last winter we scored only once in 7 or was it 8 games? If he could get over his lack of goals he'd be incredible. I am a fan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Part of me really does think there was a degree of complacency which set in last summer after the success of 22/23 and the fact we had been so lucky with key players remaining injury free. That’s what ultimately hurt us and it’s clear there’s been a mindset change as the OP outlines.
Not sure it was complacency. We had Dahoud, Gilmour, Milner and Baleba in that area…a mix of experience and youth. I agree this quartet is not of the level of Caceido and Mac but there was no way we would be able to replace them with the same quality.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
If both Gross and Billy go then I will be concerned and feel we are taking a gamble if we don’t sign another experienced midfielder. With those 2 gone I only consider Wieffer to have the experience and know-how in that central midfield area. Baleba & Hinsh obviously have great talent but are still very much learning. God knows what’s going on with Dahoud and Moder as I don’t think either has made the Japan trip. If we sign Gomez then it looks like he won’t join us until the winter. Then we have Yalcouye, Ayari and Moran who are unproven at the moment. Personally I feel we will be making a big mistake if we allow Billy to leave whereas I can understand more if Gross goes.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If both Gross and Billy go then I will be concerned and feel we are taking a gamble if we don’t sign another experienced midfielder. With those 2 gone I only consider Wieffer to have the experience and know-how in that central midfield area. Baleba & Hinsh obviously have great talent but are still very much learning. God knows what’s going on with Dahoud and Moder as I don’t think either has made the Japan trip. If we sign Gomez then it looks like he won’t join us until the winter. Then we have Yalcouye, Ayari and Moran who are unproven at the moment. Personally I feel we will be making a big mistake if we allow Billy to leave whereas I can understand more if Gross goes.
I think Gomez might be coming sooner than winter now. Inter Miami’s manager is certainly implying that he’ll be off very soon.

I think you are right about us keeping at least one experienced midfielder but for me, that player is Groß. I wondering if FH could get a similar tune out of Milner in the middle.

boik

Mac, Gross and Caicedo were Albion perfection. Last season inevitably, ‘the engine room’ was so lacking defensively. Baleba the ray of light, whilst Hinshelwood looks the real deal. But a soft centre for opposition managers setting up with three powerhouses.

It’s interesting that the club are getting to grips with this so swiftly, in the one window. Potentially exciting times ahead.
Surely Mac, Caiceido and Bissouma were perfection? Didn't we win 5 and draw 1 of the 6 times they played together? Might be mis-remembering.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's right we're adding muscle and pace to the midfield. There were some games last year where wily opposing midfields knew they could brush us off the ball with Pascal, Hinsh, Billy, Tariq, Facu meaning we had a team very high on technical quality, but sometimes had an air of Wilkins and Codner about it.

Don't like to say it, but in this league, you can't win a game without matching them in the tackle and in the air.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Gomez - isn't confirmed but looks in the works - but certainly won't be joining until January
Gross - again - its been a while now and still no confimation that he's leaving. Looks like nobody has made an acceptable offer and we want him to stay. I'd say staying is now favourite.
Gilmour - some reporting from Alex Crook etc saying "we're open to him leaving" but certainly nothing agreed yet. He's in Japan and can't imagine he's going anywhere until we're certain of replacements in that area/get north of 10 or 12m
Wieffer - looks an impressive signing.
Dahoud - hasn't even made it to Japan (he was at Lancing last week) so unless injured not sure how he fits (ever) into our plans.
Baleba - was looking stronger as the season went on.
Dalcouye - can't imagine we're relying on him in 24/25 at least.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Hard to predict what we need until we see the way Fab sets up, he may have Barco in the hole spraying ball out to the wingers.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Surely Mac, Caiceido and Bissouma were perfection? Didn't we win 5 and draw 1 of the 6 times they played together? Might be mis-remembering.
They were, kind of. But others can be as well... we have a lot of talent now.
Six months before they were "perfection" though, Bissouma was "downing his tools" because he couldn't get a move to Aston Villa, Alexis was to be "cashed in on" because he was "anonymous and not scoring or assisting" (this was before the Everton game where the real Alexis came online), Caicedo was a questioned player on loan in what I believe was the worst team in the history of the Belgian league.

Things can change rapidly. Sometimes its a case of building your body and knowledge, sometimes its like an on/off button in the brain where some change in mindset makes the player take a leap.

Carlos Baleba and Billy Gilmour has had a rough time so far, hearing on a weekly basis from both fans and their own manager that their presence in the team is the reason for our struggles. Not really a working environment where confidence and creativity blossoms. I expect some big leaps from players this season.

Billy can become as good as Mac Allister, he has all the technical and most of the tactical skills needed, and mainly needs to get more belief in himself. Comparing Baleba to Caicedo is unfair (because Caicedo has the potential to be the GOAT DMC of all time in the history of the game) but Carlos also has a lot of what is needed to become a world class footballer.

And then slightly further down the line there's Hinshelwood, Yalcouye etc. Overall I say we have a team with more raw potential than at any previous time.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Personally I think that's a low price. Gilmour is very creative, I think it was @Han Solo who quoted the fact that when he was out last winter we scored only once in 7 or was it 8 games? If he could get over his lack of goals he'd be incredible. I am a fan.
Agreed. Even if it is decided that he is no longer a fit for us he most certainly would be elsewhere and I'd have thought the fee should be north of £20m.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Seen a few people mention Gomez will link up with us straight after Olympics rather than in Jan. Would make sense if WBG/Gross end up leaving

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I really can't see us releasing Gilmour for the sort of money Napoli are talking about; an opening bid of £8 million? Not even double that would be worth our while taking as Gilmour must be poised for his peak Albion season.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Alex Crook and PBOBE on TS this morning - hopefully a few bits of information will be dropped - news on WBG for example perhaps?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here