Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Grand National Thread

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whats the early tips and fancies. Whilst the real fans will be treking to MK Dons to see us play Shit House football I will be watching 40 horses in the greatest show on Earth with my mates ( not virtual ones ) and drinking a few cold Black ones.

I fancy

Big Fella Thanks 14/1
Butler's Cabin 12/1
Snowy Morning 25/1

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Black Apalachi, thank you for not tipping him US. :thumbsup:

Trigger, you da man :thumbsup:

Spoke to hughes earlier in the week and it's as fit as it's ever been, worked well and has a HUGE chance.

I won't be lumping on as it's the national, but will have a decent wager.

gong

Oct 13, 2003
T/Wells
War of attrition 16/1
Darkness 33/1
Cloudy Lane 33/1.

EW or anyway you want.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Can't have anything carrying more than 11st 1lb or so personally, especially now the weights have gone up. Just can't believe that anything with that sort of weight won't find at least one with 10st 4lb or 10st 5lb to beat it. It's a boring and much-quoted stat, but Hedgehunter is the only horse to win with more than 11st in the last 27 years, and he had 11st 1lb. They go hard in the race from the start these days, and lugging a big weight to victory around two circuits is very difficult.

Think I'll be taking Rambling Minster and Kilbeggan Blade at this stage, and will have an each-way go at Fleet Street if it runs as I know someone with a share.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
war of attrition - kauto made history this year, and i fancy a little bit more to be made

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
My Anti post plunge on Kings Johns Castle has already come unstuck and its doesn't look much brighter on Snowy Morning after the weights were published (especially now Unc has included it) but nevermind.

Strong pluses

Rambling Minster (age, Weight, form, goes on all ground inc soft - Possible favourite come race day)
Southern Vic (Ted Walsh trained, laid out for race, proven form over 3 miles, similar profile to Papillion)
Darkness (would need good ground, anything soft forget it)

EW chances

Comply or die - Surely something will come out of the lower handicapped horses and win but Trainer laid out for this race again and was confident on ATR the other day.
State of Play - Probably will find one too good but c&d look like made for it
Black Appachi - lump on if it comes up soft.

Strong negatives (of fancied runners)

Big Fella Thanks & Can't buy time (age, too young)
Irish Invader (no form over 2m 2).
War of Attrition (weight)

For anyone intersted no Frence bred horse has won for 100 years and in recent years have been making up to 25% of the field. Negatives especially for My Will (as well as hard cheltenham race) and Butlers cabin more so when considering low price.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Also, I'm more interested in the Aintree hurdle before the national. Al Eile has won this race for 3 of the last 4 years and looks booked for it again. I've had the fortune to run into the owners in Liverpool on the Friday night for the past 2 years who have told us in no uncertain terms how this is the race they have been planning to win all year and to lump on (Won 12-1 and 11-4). No prices yet and wont be until 24 hours before race unfortunately but does look made for it again.

Hopefully run into them again! You can stick Milton Keynes away thats for sure on the same day.

Jan 3, 2008
I'll be heading down to Aintree next weekend (its a great trip if you havent done it before) & I reckon there are two stand out horses - Rambling Minster & Killbegan Blade - both should run very big races. I hope to come away with a smile on my face next Sat, which will the first decent result i've experienced for a long time. The lads need to get their act together quickly!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The owner of My Will (also the owner of Big Bucks World Hurdle winner) drinks in The Station and has been suggesting him since he was a 33/1 shot. If he should win, they will be delivering cash by the barrow load to the regulars down there :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If Butler's Cabin avoids trouble and jumps it wins. Ita lottery though with 40 horses. Butler's Cabin is the best horse here and a place is assured but will win if the luck goes his way.

12/1 at Ladbrokes is very decent as I expect him to be 7/1 favourite by Saturday.

D

Deleted User X18H

Puntal for a place thought unlikely to make the weights this year!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here