Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Grand Hotel

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Bit like going for tea at the Ritz - it ticks another box. But after you’ve paid the exorbitant bill you wonder what all the fuss was about.

I had stayed at the Grand a couple of times before. The last time was the Fat Boy Slim do. So has been a few years. The price was worth it before but not now. Shame

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Why would you pay for that overpriced dump when Brighton has loads of great hotels, with seaviews, if thats your thing...:shrug:

The Mrs likes the seaviews being a Cov kid and all that. We have tried a few others with seaviews. They are all a bit crap but I suppose they are a bit cheaper

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The Mrs likes the seaviews being a Cov kid and all that. We have tried a few others with seaviews. They are all a bit crap but I suppose they are a bit cheaper

I remember there being a good view from the Ramada hotel near the Bandstand when I was in their conference room in the top floor. My attention kept drifting in the meeting and I kept just looking out to sea instead!

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I remember there being a good view from the Ramada hotel near the Bandstand when I was in their conference room in the top floor. My attention kept drifting in the meeting and I kept just looking out to sea instead!

I will check that one out in future. I wonder what the rooms are like?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I will check that one out in future. I wonder what the rooms are like?

It seemed fairly well kept as a general building when I was in there for the meeting, which was four years back.

It struck me as a place that was pleasant without being ostentatious. Plus it's right by Uncle Sams so I was able to pop off for a quick burger once the meeting finished :thumbsup:.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree. Nice wide open public space, as is the pedestrianised area in New Road by the Theatre Royal. Reckon that's the way forward and what with the creeping squeezing out of the private car in favour of widening the pavements being snuck in by the council, then reckon won't be too long before we have a fully pedestrianised town centre to be proud of.

And yes dougdeep, I do appreciate that will pose problems for delivery drivers. But I don't care. :p

Dont back on it with pro-car Mears in charge.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Brighton HAS changed since I last lived there, the main thing being the people. I think there are alot less born and bred Brightonians in Brighton than there ever used to be.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thats a fair point but i have come down quite often in the years I have been away. It just seems a bit shabby now. I am not often critical of places when I come way from Coventry for obvious reasons
Blimey if you think Brighton's a bit shabby now you should have seen it back in the 1980s when in was little more than a decaying slum. The only bit really showing its age is the Brighton Centre / Top Rank complex. For the rest, especially places like the seafront broadwalk, the station, the marina, Churchill Square, New Road, the library, the pedestrianised areas - they've all improved immeasurably over the last 20 years. Even the pier's not THAT bad.

It IS a bit crowded mind this weekend, and crowds bring litter which obviously doesn't enhance the place. And chewing gum should be banned.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pro-car? Are you having a laugh? Brighton Council are a lot of things but they are NOT 'pro-car'.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the council qualify for substantial grants from the EEC for taking measures to cut the number of pedestrian traffic deaths in town and that their policy is to switch the balance from giving priority to the car to at least giving pedestrians equal priority. Quite right too, its the way forward and will make the town a much more pleasant environment to mooch around in.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Pretty sure I read somewhere that the council qualify for substantial grants from the EEC for taking measures to cut the number of pedestrian traffic deaths in town and that their policy is to switch the balance from giving priority to the car to at least giving pedestrians equal priority. Quite right too, its the way forward and will make the town a much more pleasant environment to mooch around in.
Oh in the town centre I 100% agree. It's just that the current strategy seems to be anti-car (narrowing the roads, providing more bus lanes and restricting parking) and nothing else (high bus and taxi fares, no Park and Ride, etc). I read somewhere that the number of bus journeys in Brighton has increased - and so has air pollution. Hopefully it will have penetratred even the thickest skull that the current wishful-thinking policy of "Lets make driving and parking in Brighton more difficult and hope that people use the expensive, private diesel-powered buses instead" really isn't working.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh in the town centre I 100% agree. It's just that the current strategy seems to be anti-car (narrowing the roads, providing more bus lanes and restricting parking) and nothing else (high bus and taxi fares, no Park and Ride, etc). I read somewhere that the number of bus journeys in Brighton has increased - and so has air pollution. Hopefully it will have penetratred even the thickest skull that the current wishful-thinking policy of "Lets make driving and parking in Brighton more difficult and hope that people use the expensive, private diesel-powered buses instead" really isn't working.

Reckon the diesel-powered buses problem is a short term one. Shouldn't be beyond the wit and wisdom of the council to devise ways of forcing the bus company to invest in more environmentally-friendly fuel consumption. And the bus company seems pretty much on the ball and would probably go down that route voluntarily, seems to me.

As for making 'driving and parking in Brighton more difficult', well the town's just not designed for the volumes of trafffic. Never has been. Agree a proper Park and Ride scheme is long overdue, but IMHO the council are nudging things in the right direction. Probably having been given encouragement by local residents filling in the occasional transport surveys that drop through the letterbox. The feedback to the surveys undoubtedly gives the council the mandate to push foward plans for further pedestrianisation. Hoorah!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon the diesel-powered buses problem is a short term one. Shouldn't be beyond the wit and wisdom of the council to devise ways of forcing the bus company to invest in more environmentally-friendly fuel consumption. And the bus company seems pretty much on the ball and would probably go down that route voluntarily, seems to me.

As for making 'driving and parking in Brighton more difficult', well the town's just not designed for the volumes of trafffic. Never has been. Agree a proper Park and Ride scheme is long overdue, but IMHO the council are nudging things in the right direction. Probably having been given encouragement by local residents filling in the occasional transport surveys that drop through the letterbox. The feedback to the surveys undoubtedly gives the council the mandate to push foward plans for further pedestrianisation. Hoorah!
Oooh I'd love to get a survey, I'd love to tell the useless bastards what I thought of them. I agree that Brighton (like a lot of British cities) wasn't designed for cars, but one of the problems is people circulating the deliberately-narrowed streets looking for somewhere to park. Why do they do it? Because they know there IS parking and if they search hard enough they'll find a space. Simply making it hard doesn't stop people doing it any more than explaining the odds on the National Lottery stops people buying tickets. And, speaking from experience, if you've got a family of four it's cheaper to drive and take your chance than it is to go on the bus. 'Nudging in the right direction' is a typical fudge: they should either provide adequate in-city car parks and make them easy to get to (as opposed to Park and Ride) or remove ALL the car parks and on-street parking and ban cars completely from the city centre. I'll support either policy, but the current gutless fudge falls between two stools.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
The Grand has always been shit. Not sure why people would waste their money on it, when there are much nicer hotels to be had.
your not wrong,i left london working for one of the best chefs in the world at the time,for promotion to the grand,just after the bombing,worse decision of my life,shocking and the way they treated their staff was a joke.Saying that,i now supply thm bread and rolls,so i know they have quality now lol

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
your not wrong,i left london working for one of the best chefs in the world at the time,for promotion to the grand,just after the bombing,worse decision of my life,shocking and the way they treated their staff was a joke.Saying that,i now supply thm bread and rolls,so i know they have quality now lol

I didn't know many of the chefs, but I worked there in room service shortly after it re-opened. October-ish 1986 I started. Think the Head Chef back then was Ivan somebody?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here