Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Grand Hotel Is ON FIRE!!! [Merged]

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Who's near?! Photos!!!! Come on people!!

Not me. I'm snuggled up in front of the fire, watching a repeat of Have I Got News For You, before strolling over to the pub for a cosy pint. Firefighting on chilling Saturday night in February...? No thanks :nono:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Just driven down the road at the back of the Grand. One single fire engine and the road is soaked. Many more fire engines and police at the front of the building but no smoke and no flames can be seen from outside.

Traffic chaos, goes without saying.

Talking to an East Sussex firefighter the other week, I was told that they are now being discouraged from entering blazing buildings, if they know that lives aren't at risk. What they now do is soak them from outside. He wasn't at all sure that the equipment had the capability of sustaining the drenching for as long as it might take to put a major blaze out.

I would assume that a place like the Grand Hotel has a half-way decent sprinkler system.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Are they contravening a hosepipe ban? I can't remember it being officially lifted. Incidentally, did we have a hosepipe ban enforced a few days before the Luton game a while ago? I distinctly remember 'Hosepipe ban. You're havin' a laugh' ringing out from the South Stand :D

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I had a feeling they were forced to resort to buckets of grey water. :jester:

Anyway, the fire is out and conflicting reports state it started in the basement, 6th floor and/or the top floor.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
There's a photo on the BBC website showing smoke billowing from what looks like the roof but they seem to be saying the fire was in a 6th floor room. Quite funny too some of the comments below the article such as Will who's worried about his flat nearby as it's such a massive fire and Ian who's worried about his friend's husband who's staying at a hotel nearby.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Nobody hurt, that's the main thing.

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend
I popped down with a mate on the way to the pub shortly after 9 - no smoke and two of the fire engines had already left. Obligatory shit photo is attached...

DSC_00041.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here