Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Goldstone. What a f***ing shit hole that place was

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The West Stand was fine. I had a glorious view, unobstructed, had an aisle seat with a ledge in front so I had somewhere to put me drink.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Safeway said:
It was though, weren't it. If Withers had a roof it would be FAR better.

But it was -OUR- shithole. Not belonging to Brighton and Hove Unitary Authority or whatever they're called now.

Tigers shirt

Jul 31, 2005
Burwash
Safeway said:
It was though, weren't it. If Withers had a roof it would be FAR better.

I have a feeling you never went to The Goldstone in the the late 70's or 80's. I'm an old git (35) sorry but the Goldstone 'rocked' when it was full, a proper football ground. Withdean is a school sports stadium for kids.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Or the mental surging in the north stand.The mini pitch invasions when we scored.I know what i would rather have any day

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Agree there Rogue. I never went sadly, did not get into the Albion until my early teens, blame it on Archer and Bellotti and my bizarre Crawley/ Burgess Hill upbringing. I always feel sorry for the old Goldstoners, and respect them. I wish I went to the ground, I have walked past the old site twice the last few years, and feel spirits of sadness there, I could sense whispers of deceased regulars telling me, to close my eyes as I walked past, and could picture the old Goldstone in my mind, some voices were telling me to stay away from the site. I was close to tears as I could just sense sadness as I walked past.

Last edited:

Strike said:
Agree there Rogue. I never went sadly, did not get into the Albion until my early teens, blame it on Archer and Bellotti and my bizarre Crawley/ Burgess Hill upbringing. I always feel sorry for the old Goldstoners, and respect them. I wish I went to the ground, I have walked past the old site twice the last few years, and feel spirits of sadness there, I could sense whispers of deceased regulars telling me, to close my eyes as I walked past, and could picture the old Goldstone in my mind, some voices were telling me to stay away from the site. I was close to tears as I could just sense sadness as I walked past.

Respect.
It was home to glory, thrills and history. Any worn seats or chipped cement were the grain of years of football.
Shiny little plastic seats on top of scaffolding better than that? Your having a laugh. ??? :nono:

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
You do talk some bollocks sometimes Steve.
As said before, it was our shit hole and even a rain soaked Tuesday night on the chicken run had a certain feeling of belonging.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Wind them up and see them go.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
It was an average-to-good ground for the time with a 35000 capacity, before it was allowed to fall into disrepair. :censored:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Back when we had our brief dalliance with top flight football the Goldstone was really inadequet. The fact that the Old Shoreham Road was right behind the North Stand and the East Terrace tapered off to prevent obcuring the light from the houses behind meant that the Goldstone wasn't suitable in this day and age and expeansion just wasn't an option.

However, I doubt that many people would trade it for Withdean in a heartbeat. Given the amount of money that's been spent on the planning application for Falmer as well it would have done for now though.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
bhaexpress said:
Back when we had our brief dalliance with top flight football the Goldstone was really inadequet. The fact that the Old Shoreham Road was right behind the North Stand and the East Terrace tapered off to prevent obcuring the light from the houses behind meant that the Goldstone wasn't suitable in this day and age and expeansion just wasn't an option.

Inadequate, yes, and it had a 35000 capacity. Falmer will be similarly inadequate with a 22500 capacity! :nono:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
3gulls said:
Inadequate, yes, and it had a 35000 capacity. Falmer will be similarly inadequate with a 22500 capacity! :nono:

Doubt that the 35,000 capacity would be anything like the same if it was seated. As all stadiums are now supposed to be I reckon the Goldtone would have held a lot less than Falmer.

What's more if the neccesity rose Falmer can be expended and as I said earlier, that really wasn't viable at the Goldstone.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
bhaexpress said:
Doubt that the 35,000 capacity would be anything like the same if it was seated. As all stadiums are now supposed to be I reckon the Goldtone would have held a lot less than Falmer.

What's more if the neccesity rose Falmer can be expended and as I said earlier, that really wasn't viable at the Goldstone.

No, expansion was not possible at the Goldstone. That is why Bamber was looking to build a bigger ground somewhere else. I hear that it MAY be possible to expand Falmer to 28000 by filling in the corners. But, that would require another planning application. So, we can forget that then! :nono:

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
FRANK?

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here