Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Goldstone goal posts

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I have part of the net of one of the goals. A lady was cutting bits off with a pair of scissors in Old Shoreham Road. My bit of net doesn't have any blue on just the white part. Will I need to return this when Falmer opens?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
really? when I saw them close up I remember them being shaped liked a squashed circle (if cut in half) meaning the ball had more deflection into the goal or something, also a tinny sound when I tapped on them.....thats not wood!

Elliptical is the word you are looking for and yes they were.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Elliptical is the word you are looking for and yes they were.

They also had a spare crossbar located next to the disabled area in the south west corner. The ends had sand bags on them to keep it straight. They goals were certainly not wood but aluminium coated in plastic.

Wooden goals ceased to be when they changed to round from square. Round crossbars made of wood do not retain any strength over 24 feet and sag. The only square wooden posts that remained in a major ground until recently were at Hampden Park Scotland.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Definitely metal. Of course, they'd have been wooden at the Goldstone in the past, but certainly not in the final seasons.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
anyone got a better picture than this? as I've seen one from the North Stand and it will prove they were metal in the closing days of the Goldstone as wood does'nt bend it SNAPS!

goldstone.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
anyone got a better picture than this? as I've seen one from the North Stand and it will prove they were metal in the closing days of the Goldstone as wood does'nt bend it SNAPS!

goldstone.jpg

but it did snap and there were great splinters coming out of the ends! It may be that the uprights were metal, but the cross bar was wooden. The reason I'm so sure is I remember discussing it with my Dad at the time, being surprised that it was wooden.

Think I will have to wear that at the first game at the Amex BTW.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
metal posts with wooden bar sounds odd! suppose it could've been though if they predicted the pitch invasion, thanks.

this is the goldstone my fatballboy

Those are two very poignant/sad pictures, the little lad in the one taken by the old shop fascia looks as though he is crying (aaaah). Which one are you dad, lad or photographer??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here