Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Giant Crane over at Falmer.

There are quite a few 'gappy bits' between the leaves and branches on trees. I seem to remember a fair few of those blowing over in '87!

I've always wondered how gales can blow over objects as firmly rooted as trees are, whereas wide roadsigns needing two posts don't even get bent. Wasn't the loss of so many trees attributed to the fact they were still in leaf? Hmmm, the 1987 hurricane wasn't strong enough to blow the leaves off the trees then.....

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I've always wondered how gales can blow over objects as firmly rooted as trees are, whereas wide roadsigns needing two posts don't even get bent. Wasn't the loss of so many trees attributed to the fact they were still in leaf? Hmmm, the 1987 hurricane wasn't strong enough to blow the leaves off the trees then.....

I seem to remember it was a combination of wet ground, lots of leaves left on the trees and a little bit of wind. I guess the stalk is strong enough to hold an individual leaf against the wind, but the combined effect on several hundred thousand leaves is enough to uproot a tree in wet soil...

:shrug:

Could any arboricultural meteorologists out there shed any light?! :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here