Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Gehry Towers, Let's make it happen!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think he left the design in his back pocket when his trousers went in the wash.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
What a pile of crap. How can families live and grow in such a place? Without families it will just be full of transients and that will be great for the community.

People need gardens, space, light and some separation from each other. Unless they cost £400 000/unit they will just become another slum.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The Gehry Towers has the potential to benefit Brighton & Hove in the same way as the Guggenheim benefitted Bilbao - iconic buildings for iconic cities!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
chip said:
What a pile of crap. How can families live and grow in such a place? Without families it will just be full of transients and that will be great for the community.

People need gardens, space, light and some separation from each other. Unless they cost £400 000/unit they will just become another slum.

Remember that Brighton and Hove is a city. This is city living. There will be houses, I believe 10 will even be equipped for people with disabilities. I'm not sure about gardens but there will be space, plenty of light and seperation. At least as much as the rest of central Brighton and Hove, if not more. There are numerous other tower blocks in central Hove, none of these can be described as slums.

Families live and grow in similar environments all across Europe. I'm sure we will cope. If you want large rolling gardens, acres of space and seperation living in a city probably isn't the best idea. Maybe try the countryside?

Further, central Brighton and Hove has a rich history of 'transients,' the city is full of transients and the city has grown, evolved and blossomed due to such people. Further, the city's main income is mainly based on transience through the various service trades we provide. Brighton and Hove is a transient city whether you like it or not.

Oct 25, 2003
surrey jim said:
Was the architect pissed??

kingsway.jpg

it won't be that big, the tower is a fair distance from those flats

i think it looks kool:smokin:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How will they clean the outsides?

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Tubthumper said:
Remember that Brighton and Hove is a city. This is city living. There will be houses, I believe 10 will even be equipped for people with disabilities. I'm not sure about gardens but there will be space, plenty of light and seperation. At least as much as the rest of central Brighton and Hove, if not more. There are numerous other tower blocks in central Hove, none of these can be described as slums.

Families live and grow in similar environments all across Europe. I'm sure we will cope. If you want large rolling gardens, acres of space and seperation living in a city probably isn't the best idea. Maybe try the countryside?

Further, central Brighton and Hove has a rich history of 'transients,' the city is full of transients and the city has grown, evolved and blossomed due to such people. Further, the city's main income is mainly based on transience through the various service trades we provide. Brighton and Hove is a transient city whether you like it or not.

Ever been to Peckham?

Tubthumper said:
Remember that Brighton and Hove is a city. This is city living. There will be houses, I believe 10 will even be equipped for people with disabilities.
These days, EVERY new house should be equipped for people with disabilities.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
look, put it this way. If a planning application was put forward today for the Pavillion, there would be howls of protest "its gashtly, whats the point of it", "it doesnt fit with the victorian terraces" (there wouldnt be any georgian ones...). The Pavillion set Brighton apart from all the other armpit coast "resorts" along the south.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Looks more like a Ford Transient to me.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
chip said:

So I guess everyone that lives in blocks all accross the british coast are considered to be slumming it then? Get real you lot are as bad as the f***ing nimby's stopping us having our stadium!
How many of the people protesting against it will be able to see it from their houses that they will probably occupy for about a maximum of 10 years before they realise that they can actually afford a proper house if they move away from all the shitty wine bars and restaurants!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The towers will be class. Another iconic building for the city to go with the Pavilion, the Pier, and Falmer.

Stop being Nimby's and move with the times. If nothing else you'll piss off Selma Montford from the Regency Society [if indeed that was the old hag's name].

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Referee!!! said:
maffew = NIMBY

:lolol: I guess so. Though moving from Hove anyway so wont affect me. Some of his stuff is quite cool though I dont think the seafront is the place for buildings that tall whether they look good or not. Though the King Alfred area definately needs ripping down and re-doing. Also I cant see it being affordable housing for anyone other than people who commute to London

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I see the proposed tower block at the Marina has been refered back to John Prescott for approval. At least that one is pleasing to the eye.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
what a bunch of f***ing luddite nimbys some of you are.

Reckon it would look fantastic.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
They'd look great, they'd be hugely popular to live in and they'd be yet another thing which sets Brighton and Hove apart from the relative drabness of the rest of the UK. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt they'll get permission, for that same reason though. :(

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i've made this point on here before, it's one which doesn't seem to have been picked up by either camp, the arguments being either that the towers "look crap" or that they are "fantastic", but what about parking?

I live about 500 metres from the proposed location and think they look wonderful. a true addition to our city.

BUT building something like 1200 flats with only enoughparking for 600 cars is not acceptable. the developers should be obliged to put adequate parking into their plans and only then will i support them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here