Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The future of VAR in England

The future of VAR...?

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Alternatively, over 75% don't want it to carry on.

I’m one of the 17% “Pause it - take a season out to train the industry to use it properly”. With the keep its, that’s now 43% who want it to continue in the medium term.

You never would have thought that from NSC VAR threads. [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] usually the lone pro VAR voice, in a sea of anti VAR rage.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m one of the 17% “Pause it - take a season out to train the industry to use it properly”. With the keep its, that’s now 43% who want it to continue in the medium term.

You never would have thought that from NSC VAR threads. [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] usually the lone pro VAR voice, in a sea of anti VAR rage.

It’s not all rage. Plenty of resigned shaking of heads and wandering out loud about giving up season tickets. I’m not at that stage as yet but the attractions of lower or non league football without VAR are tempting.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Keep it, it needs some ironing out.
Also voted for other - The rules need to be re-written for football as it's being played today;
a few that I can think of but there will be many, many others
1. How long can they go back to review a goal? (The penalty against United we could've gone back to check the infringement 5 seconds before.)
2. Checking for offsides needs to be clearer - no one really knows now what is offside
3. Penalties and player infringements - In the Real Madrid game (not in the Prem but still relevant) Valencia missed the penalty and subsequent rebound but the Valencia player that was in the area when the spot kick was taken (and he was the only one) scored the rebound after that they penalty had to be retaken. In my opinion, that should be a free kick on the edge of the area.

Basically what I said but with fewer words :wink:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Keep it FOR CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERRORS ONLY - as was the idea in the first ****ing place. i.e. stuff like the Henry handball vs Ireland.

Anything that isn't clear and obvious can stay with the ref's onfield decision.

So, appoint NON REFEREES to the system - not for them to make the decisions, but to decide which decisions the VAR can intervene on. As lay observers, let them decide which incidents are to be reviewed, ie which ones are clear and obvious HOWLERS, not micro-fractional offside decisions and other crap that VARs are involving themselves with at present..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If the people deciding actions were better or left any subjective decisions. I am happy with toenails being offside... it's accurate ! I'm happy with the general concept.

the camera angles arent positioned suitably nor lines fine enough to be that accurate. look at the Bamford case, there's the far defender who's certainly playing him onside.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Bin it. It's taken over now and that wasn't the point. Also run by incompetent cretins, i.e. refs.
I would rather be run by cretins on the pitch than cretins off it.

I agree. It's almost as if the match officials are now the Stars (or the Villains) of the show.

"And this week we have Martin Atkinson, Paul Tierney and Gary Beswick on the pitch, backed up by Sian Massey-Ellis and Anthony Taylor in the studio at Stockley Park, AND this weeks unwitting victims of today's theatre of controversy are 'Brighton & Hove Albion and Aston Villa' in the side roles. Who will the terrible trio rob this week? Stay tuned to find out....."

The officials have become the Dastardly and Muttley of every weekend.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Goal line technology was good. VAR no matter how you see it is biased towards the bigger teams. It needs neutral observers to oversee it. Anything that takes more than 30 sec should stick with the original decision

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This with bells on. All VAR is doing in this country at the minute is alienating fans, entirely predictable that the English FA would bring in something meant to reduce controversy and only make things worse.

I know people disagree but i hate not being able to celebrate a goal to the degree I used too, from our first game last season when Burn had his goal chalked off I lost that spontaneity of celebration which was sad. It does work both ways but nothing beats the joy of the ball hitting the back of the net and the crowd going mental. Now we have to worry about someone’s armpit being offside.

I agree with all of that, but I think it even worse than you say because on those rare occasions when the ref or linesman ruled out a goal they immediately became either the butt of abuse or - in the case of a decision in our favour - some sort of saviour.

In both scenarios they are cast as hero or villain which - again - added to the whole drama of the piece. We can all name refs that have shafted the Albion, i.e. Prosser, Kelvin Morton, Ron Challis, Mike Dean, and we usually got an opportunity to give them abuse back at a later date, again something to look forward to and talk about.

Now there is no catharsis as the ultimate arbiter is the faceless VAR. No sense of theatre - what we had was either unbridled joy or unfettered rage, now it's a case of dread, followed by either relief or incredulity.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Goal line technology was good. VAR no matter how you see it is biased towards the bigger teams. It needs neutral observers to oversee it. Anything that takes more than 30 sec should stick with the original decision

Yes, neutral observers who aren't referees. Neutral observers who decide which decisions the VAR should be allowed to consider.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Bin it. I hate it with a passion. Footie was and always will be fine without this rubbish.

Waste of money. It was said that mistakes would even out over the season. That was always the case.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Goal line technology in. VAR out. As a spectator having to wait to celebrate, or not, a goal goes against everything that being a spectator is all about. Whoever thought that slomo or frame by frame analysis would help come to the right decision on an incident in a fast-paced contact sport was mistaken.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Get rid ASAP. Although it’s not that I prefer human error as such - the implementation of VAR is as prone to error, if not more so, as referees were before it was introduced.

What I do prefer, however, is a human game played and refereed by humans, with decisions made on the field as they have been for 150 years.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Bin it.

Instant decisions by the referee and linespeople on the pitch, and if he or she gets something wrong, "tough shit that's life move on".

Unless they have been bunged a couple of quid....

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I like the way Rugby use it. The ref asks a question when he wants clarity otherwise he makes the decisions as he sees them. More importantly I'd like to see the premier league issuing bans after a game for certain actions which haven't been punished accordingly by the matchday ref

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
the camera angles arent positioned suitably nor lines fine enough to be that accurate. look at the Bamford case, there's the far defender who's certainly playing him onside.

or use those packs on their backs, electrical and immediate, the technology must be there, as someone who has run the line it is a very difficult job to get correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here