Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Funding Behind Team GB's 2008 Olympic Medal Haul

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
.....this is the typical British face value financial look at things....popularised by Thatcher. At face value it probably isnt worth it but one has to look beyond this.

I have always felt participation in sport is an incredibly positive thing. It can inspire, it is healthy and it can build a raft of interpersonal skills whilst also providing focus and post-school activity and integration for kids. There is a something for everyone.

I hope that this inspires the country to stop moaning about the money it costs, and get some facilities built. Berlin has 18 Olympic sized pools......London which is bigger only has 2 I believe. We are a nation of lard-arses and it is easy to see why.

It's smashing value IMO. I'm surprised you could even consider it debatable.

Just one thing: Where the f*** is the funding for HANDBALL and BEACH VOLLEYBALL. I want a team in those events. :angry:

We will have for 2012, don't worry. Apparently they have been going round schools looking for tall/athletic people and saying 'do you want to spend 4 years playing handball?'. You couldn't make it up.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This isn't just inspiring kids... I am going to buy a sprint bike and turn up in London in 4 years time. I am guarunteed a medal by virtual of being British!

(clearly all of those cycling lanes are starting to work!)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We will have for 2012, don't worry. Apparently they have been going round schools looking for tall/athletic people and saying 'do you want to spend 4 years playing handball?'. You couldn't make it up.
Yeah I remember seeing a BBC breakfast feature on that about a year ago. And it looks like a TOP game to be honest. Fast and exciting - check it out on youtube, absolutely qualla.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
It is worth it in the sense that not only does it help to encouge children to take up sport, it also helps build the national pride. I do not recall ever at the Olympics having a day billed as Super Saturday. I for one came to work yesterday feeling a little better about life due to the fact that we had had such a good weekend.

Like others have said compared to what we spend on defence and war it is nothing. I for one am looking forward to 2012 because due to the success of these games, more people will be trying out sports and taking them up. I think the next 4-8 years are going to be very good for British sport.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's double Newcastle's wage bill for a year. Would you rather it go on our gold medal stars or Joey Barton?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's double Newcastle's wage bill for a year. Would you rather it go on our gold medal stars or Joey Barton?
It is amazing isn't it - when you think the amount of money the English Premiership "stars" earn and compare it to these proper athletes who all undertake their sports for a pittance but also for the glory and love of their sports.

I mean Joey Barton FFS. At times like these, I'm totally embarrassed for the twunt.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
An entirely perfect way of summing it up.

I wonder which most people would remember for longer? These extraordinary mornings of - importantly, dignified - brilliance? Or Joey Barton and co kicking, snarling and cheating their way into the Uefa cup in between jail sentences?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The point is, presumably, that some of Europe's fattest nation (myself included, I hasten to add) might be encouraged by all this coverage and success on the telly to try and have a go at some of these sports.

:thumbsup: Thinking about a bike for the first time in over a year this weekend.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the positivity resulting from our medal haul would be cheap at 5 times the price.

For the last 2 years the Sports Personality of the Year has been a joke, and the best "role models" we can produce are the likes of Beckham, Rooney, Terry and Flintoff. Now, finally, there is glut of athletes who do deserve every minute of airtime they get.

I am totally inspired by Cycling Team GB. They've shown how to achieve sporting excellence and their team ethic is superb. These Olympics have shown just how far away the England football side is of achieving ANYTHING.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I am totally inspired by Cycling Team GB. They've shown how to achieve sporting excellence and their team ethic is superb. These Olympics have shown just how far away the England football side is of achieving ANYTHING.

I am the same, it is nice to see some new sports stars that dont earn much money, and get to the pinnacle of the sport through sheer effort, determination, will power and honesty. You dont see them hogging the front and back pages, and I doubt any of us know the names of their wives and kids, or what £5000 hand bag their girlfriend just purchased in Milan.

I was wondering if these sports stars would have performed to such high standards if they earned the money of a premiership footballer. I think they would take their foot off the gas a bit.

I think we would win so many more medals if we can drum in a winning mentality in to these talented people. This is instead of the attitude "I'm just happy to be here and have a chance to compete" which winds me up a little

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

That is exactly what they should be doing. Rowing did a similar thing last year where they advertised for young, tall, interested people. They took them to centres across the UK and put them through tests and invited some of the to start training with an aim for 2012. Makes complete sense.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For the last 2 years the Sports Personality of the Year has been a joke...

That's unfair on Joe Calzaghe. He's been at the top of a tough sport for a decade, with a bit of luck, he'll retire unbeaten and he hasn't lived on a diet of stumblebums. He's gone to the US and taken on some good fighters.

He was a worthy winner of the SPOTY and I really don't know how he can be considered a joke.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
You could also compare the money spent to that of chelsea FC's squad wages for a year and how many 1st place medals have they got? None..... :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No disrespect to Calzaghe, but 75% of the viewers watching SPOTY would never have seen him fight. That is the joke.

How can Calzaghe inspire a generation when all his fights are exclsuively on Sky at 4 in the morning?

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
I think we should give credit where its due here. I give you......

The Labour Government :clap2:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Im loving it,something to be proud of our country for a change.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Flipping brilliant value, and I'm sure it's encouraging people of all ages to get off their arses. Personally I was inspired after the Sydney games to take up track athletics again at the age of 24, having not done it since I was about 14. I've spent the past 8 years in fantastic shape and have made loads of friends from my athletics club and now my road running club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here