Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Full English

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
2 fried eggs - sunny side up 1st. Or poached 2nd or scrambled 3rd.
2 rashers bacon.
2 sausages.
The three ingredients above are essential to any full english breakfast in my opinion.
Mushrooms fried in butter. NEVER tinned.
2 Grilled or tinned tomatoes
Toast.

Also a mug of strong tea, another must have. I didn't count that as an ingredient as I don't slosh it on the plate with the rest.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The story so far

The most popular six items for an English breakfast are...

Eggs 32 (of which 17 fried, 7 scrambled, 4 poached, 4 unspecified)
Bacon 27
Sausages 27
Mushrooms 22
Baked Beans 22
Toast 15

The rest
Fried Slice 10
Tomatoes 10
Black Pudding 9
Bubble & Squeak 4
Bread 1

Abominations with no place being part of an English breakfast (excellent though they may be)
Hash Browns 10
Sautéed Potatoes 5
Chips 1

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
The story so far

The most popular six items for an English breakfast are...

Eggs 32 (of which 17 fried, 7 scrambled, 4 poached, 4 unspecified)
Bacon 27
Sausages 27
Mushrooms 22
Baked Beans 22
Toast 15

The rest
Fried Slice 10
Tomatoes 10
Black Pudding 9
Bubble & Squeak 4
Bread 1

Abominations with no place being part of an English breakfast (excellent though they may be)
Hash Browns 10
Sautéed Potatoes 5
Chips 1

Now I know your VERY bored :laugh:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Poached eggs, sausage, bacon, beans, sauteed potatoes, toast.
and Tea.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Anyone who bans Hash Browns from an English brekkie is a mad man.. Look at them JUST LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK at them!

1736_MEDIUM.jpg

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That is the gayest breakfast in the world. Like, ever.

Hash browns are a vulgar American concept - and we don't do colonial stuff at an English breakfast table.

Yes the breakfast looks gay but to ignore hash browns? Sausages are German but I bet you ram them down your gullett like there's no bleeding tomorrow.

And Hash Browns are Irish.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes the breakfast looks gay but to ignore hash browns? Sausages are German but I bet you ram them down your gullett like there's no bleeding tomorrow.

And Hash Browns are Irish.

Sausages are German? Wretched fool. Some sausages are German. The vast majority aren't - and they certainly didn't originate there.

Hash browns are Irish? Wretched fool.

At least we agree that the breakfast looks gay.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sausages are German? Wretched fool. Some sausages are German. The vast majority aren't - and they certainly didn't originate there.

Hash browns are Irish? Wretched fool.

At least we agree that the breakfast looks gay.

Apologies after some research it appears sausages most likely originated in Iran so you will have to take them off your plate and Hash Browns are Irish. Invented because keeping ptoatos with onions kept them fresher and frying was a very easy way to cook them. Factoid.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
In addition, Tomatoes originated in South and Central America
The mushroom that we most commonly eat for breakfast was bought over from Greece
Pigs come from Asia and Africa
And chickens (for the eggs see?) were introduced form Thailand, Burma, Sumatra, and eastern India.
Tea is from India.

Oh dear TLO - enjoy your toast!

Who's breakfast looks gay now buddy!

Toast1.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In addition, Tomatoes originated in South and Central America
The mushroom that we most commonly eat for breakfast was bought over from Greece
Pigs come from Asia and Africa
And chickens (for the eggs see?) were introduced form Thailand, Burma, Sumatra, and eastern India.
Tea is from India.

Oh dear, so some centuries old (or even millennia old) originations, which pre-date England itself, preclude it from being in an English breakfast, as opposed to the 20th century American left-overs abomination you so crave?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh dear, so some centuries old (or even millennia old) originations, which pre-date England itself, preclude it from being in an English breakfast, as opposed to the new-ish American abomination you so crave?

Well, thems the facts - time doesn't really come into it by your rules. And hash browns have been around in Ireland for centuries which is why I guess Americans adopted it as they love all things Oirish!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well, thems the facts - time doesn't really come into it by your rules. And hash browns have been around in Ireland for centuries which is why I guess Americans adopted it as they love all things Oirish!

The origin of each food is completely missing the point. So you have done all that research for nothing.

It's about the tradition of what constitutes a Full English breakfast (as opposed to what constitutes a full North American breakfast). Hash browns are NOT part of the traditional Full English breakfast, though they are part of a full North American breakfast.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Egg fried
Bacon
Saute Potatoes
Black Pudding
Baked Beans
Fried Slice

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When on holiday, hard to beat The Full English Weekend Special, Tenerife Style, which will feature:

Bacon x 2
Sausage x 2
Scrambled Egg
Baked Beans
Mushrooms
Toast

... with a giant glass of orange juice for starters, three cups of proper coffee and two large brandies to accompany the breakfast feast, oh, and a side order of the News Of The World and the Sunday Mirror :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here