Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Friday night Arcade Fire fancy dress roll call thread

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I loved Funeral. But The Suburbs and Reflektor shit all over it. (and I bet as self respecting musicians they'd tell you the same). Their last two albums were fantastic. But as HT says The Suburbs is an astonishing piece of work. I think the most important album in years and years. Really summed up Mainstream America and how ****ed it was at the time and since.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I shall be washing and ironing a shirt for this event. I have not used an iron for at least 2 years; wish me luck.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Lorde is main support act for Earl's Court. Still some tickets available for both Friday and Saturday.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
So would a dinner suit be a bit over the top? I think it would be a tad warm for standing at Earls Court.

Think I may trawl some charity shops to see what I can pick up.

Been listening to Neon Bible in the car to work, fantastic stuff.

I got into AF through The Suburbs, so discovering their earlier stuff now.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Lorde is only supporting on Saturday.

Still not sorted out my fancy dress for tomorrow! I wonder how many people will make the effort?

Loads hopefully. Me for a start.

It's going to be interesting guessing who people are in the Atlas...HT will be the one who looks like Richard Fairbrass in a gold sequinned cravat (!), I'll be wearing a 4 buttoned loud pin striped suit and a red and black checked cravat. And brogues that look like spats. See you there!

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants

It's going to be interesting guessing who people are in the Atlas...HT will be the one who looks like Richard Fairbrass in a gold sequinned cravat (!), I'll be wearing a 4 buttoned loud pin striped suit and a red and black checked cravat. And brogues that look like spats. See you there!

The way things are shaping up I'll be the one in plain clothes with Liza Minnelli. Perhaps i could go as her security detail!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The way things are shaping up I'll be the one in plain clothes with Liza Minnelli. Perhaps i could go as her security detail!

I think it'll be 50/50.

I'll be in the 50 that aren't. Would love to, but work in London precludes it.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Much as the fancy dress could be fun, I'm in London for the afternoon first, as the mate coming with me wants to do a bit of Boris bike pub crawling and it's waaaay too warm to be cycling around London dressed as Noel Coward!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So would a dinner suit be a bit over the top? I think it would be a tad warm for standing at Earls Court.

No. I wore a dinner suit to the last gig.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lorde is only supporting on Saturday.

Still not sorted out my fancy dress for tomorrow! I wonder how many people will make the effort?

Correct. Tonight is Owen Pallett and some bloke from Pulp DJing. Rather annoyingly tomorrow it's Lorde and the rather excellent 2ManyDJs.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
I went to the Reflektors gig at the Roundhouse last year, nearly everyone there made an effort. It was pretty much anything goes - from black tie to random fancy dress outfits. The prevalent vibe was a sort of mix between masquerade, disco and formal - simple masks were an easy way to look the part. It definitely improved the atmosphere at the gig, really looking forward to tonight.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pink pin-stripped suit jacket (it's the stripes that are pink-pink lining as well), white shirt, gold sequined cravat and probably some gold disco glitter. Jeans and trainers down stairs though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Much as the fancy dress could be fun, I'm in London for the afternoon first, as the mate coming with me wants to do a bit of Boris bike pub crawling and it's waaaay too warm to be cycling around London dressed as Noel Coward!!

Cycling around London dressed as Noel Coward seems a very nice way to spend a day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here are the stage times:
Doors 18
DJ Steve Mackey (of Pulp) 18-19
Owen Pallett 19-19.30
DJ Steve Mackey 19.30-20
ARCADE FIRE 20-22
DJ Steve Mackey 22-22.30

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports