Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The French election

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
We were in Normandy last week, it is a lovey place, everyone was relaxed and friendly, the roads were perfect, great food and the whole area of Normandy and Brittany just looked picture perfect. I was discussing with my husband that we hoped that France would not make the same mistakes as the UK and go to the right as we have seen what damage they did and especially as the UK at the time was looking like we maybe just moving away from it after 14 years of damage.

We visited the Normandy beaches and saw the scale of destruction that was caused fighting against facism

So I am very pleased to see they have fought against it. I hope this does not cause any issues.

IMG_1707.jpeg

IMG_3654.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep, pushing far right into third place, good news.

French experts tonight on bbc/Sky mention the Far Right may well grow by the time of the next election … Macron’s unpopularity, Le Pen hopes to watch a new (Macron) centre right and left coalition in parliament deliver chaos, mass immigration, the pain in seeing ways of life disappear.

Overnight, we seem the stable half of the neighbours!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Worth noting with the Russian-backed far right not in a majority, this is a great result for Ukraine. While Macron decides foreign policy they could easily have made life difficult for him (like in the US).

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Great Camus quote in Al Jazeera

“Be careful, when a democracy is sick, fascism comes to its bedside, but it is not to inquire about its health.”

Something the French have heeded.

It was a gamble on Macron’s part and it paid off.
If the left alliance can hold (and it's a big if) then I suspect Macron is toast come the Presidential elections. He's hugely unpopular and the main outcome here is a strengthened left, not a strengthened centre right.

That said, the finer details of French politics is a mystery to me, so who knows!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
When push comes to shove .... People from from western democratic countries don't want racist leaders.

Occasionally a racist will will an election, because the electorate sleepwalked into it. Not because their people wanted it. We have long memories of the effects of racist and fascist leaders. Sure we want immigration taken seriously, but the majority don't want the shame of being led by openly racist leaders

Britain has done it's job. 1 out of 3
France has risen to this urgent situation. I salute our friends from across the channel. 2 out of 3
The States has got to rise in a similar way, and I don't belittle the complexity of the situation there. But 3 out of 3 this year is vital for liberal democracy. It's vital for peace in our continent. Come on America. Do your duty

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Worth noting with the Russian-backed far right not in a majority, this is a great result for Ukraine. While Macron decides foreign policy they could easily have made life difficult for him (like in the US).

Yep. Ukraine faced new enemies in neo fascist Le Pen and corrupt Trump. At least one’s been defeated. If Trump helps his genocidal mate Putin, almost overnight that spells the end of Ukraine one way or another. A sovereign nation of 43m can’t survive a one sided fascist war machine of Russia, North Korea and Iran.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When push comes to shove .... People from from western democratic countries don't want racist leaders.

Occasionally a racist will will an election, because the electorate sleepwalked into it. Not because their people wanted it. We have long memories of the effects of racist and fascist leaders. Sure we want immigration taken seriously, but the majority don't want the shame of being led by openly racist leaders

Britain has done it's job. 1 out of 3
France has risen to this urgent situation. I salute our friends from across the channel. 2 out of 3
The States has got to rise in a similar way, and I don't belittle the complexity of the situation there. But 3 out of 3 this year is vital for liberal democracy. It's vital for peace in our continent. Come on America. Do your duty

Are you not worried by Trump in November?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
French experts tonight on bbc/Sky mention the Far Right may well grow by the time of the next election … Macron’s unpopularity, Le Pen hopes to watch a new (Macron) centre right and left coalition in parliament deliver chaos, mass immigration, the pain in seeing ways of life disappear.

Overnight, we seem the stable half of the neighbours!
Yes, we do now, but didn't eight years ago, nor for the ensuing however many.
Rather than condemn, I'd rather that more energy was put into trying to work out why we're where we are. If that's done, then solutions become that bit easier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here