Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The French election

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And surely a new election a few months later, too. I think Macron's idea is to say "look at this chaos - you're better off with me and my team".

He would’ve learnt his lesson now, to stop being too clever by half. This almost unprecedented second round turnout prevented a far right parliament. Needs to see out his term.

A bad night for Putin.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
BBC says

Confused picture as projections come in
published at 19:00
19:00
BREAKING
Exit polls have just been made available and they all give different numbers - to the point we cannot confidently say which party has come out on top.

France Télévisions gives the National Rally between 120 and 160 seats - if that's correct then this is a surprise defeat for the RN, which would have come third.

Two other polls, including France's biggest private channel TF1 and from RTL/M6 suggest RN has come second. One other projection gives RN the biggest number of seats, but that may be an outlier.

However, what is clear is that France is heading for a hung parliament with no single block controlling a majority. The picture will become clearer in the next few hours as actual results come trickling in - we will bring you those as we get them.
But that will be fine because they don't have evil, and undemocratic FPTP. Everyone in France will embrace the outcome and tip their hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around. Hooray, hooray, hooray!

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
If the exit polls are to believed.

Record turnout of the French people pushes Le Pen into 3rd place

Hope wins over hate - Macron proving he was right to call a snap election for the National Assembly.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
But that will be fine because they don't have evil, and undemocratic FPTP. Everyone in France will embrace the outcome and tip their hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around. Hooray, hooray, hooray!

Agreed.
😀

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Terrific stuff, well done the French

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
Looks like left/green coalition (New Popular Front) 1st, Macron’s bunch 2nd, RN third. Relief all round among my pals (although Dordogne and Lot-et-Garonne are pretty much overrun by the RN)

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Great Camus quote in Al Jazeera

“Be careful, when a democracy is sick, fascism comes to its bedside, but it is not to inquire about its health.”

Something the French have heeded.

It was a gamble on Macron’s part and it paid off.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
French far right leader having a hissy fit on Sky News about “betrayal” and all that stuff

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
He would’ve learnt his lesson now, to stop being too clever by half. This almost unprecedented second round turnout prevented a far right parliament. Needs to see out his term.

A bad night for Putin.
A good night for Ukraine and Zelensyy

Le Pen‘s National Rally Party would have caused immense issues for aid to Ukraine and undermined Europe’s resolve to stand up to Putin’s aggression. On a day that the UK agreed an aid package with Zelenskyy in Kiev, most definitely a win for Europe.

Mbappé speaking out against Le Pen last week perhaps showing the French love their football heroes more than their far right politicians -

‘Le Pen lashed out at French soccer star Mbappé, who has made repeated comments in recent weeks seemingly haranguing the far right. Undoubtedly the brightest star of French football today, he joined a host of celebrities this week in calling on voters to mobilise to keep the far-right from power. “There’s an emergency. We can’t leave our country in the hands of these people,” Mbappé said Thursday, following National Rally’s strong first-round showing. “It’s really urgent. I think that we’ve seen the results, it’s catastrophic.”

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You realise that if they had FPTP then National Rally would've had a majority of seats in parliament from the first round despite only 33% of vote?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You realise that if they had FPTP then National Rally would've had a majority of seats in parliament from the first round despite only 33% of vote?
How do you know they would have voted the same way?

(On the same basis, I accept that my point was fatuous)

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
Commies and the Far Right, France is in trouble long term.
Just a wild guess here, but I’m thinking you may not know a lot about the history of communism in post-war France (?)

As recently as 1997, there were 38 communist party députés (MPs). They have almost disappeared at the national electoral level - a vacuum filled by the fascist right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here