Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Frank Lampard Conspiracy

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Why is that no TV pundit, neither on Sky or on BBC, will admit that Frank Lampard MUST be dropped from the England team? Its becoming ludicrous.

On Sky, Richard Keys brought up it up with Andy Gray the other week. Gray suggested that Gerrard and Lampard could play together in the centre, completely ignoring the fact that they tried that for two years and failed every time.

It came up again last night, and Jamie Redknapp *shock horror* echoed Andy Gray's views.

I watched the BBC highlights in the vain hope that Hansen or Shearer would admit the truth. But no. Hansen muttered some nonsense about Gerrard being fantastic wherever he plays. Shearer said that they can play together but that Lampard couldn't play the holding role. They then both agreed that neither could Gerrard. Shearer then said that it is something they could work on (somehow as if they hadn't already spent TWO F*CKING YEARS trying).

The standard of punditry is a disgrace, and the only way you can ever hear something resembling an opinion is by buying the broadsheet newspapers.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
they can and should play together. However they need a holding player behind them to make it work

Dougal said:
they can and should play together. However they need a holding player behind them to make it work

Did Svennis try that during the World Cup with Owen 'Welsh' Hargreaves in the holding role.

Neither Gerrard or Lampard shone did they?
Hargreaves on the other hand.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dougal said:

Which would mean playing 4-5-1 [or 4-1-4-1 if you like].

Cue the 'Rooney can't play up front on his own' debate.....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
hans kraay fan club said:
Which would mean playing 4-5-1 [or 4-1-4-1 if you like].

Cue the 'Rooney can't play up front on his own' debate.....

yep , also leaves us bit narrow but way i see it is if we are not going to play Beckham but continue with the clown that is Downing , then we might as well sod the wings off all together

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The pundits for Sky were abysmal last night, did anyone else notice they kept getting David Nugents first name wrong??

:shootself

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dougal said:
yep , also leaves us bit narrow but way i see it is if we are not going to play Beckham but continue with the clown that is Downing , then we might as well sod the wings off all together

The wide player player wouldn't be Downing though, if you were playing the 3 at the back nonsense, it would be Ashley Cole as 'wing-back'.

The right side is actually the tougher choice as you have a straight choice between putting the emphasis on defending [Neville] or attacking [Lennon]

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
hans kraay fan club said:
The wide player player wouldn't be Downing though, if you were playing the 3 at the back nonsense, it would be Ashley Cole as 'wing-back'.

The right side is actually the tougher choice as you have a straight choice between putting the emphasis on defending [Neville] or attacking [Lennon]

no to 3 centre backs , just go for

....................robinson
neville....ferdinand...terry...cole
...................hargreaves
Lennon .... Beckham....Lampard......Gerrard
........................Rooney

Becks back in for vision and dead balls

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
By playing them together you are putting restraints on both their natural games.

If Lampard had been playing yesterday would Gerrard have got into two such advanced positions? Probably not.

They are picked for the squad for their form in certain positions. If they are being asked to play a different role then surely that form is coincidental because it is not in the role they are being asked to play.

Gerrard must play and it looks like he and Lampard cannot operate effectively in the same team, therefore drop Lampard.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Dougal said:

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

What is wrong with just DROPPING LAMPARD, and playing much the same team as we had last night, with Downing dropped for JC, Barry or Bentley??!?!?!?!

Do you work for Sky TV, mate?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Lampard is not performing for England.

Kevin Phillips, Darren Bent, Marcus Stewart, Andy Cole etc all scored SHEDLOADS in the Premiership but never got a long run in the England team because they did not perform when they did get a game. Why should it be different for midfield players?

Hargreaves is VITAL against the better teams and Gerrard is our only consitently world-class player.

Lampard needs to be dropped because Hargreaves and Gerrard compliment each other better.

Not really connected but it would be nice to see Bentley given a run on the wing in one of the next friendlies as well.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dougal said:

That worked so well in the World Cup.

Rooney cannot lead the line. He likes to come deep to get the ball, meaning there is nobody up front, which is what happened particualy against Ecuador.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
yeah but rooney not scored when he's played coming from deep so that arguement doesnt carry heavy hitting weight

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I watched about 10 minutes of those Alan Hansen walkabout documentaries on the state of football a couple of years ago. I thought i was honestly going to kill myself if i carried on eyeing this meaningless, dispirited, congratulatory waffle.

These people played football and debated 'things' about car-size and photos of themselves in boxing gloves and knight's armour in dressing rooms, whilst forever trying to find ways to deter their involvement in their wives' lives and escape feigning anger with them when Trisha gets moved from ITV to Channel 5 or Anne Diamond hasn't yet died.

The football tv pundits' careers have ended, but they can't bare the thought of not having their waspish thumbs in fruitless pies. So there'll never be anything of worth to eat or listen to the monotone hum of.

Sorry, i've just bored myself into the ground with my comments here too. I must be one of them. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here