Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The FORTY NOTES MORE or LESS FUND

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Now that we are back in the First Division, it is imperative for Mark McGhee to strengthen the playing squad.

About 18 months ago, the 40 Notes More or Less Fund was set up with this specifically in mind. It was seen as vital as we were 100 points adrift, and Coppell needed some funds to help bring players in. And it nearly worked...

We had the Greyhound night at Coral’s, the Avoid the Drop gig at Hove Town Hall, and the buckets and bank details which, all told, raised just short of £26,000. That got us Dave Beasant, Tony Rougier and Ben Roberts on loan. This season where it did not seem so important in the eyes of many Albion fans, we still managed to raise over £4,000 from the manic Quiz Night (hands up if you remember THAT), and a fantastic Christmas Party at Concorde 2. That money went towards the loan acquisition of Chris Iwelumo.

There are still some people who disagree with the principle of the 40 Notes Fund, but this message is NOT for them. I am not prepared to debate its merits. I believe it is doing some good for the club, and that is why I am happily backing it. This message is for the people who, through various fun (and mundane) methods, would care to contribute again.

The club is STILL at Withdean. The club is STILL severely hamstrung by the limitations placed upon it. True, we have just had a massive cash bonus from the play-offs, but that money is almost certainly all accounted for, and Mark McGhee may get to see little or maybe even none of it.

At present, we are in no fit state to compete financially with the likes of Sunderand, Wolves, or even West Ham United. However, if we are to survive in Division One, we must be able to get the best available playing squad, and that squad needs paying for.

Over the coming months, the 40 Notes Fund will be having more quiz nights, gigs, greyhound race nights, a karaoke night (Sheebo?). We are currently in the process of putting together a comedy and music night, featuring some of Brighton’s finest comedians.

You can still pay into the fund separately, A/C No: 05318-022 Sort code: 23-85-89 Allied Irish Bank, Marlborough Place, Brighton.

Just as an aside to this, when we handed the £26,000 over, the then manager Steve Coppell never said a word to us - he wouldn’t even acknowledge it. Mark McGhee has already thanked us three times for the £4,000 handed over a couple of months ago. That is how much he appreciates any help the fans can offer.

Can you spare 40 Notes More or Less?

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
I put a previous thread up a while ago about an NSC raceday - special offer of £10 per person to include entrance, a drink and a £2 betting voucher - perhaps we could have some buckets or turn this into a fundrasing scheme? let me know your thoughts TLO and i can see what I can arrange from here

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
See, Coppell IS a wanker, FUMBLE.

I am willing to put my football signed by Tony Gubba, Barry Davies and Paul Rogers up for auction again. Who'll start me off at 40 quid??

:clap2:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Didn't Coppell donate something to this? Or to the REMF or something?

Or maybe it was to the players Christmas party fund. I cannot remember.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Can I just write a cheque and send it to someone, somewhere?... if so, what is the payee name, etc?... I just can't remember what to do from last time... thank you...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Cheque for 40 quid in the post tomorrow.

After the fantastic day on Sunday I feel generous .... and what better cause!

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
Bit difficult to make fund raising events from here, so I have made a payment.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Can anyone help me?

I am based in Tunbridge Wells as are several Albion fans, who to be fair are pretty much armchair fans as they all came to Cardiff but have only been to Withdean a handful of times.

I know that I could rustle up some donations but think that a fund-raising event would raise more than just £40 or so per head.
I am not lazy but would appreciate any suggestion from NSC boys as to what would work best and prove most productive.

Just to let you know there are about 30 of us including other halves etc..........

Cheers.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Digweeds Trousers: I tried PM ing you, but you don't accept them, so may I suggest a quiz night. It is probably the easiest thing to organise, and the most fun.

I can supply you with the quiz, or even travel over to do it. There would be fans from Hastings/Eastbourne who may want to make the journey up. We can quite easily get some prizes together for the quiz and the raffle. The one we had in Brighton attracted about 90 people (it could have been 140 had space permitted) and raised £500. If you can get some non-Albion fans along as well, you migt well have a damn fine evening.

What do you think?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Large One ;

Many thanks that sounds perfect. I will sort out the PM thing so that you can get in touch. Our local boozer is owned by a big sheff Wed fan and he is very aware of the Falmer situation and is a genuine football fan I know that he would have no problem in allowing us free use of his pub as a venue. Once you can PM me then I would be delighted to get you up to the quiz.

We have four teams in our local sunday football league and they would attend so numbers would be no problem.

If you have the time then that would be great as I think if you have done these before then it would make far more sense to have someone run it that has done so before. How do I PM you with all my details??

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You have to go to your User Control Panel on NSC and allow your account to accept Personal Messages. From there, either click the PM button on one of my posts, or got to the Members list and PM me from there.

PM me as soon as you have got this choice up.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Thank you... GBP 40 on it's way to Allied and the fund...

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
An Auction of Albion stuff donated by the fans I would even donate my 1964 Brighton v Oxford programme signed by the goalscoring legend that is Bobby Smith, I would try and bid for it back though, have it in a pub everyone gets pissed and bids over the odds.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
sullyupthewing said:
An Auction of Albion stuff donated by the fans I would even donate my 1964 Brighton v Oxford programme signed by the goalscoring legend that is Bobby Smith, I would try and bid for it back though, have it in a pub everyone gets pissed and bids over the odds.

Sounds good Sully. We'll organise the right occasion to auction that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here