Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The folly of Sam Allardyce

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
"Without sounding too arrogant, with the experience I have gained in the Premier League, I will be trying to bring the club together with a spirit which will achieve the ultimate, which is to get promotion back to the Premier League at the first time of asking," Allardyce said.

"The team must be back in the Premier League when it's going to move into that great venue.

"I've got to instil a little bit of discipline, a little bit of magic, creativity and certainly a bond and a team spirit amongst the players and the staff to drive ourselves on in what is going to be a very difficult season.

"I want them to be honest with me and I will be honest with them."

One word: Deluded.

Sam, your footballing philosophy is target man dross. This will see you into the first division long before the prem.

What's wrong with what he's said there? He's said he'll be trying to bring the club together, and would like to achieve promotion.

I think Gold's comments about loaning Scott Parker out for a year, so that 'when' they get promoted he can return to them, are much worse.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think Gold's comments about Allardyce being England manager next summer pure, errrr Gold!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nobody relishes playing an Allardyce team, he must be doing something right, even if it's not that entertaining.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
What's wrong with what he's said there? He's said he'll be trying to bring the club together, and would like to achieve promotion.

I think Gold's comments about loaning Scott Parker out for a year, so that 'when' they get promoted he can return to them, are much worse.

Didn't he say they would loan him out for a substantial fee, I think £3 or £4 million is what he wanted. For one season, I assume that interested parties would then have to pay his wages as well. That's a fair wedge to pay out for one season. I think he's in dreamland. They'll still be a quality side, like most SA teams they will be difficult to play against.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yesterday there was a thread about Leicester City and it was clear a lot of people hope they do badly this season. I don't feel that way - they've got a bit of cash, they've got a decent football pedigree so good luck to them.

I do, however, feel more venom for West Ham and realy hope they come a cropper. Watching that buffoon Sullivan suggest that some club might be prepared to pay a fee to have Scott Parker for a year, then West Ham re-sign him when they get promoted was absolute tosh of the highest order. That, and Allardyce's continued arrogance, really get up my nose.

I fancy there will be a few sides really motivated to bring the Hammers down a peg or two. Things are shaping up to go spectacularly wrong for West Ham and it's definitely the sotry in the making in the Championship.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Don't think there is anything wrong with Allardyce's comments there, and will always believe there is room for the "algricultural" style of football played by Allardyce teams, as long as it is carried out competently and fairly.

I've always felt the success of teams like Stoke and whichever team Allardyce is managing are a good barometer for a league. Apart from anything else, these teams ensure the basics aren't being ignored by the likes of Arsenal, or lower down, Fulham.

That said, I hope it all goes wrong for West Ham, but that is because of the total pricks in charge as opposed to Allardyce.

Didn't he say they would loan him out for a substantial fee, I think £3 or £4 million is what he wanted. For one season, I assume that interested parties would then have to pay his wages as well. That's a fair wedge to pay out for one season. I think he's in dreamland. They'll still be a quality side, like most SA teams they will be difficult to play against.

They want £4m, apparently their maths is that they paid £1m to have Robbie Keane for half a season, and Parker is twice the player Keane is. Unfortunately they are so thick that they don't realise they paid massively over the odds for Robbie Keane!

Gold and Sullivan are complete buffons, I hope West Ham really struggle.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with Pavilionaire, I think West Ham and Allardyce are in for a shock this season if they think it's going to be a doddle getting promoted, for all sorts of reasons.

Firstly, I don't think Allardyce knows this division any more. It is also shaping up to be a very tough league. If even promoted teams like us and Southampton are hoping to be competitive, points are going to be very hard-won. West Ham will be big scalps, everyone will be up for it, and they simply aren't good enough to handle that. And possibly the biggest thing is West Ham's fans, they have always been worth a few wins at home, but they have had enough and are very disillusioned. They won't be really up for any game apart from possibly Millwall, the bigger opposition generally lifted them in the PL. I would never have said this a few years ago, but I genuinely think the atmosphere for a home player will be more healthy and supportive at the Amex this season than at Upton Park. If they start to struggle, it will be murder.

And even if they do it, what have they got to look forward to? A crap new stadium with a terrible view. Or a year of court cases. Or both.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
What's wrong with what he's said?

Please let's not make Allardyce this season's obsession like Atkins was last year.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I agree with Pavilionaire, I think West Ham and Allardyce are in for a shock this season if they think it's going to be a doddle getting promoted, for all sorts of reasons.

Firstly, I don't think Allardyce knows this division any more. It is also shaping up to be a very tough league. If even promoted teams like us and Southampton are hoping to be competitive, points are going to be very hard-won. West Ham will be big scalps, everyone will be up for it, and they simply aren't good enough to handle that. And possibly the biggest thing is West Ham's fans, they have always been worth a few wins at home, but they have had enough and are very disillusioned. They won't be really up for any game apart from possibly Millwall, the bigger opposition generally lifted them in the PL. I would never have said this a few years ago, but I genuinely think the atmosphere for a home player will be more healthy and supportive at the Amex this season than at Upton Park. If they start to struggle, it will be murder.

And even if they do it, what have they got to look forward to? A crap new stadium with a terrible view. Or a year of court cases. Or both.

Football has moved on greatly in just the last four or five years. I believe that Big Sam is out of touch with the game and how to set out formations for success. These days teams pass and move (us) not lump it and chase. As Gus says, football without the ball is athletics.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Would really like to hear from some long time WH fans what they think of the set-up at the club. They seem to be spending like there's no tomorrow, new players ,moving to new stadium, if this goes wrong could it be another Leeds?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here